Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E10 "Hegemony" Warning may contain spoilers.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No it's not. It's only for American actors, especially those belonging to the likes of the Screen Actors Guild (which is nearly all of them). What that means though effectively is any production (bar a handful of exemptions) featuring an American actor is on pause , which includes 'Star Trek'. It doesn't impact British or Irish shows (where there's no American actor they need) for example so we could maybe get 'Star Trek: Fairhaven' up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's a bit nuts that all of Starfleet seems to go to San Francisco and have the same few professors 😁

All hang out under the same tree and pester the only groundskeeper.

Lad playing Scotty was grand but had a touch too much of the Pegg comedy Scotty. Also it's annoying how they seem to be constantly reinforcing what a geniuses himself and Uhura are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I found the Scotty guy quite annoying tbh. Hope he's not a permanent fixture for season 3.

Really. I thought he was good and certainly much less annoying than Pelia. She will hopefully go off somewhere else next season maybe to Memory Alpha station or something and Scotty will become the Enterprise Engineer hopefully. That would make sense considering how much of the Enterprise he knows about when Kirk is Captain.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You thought he was annoying and also good 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

TNG Borg Cliffhanger Sound Effect at the 45 second mark here for anyone who wishes to observe. I know I just did 😁

TNG Best of Both Worlds Part 1 - Cliffhanger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

I was thinking of that cliffhanger too! What I think makes the SNW one stronger is the sheer panic on Pike's face. At least Riker (thinks he) has a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was quoting Stark. He found him annoying I did not.

Also yes it is possible to find someone or something annoying but good too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Quoting usually comes with a pair of these "" otherwise it is just saying something yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Just in case it's needed. It does make it very difficult to follow when you can't tell it's a quote or not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's one small touch I should mention that I approved of. When Chapel shot the Gorn, the writers resisted the temptation to have her spew some action movie quip, and she just shot it and got it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Oh, talking about small touches, I'm positive the computer used Majel Barretts voice, or at least a very close approximation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

We are speaking of the SAG-AFTRA as it impact's Star Trek, and since manyactors in the show are american, they cannot work on SNW irrespective of where it is filmed, unless they get a waiver from SAG-AFTRA.

Some shows (for example season three of Tehranm currently in production in Athens) has such a waiver.

I thought it was odd when everyone was excited by Scottys Gorn cloaking trick.

Did the Enterprise crew not already use the blinking light communication to gets the Gorn to blow themselves up last season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Episode 10 should have been episode 7 out of 10. 😜

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I misread it as you saying all actors were affected but yes, otherwise we're saying the same thing in our posts - shows filming can't have American actors without an exception and there's precious few of those. Only fear would be shows getting axed and replaced by reality junk instead if it goes on too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I was thinking (hoping) this too. They surely have already got the second part recorded.

If it is to be a two year wait, please give us a "special" and show us part two next year. 🙏🙏🙏

As the ship was taking the pounding and the Star Fleet orders were being called out, I realised we were heading for a cliff hanger and I was waiting for a "Mr. Worf ... Fire!" type moment. But then we got nothing!!! AAGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

I wonder though, was he hesitating because he knows his fate, in that he cannot die here because he has to become horribly disfigured at a time some years away. Does that make him think he is ... invincible???

I liked this episode. It moved along nicely and it was clear they spent quite a lot of money on it. That may be why we had to put up with so many filler-ish episodes. 🤷‍♂️

If I remember correctly the last big strike is how we got Battlestar Galactica:Razor.

I think they had shot the backstory of Pegasus already and spliced together to make an episode or something like that.

So ya it would be great if they could drop the next episode as a standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Great episode. Lots of good stuff throughout the episode.

My thoughts

Adult Gorn look like the Covenant Sangheili from Halo.

Young Scotty seems bit young, but great acting and straight away he's playing the miracle worker card. Is it a reconn woth him serving on the Stardiver ?

To Be Continued.....yes that sucks, but fcuk did it bring me back to the TNG days.

Batel, yeah we all knew this was coming.

Gorn tail.....totally ripping off scenes from alien and Xenomorphs in general, but it works. Gorn are smart Xenomorphs.

The whole dont start a war thing......but the Gorn destroyed a Federation ship and massacred and ate her crew. That kinda means they're starting a war, or is April trying to avoid conflict since Starfleet is still recovering from the Klingon conflict.

I like how they explained the midtown USA style stuff lol

Bet ya the Gorn are undergoing some sort of evolutionary process or something.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I like how they explained the midtown USA style stuff lol

I was straight onto memory alpha/wikipedia wondering if it was that Landru planet from TOS.

"Adult Gorn look like the Covenant Sangheili from Halo"

I'm surprised this has been said more. Was the first thing I thought. Something about his movements too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

I say the sets used for that location are well gone at this stage? Maybe you found more information?

Scenes on this planet were filmed on a backlot in Pickering, Ontario, originally built for the Amazon Prime Video series Reacher.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

That's a really good observation, and excellent sci fi consideration point, that Pike knows any choice he makes, he survives*. So the choice for him now becomes solely about saving/sacrificing others. Classic sci fi trope and I love it!

*excluding our nonsensical friends 'time travel' and 'multiple realities'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

10 out of 10 !

Only downside:

to be continued ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hasn't the timeline being changed from the first episode of this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Only when the eugenics war was suppose have happened in episode 3. Pike's timeline hasn't been altered?

Edit:- And we know from Season 1 finale, that he cannot alter his fate, without consequences for others.

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭nachouser

The one niggle I have is that there could have been someone else still alive aside from Chapel. 30 secs to have her do a "how much oxygen is being consumed on the ship and is it consistent with any more survivors?" or some such check.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is kinda annoying, but I think it's also exacerbated by a bit of a leap forward in time. So she did seem to have a clear span of time after stabilising the life support and before Spock shows, as it would take a good while for him to get prepared and across. Even a quick few seconds of an insert shot of her checking a body or two would've solved that. Because otherwise we're left with the suspicion Spock splattered a bunch of people against a Gorn tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

We'll see 'in time' how much they are going to lean into the timeline changing thing. As soon as they introduce that to a world, they basically render everything as temporary and changeable. Which means anyone writing Star Trek will be hampered by the sins of past writing, which has had loads of it. Hopefully these writers will do what they can to veer away from time nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fantastic ending to the season: tense, exciting and I really like what they've done with the Gorn. They took a fairly goofy enemy from TOS and turned them into a vicious species; one clearly modelled on the Xenomorph from the Alien franchise. The lazy option would have been Klingons, Cardassians - or the Borg - but instead this lets a previously unheralded species have some time to shine and break away from its prior, limp appearances.

Quite liked this Scotty on first blush; I had wondered if and when more TOS characters could appear and I had an inkling the Chief Engineer role might become a rolling one - Carol Kane never struck me as someone around for the long haul and more of a One Season bit of casting. So she leaves after a couple of episodes of Season 3, Scotty already placed to take over.

Chalk this up as another show, alongside Silo, where my support for the Strike is tempered by the frustration it's delaying shows I have enjoyed and want more of. Terrible timing in some ways - but dropping the mic on a ballsy cliffhanger should also keep the enthusiasm chugging away.

Same. I was waiting for that moment where somebody checks there were no more survivors - though given how badly the ship was trashed the FX did underline just how gone the vessel was.

• Advertisement

Advertisement