Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think that's your fantasy. All people are/were slaves.

Irish people/celts were 100% slaves. Where they the first? I doubt it.

Africans had African slaves etc. American slavery is very recent and was barbaric. But please stop trying to write your own history. It shows you up to be foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can you explain how FDI is taking jobs from American workers?

Post edited by Floppybits on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I think this applies to silver spoon elite at times too. If they had to do a hard days slog to pay bills and keep a roof over your family head and too busy to worry about whoes breaking rocks on the far side of the planet.

Maybe white privilege be the last thing on your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Agree but you dont have to go to the other side of the world to find people who wake up each morning and worry about the day ahead. Certainly considering themselves to be in privileged position would not be the 1st thought to cross their mind. Not everyone resident in this country, temporarily or otherwise, is in a privileged position. Whitey Irish are not all JP McManuss. Maybe rather than brow beating ordinary people with a priviledged name tag, these concerned folk would be better off targeting the reasons all people suffer with disadvantage and seek to identify tangible means to reduce this disadvantage. Probably not cool though though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Can I ask if I should feel guilty being a middle aged male hetrosexual Caucasian in Ireland? Just the farm takes up a lot of my time.

Nah. I don't. Kinda racist if you ask me(as well as sexist, phobic and disgusting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What is mad is that Irish feminists are the one's pushing white privilege while simultaneously believing women are oppressed!!! How can both be true, both very extreme positions polar opposite of one another....These are grown adult women.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have you ever knowingly been discriminated against for any reason? I'm asking because most people who come out with those kind of statements have never actually knowingly experienced discrimination. You can be better treated that someone else but still not treated as well as someone else and once it happens to you'll get it.

If you go into a Swiss federal office or are stopped by the Swiss police along with a German, then as an Irish person the chances are good that you'll catch an breaks going and he will not despite the fact he will be talking same language as the official is and you'll be speaking English. And they probably will not even bother to hiding the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

But that's got nothing to do with what I said.

If I said I believe I am privileged and i'm also oppressed, how could I expect anyone to take me seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's only on the internet I feel privileged. What's privileged?

I worked and have my own house, two cars. Should I feel bad for that? Feck that.

Because I have crap suntan I should feel guilty? Different levels of melatonin? It's racist.

I hate white people hating white people. I'll guarantee they have done nothing in their lives and living off their mammys apron strings, pathetic.

Grow some balls boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Jaysus we're rapidly descending into a space where it will not be socially acceptable to dislike someone, or more accurately to articulate it in public. In fairness we're borderline already there in the schools. Recently heard of a crisis almost classified as bullying where a 10 year old boy told a 10 year old girl he didnt like her. Would have thought that was a rite of passage from both sides😂

How did the schools handle it? Rang up the boys parents and said this was a serious matter and the girls parents had made a complaint. What next🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Just standard doublethink really

Dogmatic belief in completely contrary stances

Similar to how they want to protect Muslims freedom of beliefs despite them being sexist and homophobic. If the exact same beliefs were being espoused by white Irish people i.e. the Catholic Church of old, they would be dead set against them.

Cognitive dissonance incarnate.

Delete

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Politicians arguing Irish white privilege has become the modern Irish version of the four Yorkshire men sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭lmao10

Would I have a much harder life in Ireland if I looked like Lebron James rather than being a pasty looking Irish man. 100%. Are the far right people on here going to pretend they'd not discriminate against someone looking like that? I presume getting employment, housing and just life in general would be harder. He'd probably do better than me on Tinder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Do we have a history of systemic racism in Ireland? Does someone who looks like Lebron James not live a better life here than the country his parents likely came from (of which they left of their own free will for a better life)?

As a left handed women, “my people” have more of a history of systemic violence and oppression against us in this country than black people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

Presumably a perfect human calling everyone that doesnt agree with his ideas far right. Is life that simple in some peoples eyes? Hope Santa called to all and you feel priviledged this mornings🎅🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

White folks are the only race willfully throwing their future away.

Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, we have only become racist since the foreigners moved here 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

All humans, and not just whitey Irish naturally favour their own kin, whether it be family, people from thier village, town, city, province, country, on and on. Always was. Always will. Nature of the beast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not the skin colour, it's the general looks, body language, vocabulary and accent that will do you in, just like if you were a pasty Irish traveller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nah, not at all.

Most people just treat people like people.

And you don't have to be racist to others to favour your own 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. It’s a fundamental evolutionary behavioural pattern.

Evidently, the only people who fail to acknowledge this are a small cohort of posters around here. Given their posting ‘throughput’, I’ll wager that their experience of real life relationships is, shall we say, rather limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,866 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's just context though. Beside one person you'll have had a privilaged position by comparison. Beside someone else, they'll have had a privilaged position in comparison to you.

Going back to the OP, the thing referenced was not actually saying "all white people are privilaged", it was talking about actually just being aware of one's position, just being conscious of what things might make life easier, and what things might make life harder (with being white, or being Irish cited as examples), so you can maybe help or even just be empathetic of others. And maybe make choices (voting etc) in a way that will provide more equity with those above and below. It's reductive to just look at it as "white male", there's myriad little benefits that one person may have over another from the get-go - most probably coming from the financial class, family, and location you're born into. IMO there's no harm in teaching people to just be a bit conscious of what's going on around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If Irish White Privilege does exist, and I've no doubt it does in aspects, its been well earned by Irish people whose hard work and entrepreneurship have made themselves and this society wealthy. It was a very different story when I was young, I can assure you.

And for many years it was hindered by the inate conservatism of government, rather than enabled and supported. Governments have invariably proven themselves to be well behind the zeitgeist of the people.

However, if there is a sense of privilege, it doesn't concern me particularly. It contributes to confidence and enthusiasm and I'm really gratified to see in my friends and family that they make sure their kids know and understand how lucky they are, and that only hard work will give them a life that they want for themselves and loved ones.

A friend of mine is a multimillionaire, he owns and runs a couple of midsize businesses and has a wonderful life doing it. But his eldest kid is 11, and a more kindly, more empathetic boy you could not wish to meet. He will be plenty spoiled this Christmas, but do you know when their kids get to open their gifts on Christmas day?

When the family gets back from 3 hours serving lunch to the less fortunate and those alone today, at the local Rugby club.

Have faith in this Country, I do.

Wtf are you on about. You think the irish had it good throughout times. Read a history book will ya.

Work for it and fight for it like the irish did. We dont owe shite lads.

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

The problem is the same kid will look at his so called privilege and say the same of the rest of us. There inlies the problem right there.

Start preaching from on high to us all down the road. Which is basically the parents fook up to begin with. Would u agree? Some people are so sheltered it results in ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You're mixing up internet stories , slavery was very much part of our culture

Completely useless fact though in relation to how it keeps coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

It's been hidden from our history how cromwell kidnapped thousands of irish and shipped them off to Caribbean to the plantations in the 1600s...they literally raided villages and grabbed young children which were never to be seen again. i believe Rihanna has irish heritage descended from some of those slaves

also earlier than that, it's never mentioned how dublin had the largest slave market in europe run by the vikings...they shipped irish slaves all over europe and to the middle east...i believe this may be the reason why some middle eastern people have blue eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's recent enough, we had a few slave masters of our own, our patron Saint being one of them. Obviously that could be made up but it's still tells us slavery was part of us

Advertisement