Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct booking date when stopped by gardai

Options
  • 10-08-2023 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi all,

so my Nct is out next week, booked it but the nearest date is February 2024. I have heard recently that the gaurds can now prosecute you for it being out of date regardless of how bad the booking backlog is . But just wondering are they actively doing this or are they turning a blind eye because they know themselves how bad the situation is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Booking a date for February is no excuse. Just call the customer service number and you’ll be given a test date within 30 days.

No one here can tell you what a particular Garda will do on a particular day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agreed, I got a ridiculous date when I tried to book earlier in the year.

I signed up for the waiting/cancellation/priority list (can't remember what it's called) and I got at least three appointments for one week's notice before one of them actually suited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, definitely call them, you should get a much sooner date, probably within the next few weeks, theyre not offering all slots online at the moment, due to the backlogs...

you d probably get away with an nct a few weeks out of date, but a few months, more than likely not, which would probably lead to a fine, points, possible even confiscation, so.......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Also if you check online late at night, you will often find more dates have been released.

That's how I got mine last year, after initially only being able to find dates that were months and months after the due date.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The last few I've booked, I just kept a tab open on my phone and refreshed throughout the day. I got my test on the same day I booked it in the end. The idea that bookings become available late at night doesn't seem to be correct as far as I was able to see. They process them during the day, and they can pop up at random.

OP, I would call them and see. But my method works well too, just refresh and check often you'll get a date.

• Advertisement

...wouldnt make much sense that appointments only become available at night, id imagine an element of human interaction would be required to oversee the system, and would people be truly doing that!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah it's not too outlandish an idea, and perhaps it did happen at some point. There could have been a backend scipt/batch job to publish the available slots over night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, it was a tip I read somewhere. I was having no joy up to then. Might not make sense but it worked 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got reasonable dates for both me and my father when checking around 11:30pm on different occasions. I checked randomly during daytime too and there wasn't a slot to be found that wasn't 6 or 8 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've found that 11:35pm is the time when the slots become available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

With all the awareness of the NCT backlog, I still don't understand why people are waiting so late to try and get an appointment. Some of my cars require annual NCTs, so I just rebook the following years when I'm waiting in the centre. 3 minutes work.

I'd regard it the same as booking flights/accommodation. The later you leave it, the higher the risk of not getting anything

...tis common human behavior, most people behave as such, yes we all should do what people like you do, but we simply dont, its normal....

...im in the same boat, annual test, have i rebooked for next year, not a chance, as the car is on its last legs, and i may not have it next year, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This kind of behaviour of booking slots months and months in advance contributes to the perceived backlog also.

Most NCT slots are not made available at all until 2 weeks before, as staffing of the centers is only confirmed at that point. If you put your name on priority list or call them and do same, they will offer you those slots between 1 and 2 weeks notice.

You should not book months ahead of time as they only offer limited slots that far ahead, and then as more people book far ahead the dates get pushed out months and months, when in reality the NCT centre has excess capacity and nobody should need to wait past their due date. The capacity is there in most test centres, you just need to go on the shortlist.

...eerrr emm, no its not, the whole test system is clearly severely under resources, we d call this, clearly obvious, blaming customers certainly wont solve this one, as its not a customer side problem, talk to the lads working there, and they ll tell you so, theyve been telling me this for years, so much so, theyve been considering taking on non or under qualified lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

It takes 3 minutes and the fee is fully refundable up to 5 days before the test.

happy days, i still probably wont do it though, again, this is normal human behavior, most of us will simply delay such decisions, as we normally have much higher priorities in life, again, this is normal, i.e. its a part of next years problems....

It's clearly not. Whether I book it now or 1 week beforehand (and get a date) the end result is the exact same. So you're saying, if I know I need to book it every year for a certain date, I shouldn't do it, as that means others can't book. But if I wait and book the exact same date anyway, it somehow magically means more spaces are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My own car was off the road for a good while with engine problems, rebuild engine myself now ready to put back on road.

NCT due date NOV 22, next available date Jan 24 online.

Now if i get on phone for short list for available dates and get one earlier new nct will still run out in November so could end with only a couple month's of NCT, is this correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Guards have been taking cars for no nct at the last few check points Ive seen ,I gave up trying to get one after 2 Seperate dates were cancelled over the last 12 months for mine ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

One of the NCT centre managers posted it on another site - they release slots at midnight once staffing levels are confirmed. I’ve seen It in action first hand where a heap of slots become available as soon as it hits midnight.

Cancellations are released real-time - so you’ll constantly see individual appointments appear through the day.

Was booking tests for two cars myself this week - there were mounds of slots available for Northpoint 1&2 all this week and next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Less than half the slots for a given day are released well ahead of time. When you book a year in advance, you are occupying these slots.

Then the next person to book around then gets pushed back a day, and the next, and the next etc etc

Eventually people are logging on and seeing months long delays for appointments because they try to book ahead of time, whereas for each day a large set of free slots still exist to be allocated only 2 weeks or less ahead of time.

What ends up happening is test centres rarely get 100% of appointments used for any given day because not enough people wait and ring up to book 1-2 weeks from test date when the staffing is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Do they have the capability to do this nowadays ? Up until 3 or 4 years ago they would tell you that their booking system didn't cover more than six months ahead.

...and for everyone else, the NCT Customer Charter (which is basically their contract with our Government) still states;

"We aim to ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual NCT centre is less than or equal to 15 days. You will be provided with a test, free of charge, where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period, unless any of the following apply".

Do not make an online booking months beyond the expiry date, just phone them and insist on a Test within 28 days. And BTW you are entitled to decline the 1st two appointments offered if they don't suit you.

Post edited by mgbgt1978 on

Ok but it's still the same point. Booking it in advanced is NOT the issue here. It's the lack of staffing. The arguement of booking that far ahead is causing the issues, is no different to those booking a week ahead of schedule based on the above logic. Whether you book a year ahead and get a slot or a week before and get a slot is the same arguement.

The point being raised here is, book ahead, get a slot. Don't book ahead, don't get a slot. It's not a hard arguement. The counter arguement being made is, don't book ahead, but boon just beforehand and you Amy get a slot.

For me, I'll book ahead, as that gets me a slot. If others don't do that, that's on them, but I shouldn't be left on the naughty step for actually getting a slot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

I did that on a thursday night got a booking for the saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, if your car is prepped and ready then you can get a very quick slot depending on the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i have just booked my wifes car in for retest earliest date 23nd next wednesday would like it sooner just in case it fails again to book again before 31 days is up.

Phoned them and was told that date is the earliest they have and too ring back everyday to see if they have a cancelation, is there a good time to ring morning or evening of a better chance of getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Alfaguy

Where do the slots become available? If I enter my already booked in car reg No (Jan 29th) all I get is the option to cancel or reschedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Click reschedule and you can choose another date

• Advertisement

Ring your local centre and they’ll give you a slot asap

Advertisement