Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LEXUS under performance in Ireland

Options
  • 12-08-2023 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭

Toyota must be delighted with their importers performance over the years, however its hard to see how they are not disappointed with the LEXUS brands performance in its 33 years here .

i would have said Lexus have done a good job in distinguishing lexus from its poor relation Toyota , however why have irish buyers not taken to the brand ?

Tesla have sold nearly as many cars this year as Mercedes , which proves irish buyers are not only will to buy german premium brands .

i can recall passing through Riga in Latvia ( latvia has a pop. of about 1.5 m ) and being amazed to see x2 large standalone lexus dealerships on different sides of Riga

i think when it comes to prestige brands standalone ' destination' dealerships are very important to the buying experience .

Lexus Blackrock which would be the best located dealer being located in South County Dublin , however the dealership is attached to C& K TOYOTA. Toyota have been getting rid of small dealerships so how are they still Toyota dealers ? is it just because if they lost Toyota , the lexus garage would also close ?

Becoming a standalone lexus dealership would be a better idea , but I think standalone dealerships in high profile locations would be better .

i think Lexus ireland should open high profile standalone dealerships in the likes of Dublin and Cork , give dealers the chance to lease / run the dealerships and then possibly buy the dealerships qwhen they are successful and established ( so no risk for dealers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

Pre 2008 most of their cars were in the €1800 tax bracket which didn’t help sales

Even post 2008 lots of their cars have high tax, €1200 Lexus RX for example

They sold lots of hybrids before hybrids became popular here

Very few diesel options, and up until recently diesel was very popular here

And lots of Lexus’ here are used imports from Japan

Maybe just some of the reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

People in Ireland can't see past German brands when it comes to the prestige end of the market.

You mention Tesla but that's only recent and appeals to a different type of buyer.

If I was buying a luxury car in the morning it would without doubt be a Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lexus were far ahead of the pack when it came to luxury and reliability.

When Mercedes decided to enter the Hybrid SUV market they gave their engineers a blank cheque to find the best option. The answer they got back after much research was the Lexus Hybrid SUV that was in production for the previous 2 years could not be improved on.

Mercedes bought the rights to use Lexus technology.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I agree they're technically superior as is the build quality.

But for too many sheep it hasn't got a German badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Their offering to the market is poor at the moment, the CT200h and IS300h have been discontinued a couple of years ago, these were the big sellers here. The UX is just too small and cheaply laid out inside to consider premium. The lack of the LS is surprising, they should keep the flagship available for a premium brand, I see it's still available in RHD form in Cyprus for €100k.

For multi-millionaire airline CEO's that have taxi plates to use the bus lanes the Lexus LM should appeal to them, coming to the UK soon...

• Advertisement

Looks like a Toyota Alphard. They are JDM but I’ve seen a few of them in London. Very luxurious

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1. Lexus have little or no presence here in most people's minds.
    2. Their dealer network is small and scattered. I bet most people don't probably know where their nearest Lexus dealer is.
    3. Their model line up is limited (at least in Europe). The German's have a model in nearly every segment.
    4. Lexus seem more focused on the massive US market where they are more successful.

Its hard to distinguish Lexus models from their lesser Toyota cousins. I sat in an ES 300h recently and while the build quality was fantastic, it felt like it was designed 10 years ago. Fiddley small buttons all over the centre console and small infotainment screen with a dated interface. The ES is also about 10k dearer than the Camry on which it is based but doesn't feel worth 10k more.

