Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singers who can't really sing anymore

Options
  • 11-08-2023 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

...and who should not be performing again.

Mary Black- Superb singer. Loved her voice. Now it is gone. Sad.

Elton John- Embarrassing now.

Paul Brady. Lovely voice but again not anymore.

Bob Geldof- Haven't heard him in ages but considering he hadn't a note in his head anyway then hopefully that's it with him.

It is really cringe to listen to these folks at this stage.

Anyone else who it really is sad to see can't do it anymore and who should stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Bonnie Tyler sounds like she has been smoking 2 packs of filterless Woodbine a day for the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rod Stewart

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I had thought of him but he always had a dodgy voice to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

Bon jovi also struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Bob Dylan

• Advertisement

Axel Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Bob Geldof- Haven't heard him in ages but considering he hadn't a note in his head anyway then hopefully that's it with him.

He's not the greatest singer ever, but he's not too bad doing Eva Braun (by far my favourite 'Rats song); far from not having a note in his head...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bono - lost his voice in the late 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Elton & Rod Stewart need to pack it in asap. Considering what they ask people to pay to see them. Both are hitting 80, Stewart 78 and Elton 76….and just need to bow out while people have positive reflections of their talents. Never an Elton fan.. Rod in the ‘70s the Faces and early solo career was good… been a bit of a caricature really for quite a while, the silly suits and tabloid stuff, needs to call it a day now the voice is shot. His upcoming gig in Las Vegas, back row, top tier worst seat in the house, including fees $103… 🙄 factor in taxis, food, you are talking about 320 quid for two people to see an aged old past it rocker do a 90 minute set if you are lucky…I’m reading Rod Stewart generally leaves the stage twice during his show for a rest where the backing band and backing singers perform… not great…

saw a clip of Liam Gallagher, while not the greatest singer his delivery had attitude, edge and uniqueness and he could hold a tune. Good rock singer….. Sounds like an asthmatic drill now…. All them pints and fags obviously not helping his voice. 50 years old now… sounds 70.

Bob Dylan is like Rod Stewart. Always questionable from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dylan now sounds nothing like he did in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s…… again, what he charges is based on his reputation / legacy…

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

Keith Duffy 😆

Paul Young

Limahl

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

Jonathan Dowdall

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Completely wrong on Paul Brady.

Saw him at Forest fest only 3 weeks ago and he was as sharp as ever. No discernible difference in his vocal whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Saw Paul Brady lately and thought he was great. Bit more relaxed and easy going as well compared to when I saw him years ago.

Packed out gig as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Stewart and Dylan never really had great voices, and are prime examples why you don't need to have a great voice to be a great singer. Some of my favourite singers are, ostensibly, not great singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McCartney. Gone.

Rod steward. Completely gone but he is thinking he can move to jazz to get a few more years out of it.

Elton John - Thought he got away with it at Glastonbury from what I saw on tv.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bernard Sumner, can probably still do it with enough warmup time and attempts in a studio but live is quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah it was never really about the vocals but I saw him performing live on TV, might have been for the Queen's platinum jubilee (see below) and it was embarrassing for all concerned.

I say that as someone who'd afford him a lot of good will for his 'legend' status.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Freddie Mercury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jon Bon Jovi, his voice is absolutely gone. There's nothing left, Rod Stewart above at least still has a recognisable tone....poor Jon's is completely shot.

Axl Rose, same. Granted he had a style that was likely never sustainable long term, but it's sad to see him gone from that raspey/raw sound to something terribly unrecognisable now.

Liam Gallagher, lost it a long time back. That said, there's some more recent Glastonbury videos that shows he's made some effort in regaining some form. He at least still has potential, but how long that will last is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Vince Neil sounds like Eric Cartman these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

That's kinda the opposite of what happened.

Bono was ropey enough in the early days for U2 but developed into a decent singer,not spectacular.

However in the late 90s and early 00s his voiced changed,he's talked about this often, he became a much better singer as he got older.

I was at his solo gig before Christmas, nowhere to hide on that stage and it was the best I ever heard him.

I saw Elton John in Cork last year and watched him play Glastonbury on the telly. Still has a great voice and a massive pair of lungs.

Might have lost some range, but the dude is 76 and spent the entire 70's drinking and taking drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't really agree. If people don't like it they should stop listening to them.

If someone has loved singing all their life, and people want to see them I don't why they shouldn't.

Most of these don't need the money. They are doing it because they like performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I thought Elton was great on Glastonbury as well. That said I wouldn't normally listen to him.

Yeah I agree about SOC. The bit where she tore up the Pope' picture. Before that she was 'singing' something or other. Absolute cringe. Is there anyone who could say that is singing? Can never watch it-too embarrassing. But I never understood how people seem to be in awe of her voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Just to balance things out......having seen Tom Jones last year and Gladys Knight this year I can confirm they are both sounding phenomenal 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Madonna. I'm not a fan so I don't care, but I saw her performing live on telly in the last year or two and she was terrible.

Advertisement