Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct booking date when stopped by gardai

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Avon8

I got waved on once I showed my email with booking time/date. This was a few months back though

Don't really get this mindset of "its no excuse for you to book one way in the future", despite nothing else being available. If its a legal requirement then its up to them to ensure there's no backlog. As someone said, if you don't book that time in the future now you may end up with nothing.

I'd hazard a very strong guess if you fought any charge there'd be a close to zero chance of it sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

But there are other dates available. If you book online for a date a year in advance your just lazy. All you have to do is call and you’ll get a date within 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

Yes but name one other service where 3 years ago you could book online with a reasonable lead time and now to get a reasonable date you have to call with no garentee or try an book at close to mid night costing you more of your time to get the same level of service as before.

The service has gone backwards and it should not be accepted. Imagine if from next month to tax your car you needed to go into the tax office and they only acepted payment by cheque, an extreme comparison I know but an apt comparison none the less I think.

I trust in the decency of the guards who are people just like the rest of us and live in the same world as the rest of us, that they will wave me through or tell me get it tested ASAP and show the cert at a station in so many day. Treat them with respect and they will respect you i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

But you don’t have to book online at midnight. You simply call them and you’ll be given a date within 3 weeks. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

There is no NCT backlog. The online booking system is just misleading and broken. I agree the system has definitely gone backwards, but its not as bad as people make out. People are just ignorant of the fact that they will get a test date within 3 weeks if they call to book instead of book online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Don't think this is the case for every NCT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Show them the text sent from NCT. For appointment next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ever business is struggling for staff. We've no more 24 hour supermarkets. We've feck all GPs or dentists, try getting a dentist or GP as a new private patient! Waiting lists for the HSE are spiraling out of control. Pubs and restaurants aren't opening on certain days to due to lack of staff.

Where has the service gone backwards? Everyone I know who called or went on the wait list got their NCT before it expired. So the only issue is the website which even the NCTS have admitted doesn't have all the slots on it.

It's not the Gardaí you need to worry about. You're insurance could be invalid as they all require the car to be road worthy and a lot require an NCT. Having an appointment for over a month away means that you are taking the p!ss as they will give you an appointment before they have to give you a free test. You don't even need to call them, you can go on the priority list from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Mine was due recently and all test centres in Dublin giving the ridiculous time slots of Feb 24, instead I looked up Drogheda centre and got one for two weeks later.

Small centre, I was in and out in about 20 mins it was perfect.

Maybe I was just lucky with cancellation but worth checking out centres not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Meeoow

So many drama queen's complaining about not being able to get a slot online. Just ring and you'll get a booking within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If it's the case just a phone call will get everyone a earlier booking then close down the online booking and get everyone to phone up, then no back log it's that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

The Garda don't care once you have two out of the 3 but insurance is a must and tax can't be out years. Stopped loads of times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This! It’s what I’ve always done; if nothing available in Dublin the. Enniscorthy, Arklow, Drogheda, Navan etc. plenty of people around the country have to travel a distance to an NCT centre on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Getting an earlier one from phone calls or the cancellation list is reliant on most people just accepting the 6-7 month wait.

I've always got one within the free-if-not-delivered-within period, because they absolute despise giving them away. Feck all people know it exists; and they refused to honour it for ages - may still be doing so actually, but they really have no basis to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mine's out two and a half years, couldn't give a b0llix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes last time, I contacted the NCT centre when I got the reminder and hoped for them to get me an appointment before the expiry like they've done other years, but this year I ended having to book myself into Arklow the day before expiry, when I'd still not received anything back from them.

Advertisement