Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redrawing county boundaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

My favourite ridiculous bit is having Coleraine town not in Coleraine county.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Again. Can you at least give some Political or Economic reasons why the county lines should be redrawn, beyond some notional sense of historical tradition? River boundaries might make neater maps but it's one thing to include a whole town within a county, without wholesale rejig of entire regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dublincc2

It should be relocated west of the Bann as it was before the plantations of the 17th century. Therefore it being mostly in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

So, do you want the river rerouted, or the buildings and roads moved across to the west of the river. Bearing in mind most of the town, including the centre, main retail district, town hall, university and schools are east of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why on earth would any urban planners revert to 17th century boundaries?

Respectfully, but is this serious and did your research actually end at 1900? You seem to be willfully ignoring the make up of Ireland's urban centres as they exist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An awful lot of effort, energy, inconvenience and money…. For the benefit of nobody….

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How many towns would you find in Ireland where the majority of the population *want* to transfer to another county?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And that's the problem. South Kilkenny people don't want to be Waterford and south Clare people don't want to be Limerick but in terms of administration it makes perfect sense.

I honestly wouldn't give a shte if you called the Limerick city urban area the "Shannon region" or some other crap but it makes more sense than some NIMBY plonker rural councillor from Ballylander or Rathkeale getting to have an opinion on city matters when a councillor from Cratloe can't.

You might not have to "transfer" at all but rather make new counties like Cumbria did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So you can't quote any sort of historical reference for your proposal. It's just made up.

• Advertisement

No. It’s based on historical precedence and the reality on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

It'll be a fcuking cold day in hell before I accept forced reunification with Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm going to take a wild guess that the OP doesn't happen to be from any of the counties that they are proposing to eliminate with a stroke of their pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Right, so the OP wants rivers to be the county boundaries, but not always, just in some cases, others are still pretty much random, wants to join some counties together whilst leaving others as they were.

Being from Louth I'm quite happy that we have been left alone in this masterplan for the redivision of counties other than shipping us to Ulster.

But lets be realistic, if you were re dividing the country why would the smallest county in the country be left as with its own county council whilst merging larger counties into one with one council?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

We have the typical double the size of Dublin Lebensraum factor in full effect. From a Dublin poster what a surprise.

I don't know about many of the supposed historical claims. However I know that Carlow once contained large parts of present County Wicklow, which was not founded until 1601, the last county in Ireland. Previously most of Carlow was controlled by the Wexford Kinsella clan in medieval times.

There certainly is no historical record of Dublin ruling over these regions. In contrast the Kinsellas actually ruled over Dublin for a period during the 11th century having captured the town from the previous Viking rulers.

Dublin is more than big enough, adding a rural county area with many mountainous regions won't alleviate any of Dublins current issues.

Prove it. Show some detail about these "reality on the ground" that the merges will bring economic benefit to the communities and areas proposed for changing. Historical precedence means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

For me the obvious changes would be west galway joining with mayo and in Munster north Kerry joining Limerick and south Kerry and west cork. There are stark cultural and historical splits in the different regions of galway and Kerry. There's also a strong football/hurling divide in Kerry and galway.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Best response so far 👍🤣

I'm honestly surprised this thread is still going, the mods must be in a patient mood today

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They shouldn’t change the county boundaries. But the local authorities should be re arranged dropping the inefficient and frankly stupid county arrangement. At least two or three county units or rename the local authority areas like in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I get the impression this is a windup but are you not contradicting yourself there? In your first paragraph you say any land south of the Suir is in Waterford (which is false), but then in the second say that towns straddling rivers mean county borders are moved across the river (which is true).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Wicklow was always split between Dublin and Carlow:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The history of pre plantation Ireland was quite fascinating, their was no organised Irish nation but a patchwork of Norman lordships and Gaelic clan territories. All with very different laws, customs and even languages.

Then the English came and created mostly arbitrary counties with no regard to the people who inhabited the areas.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Welp. I've asked multiple times for some kind of rational economic justification to completely redraw Ireland's county and urban structures - beyond some Pie in the Sky twinkly notions of Ireland before Dem Across the Water came. None given, so not a serious thread. Best let it die on the vine so; adiós.

The counties were created in the first place with a stroke of a pen, so I don’t see what your point is. My argument is that they should be altered to reflect the current realities on the ground as well as to restore the old Gaelic divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

This is an interesting statement. There was a boarder review some years back that looked at the Waterford / Kilkenny boarder. You're certainly right that South Kilkenny people don't want to be in Waterford, but that doesn't mean that the majority of people in the region it was recommended be taken into Waterford didn't want to be in Waterford. Since there are more Waterford than Kilkenny people in that region at this stage. I remember RTE doing a report in the local primary school before the 2008 AI final and practically the whole class was supporting Waterford. The reality is that Waterford has spread into South Kilkenny. From an administrative point of view, it's bonkers that the council responsible for this area is the one focused on KK city. It's also bonkers that Waterford as a county is split between City folk and Westies and the council offices are not in the city, but that's another story.

Of course administrative boundaries should be redrawn. But I don't really see any point in discussing it because I can't imagine politicians doing anything that could harm their election prospects.

I also find it particularly annoying when people bring GAA into it. Why on earth would the GAA have to follow the government when redrawing county boundaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

On the last one they wouldn't but people who don't understand things get all fire dup about it.

English cricket still uses the historic counties. Middlesex for instance have a team and in rugby still have a league despite the county no longer existing as an administrative area.

Larger subdivisions means a larger local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But you're not restoring to old gaelic divisions. You're just trying to wipe out the partial impact of the plantations. Gaelic divisions didn't have counties. Picking your own arbitrary date is nonsense.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

Advertisement