On the plus side those that like and buy Lexus models tend to be loyal to the brand by continuing to buy them. Their reliability is far superior to their German rivals. If only Lexus could be bothered offering something that more people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭goochy

Lexus never sold in big numbers here , the amount of uk imports here possibly making someone think loads of ct2000 and is300 were sold here but this years. Sales are up on previous years and there is a new small hybrid Lexus due based on a Toyota but reworked . The LS is available to order ( it’s micheal martins gov car ) but it doesn’t sell well any where as while it looks great it’s flawed . That could be Lexus problem , No great cars all flawed like many Japanese cars but they still sell well in other countries and Audi don’t exactly build class leading Cars . Regarding the es and Camry , I think the €10 k is worth it as Camry is as dull as dish water

Yes there is something about Lexus that just isn’t connecting with Irish buyers , I thought with hybrid becoming more popular Lexus would capitalize on it in recent years but they haven’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not a proper comparison. Tesla are not a traditional car company. They sell exclusively online where they have a well established brand and presence even in Ireland. Their bricks and mortar centres are basically just collection points for customers. However Tesla are not a premium brand. Lexus compete directly with Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

Cars registered so far to date - Audi 4446, BMW 3779 and Mercedes 2496 while Lexus were way down at 499.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Do they have any interesting cars in their current Irish line up. I think they've always been seen as exceptionally well made and reliable but otherwise quite dull.

Anyone I know who had one, had nothing but praise for them. Never did anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

They are a fancy Toyota. Solid as a rock, very little goes wrong with them and they will be around in 100 years.

Toyota itself tried to jump into that market with the Camry which was a upmarket saloon but the market had moved on from cars.

Tesla is not a premium brand. They have dropped their prices multiple times to try shift their cars. The customer base for Tesla is really the people keeping up with the Jones and want something to show off at the golf club.

I find it a strange market at the moment, you have BYD walk in as a "cheap" electric car and they are starting at 40k with people rushing out to buy them. They look ok outside but the interior is f**king dreadful. Renault are selling a Megane for 40k as well because it's electric.

In reality with all the prices Tesla have dropped their cars they should be unable to keep them in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DrPsychia

I owned an is300h for a couple years. I was amazed how plush the suspension felt and how solid everything felt in the cabin in comparison to German cars in the same segment, no rattles or creaks whatsoever. However one thing I disliked about the IS300H was the centre tunnel/infotainment, it felt outdated compared to the Germans. No auto-hold button was annoying and I believe they didn't have this option until 2019/2020 meanwhile it was an cheap option or standard in German cars from 2012 onwards.

They didn't grow here in the past 20 years because of the lack of a diesel option and motor tax was very high due to the big petrol engines, such a shame as they are reliable and comfortable cars.

it doesnt explain why they are successful in other countries and not here , also high road tax hasnt been an issue since hybrids came out .

if they dont succeed here with LBX - based on Yaris x - the importer should be sacked

They still had high tax up until 2010. GS Hybrid was still €800, RX was €1,250. Before 2008 they were €1800

It took a few years after the tax change in 2008 for the tax to come down on them.

Its a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hmmmm, I dunno. I know I certainly can now at any rate.

We have 3 Merc's in this house and 1 996. My C-class and the 996 I'd be happy to change to a Lexus for tbh.

The SO loves her CLS and the YO is keen to move on her A-Class, ironically looking at Lexus too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Lexus are shite.

elaborate ? they dont seem to be best drivings cars in their class thats for sure , but then neither are Audi

• Advertisement

The exception to the rule however. I'd love a Lexus as I just think the build quality is a mild beyond anything from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Why are they not successful here? most people see them as a Toyota and just buy the Toyota instead

I’d imagine 90% of people don’t even know that Toyota and Lexus are related

Anyway the same can be said of VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat but they are all popular enough here

I think they went after a very small segment of society somebody in management that like to golf. Traditionally in Ireland the majority of people that drive Lexus are usually older which hurts their appeal.

the styling is far from conservative these days - brand awareness / image are obviously poor here .

lexus should be surveying buyers of the German three brands on why they havent bought lexus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Imported a ct200h then traded for a 162 is300h, quite happy with it but hate hate hate the infotainment system...not sure if it's much improved in newer models. Not sure what I'd switch to next, not a great selection available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm hoping my next car will be a reliable and luxurious Lexus.

infotainment in jap cars a common problem , who would have thought the one time world leaders have fallen so far behind

• Advertisement

Toyota system was shite as well, still is if you ask me

Advertisement