Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Betty Fri 18 to early Sat 19 Aug 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Strange to have a storm come directly from the south this time of year with such heat over spain & france..and its not an ex hurricane...unusual could do damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I think the orange warning for Wexford/Wicklow there is more for the immediate coastal areas. The only model showing the more severe gusts inland is Harmonie. Even Met Eireann themselves are showing average wind speeds of around 40-45kmph and gusts around 70kmph for my area, which is only 20km in a straight line from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

What's the chances they'll cancel sailings out of Rosslare port tonight. I'm on a boat to Bilbao at 11:30pm. Seems the worst of it will hit Cork not Wexford right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd say Cork is getting it's usual flooding but with a big + sign to go with the potential for worse.

Trees in the East are definitely not going to appreciate this one with the switching in strong wind direction and unusual initial strong southeasterly. If it plays out as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Things seem to be really escalating now. Models did not nail this one in advance. Interesting 24hrs ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Rainfall warning seems to have updated

Status Orange - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Tipperary, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain with thundery downpours on Friday and Friday night and combined with very strong winds on coasts at times.

Potential Impacts:

• Localised flooding.

• Difficult travelling conditions.

• Wave overtopping on coasts.

Valid: 13:04 Friday 18/08/2023 to 23:00 Friday 18/08/2023

Issued: 13:05 Friday 18/08/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yellow - Rain Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

The highest rainfall totals are expected over east-facing high ground of the Mourne Mountains, Antrim Hills and Sperrins where 40-80mm could accumulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ECM looks very severe across the South as the low moves in! Bordering red, certainly high level orange!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

I gues it has changed. I see Laois and Offaly have no warnings now for rainfall.

Excellent. Thank you thomil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Ironman taking place in Youghal tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if there were weather impacts to the day, I guess the sea will still be pretty rough first thing tomorrow morning, and there'll probably be debris / surface water to contend with for the bike leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Not nice

Whoa Storm Betty, bam-ba-lam

I guess if was clerical error. Giving a yellow warning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Heavy rain across the South now. It’s the perfect storm for downing trees as the soil will be extremely saturated by the time the worst of wind arrive. Orange level rainfall for a good part of the day before the orange level wind tonight. Trees in full leaf as well plus ash dieback disease has become much more prevalent over the last couple of years. Definitely not worth driving later this evening and tonight for the counties under orange warning.

Models not agreeing on the track for this. WRF and GFS have it on a more Westerly heading while the UKMO HD has it more Easterly. So where the strongest winds are going to be isn’t certain yet.

ECM and Arpege want to keep the LP on a more Westerly heading too. So maybe the UKMO HD is the outlier for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

This feels like 7/8 weekends in a row there. Is there any science to why these cycles of weather are 7days apart and therefore every weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Closed the prom in Tramore and are erecting all flood defense's in Waterford. Not seen that happen in a long time (flood defense's)

This is a very early storm. If memory serves me ex Hurricane Charley was around the 25th August 1986 and rain was more a feature than wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is this storm an introduction to what may be to come this Autumn/Winter? Could be a stormy one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Saz_ie

Red marine warning has just gone up for Carnsore Point, Dungarvan, and Mizen Head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m down here now, absolutely lashing down and wind getting stronger now. I’d say it will unfortunately affect the half IM tomorrow. I’m racing the full Sunday so hopefully will have all settled by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm Ellen happened on 19th August 2020 and was followed by one of the least stormy winters on record 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Starting to rain here in NE Kildare. Kind of a calm before the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Red warning now and the wave height has increased.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sferics appearing ,well off the coast yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Waterford Airport have forecast gusts up to 55 knots later. Strong system inbound.

BECMG 1820/1822 21025G35KT 9000 NSW SCT010 BKN015 TEMPO 1822/1824 22030G55KT -RA BKN010

Can't remember it at all. Maybe lost to me with the covid period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Meanwhile Cork Airport currently reporting just 2km visibility in heavy rain with the cloud at 200 feet. Thats a miserable afternoon

EICK 181400Z 10017KT 2000 +RA BKN002 15/15 Q1001 NOSIG

Advertisement