Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E10 "Hegemony" Warning may contain spoilers.

Options
  • 10-08-2023 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Well it's finally here, the finally to season two is upon us.

Let's hope it's good and does not leave us hanging because with the current strikes going on in Hollywood who knows when season 3 will drop next year if at all.

Oh 25 minutes in. There is a nice surprise. I will not spoil it for anyone just to say I never would have guessed it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by AMKC on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was interesting.

The bad news is they leave us hanging no. Let's hope it's not another year before we find out the conclusion to this.

Of course this episode would be so much better if we did not know that some of the crew or former crew do survive unless it was going to be an alternate timeline. In fact this nearly would have being better setting its own timeline and course as then they could have done anything they wanted with the 4 or 5 crew members that we know survive.

Of course for anyone new to Star Trek that watches this and has never seen TOS or even DISCO they can enjoy it more without knowing and I envy you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭redunited

The expected date for Season 3 will be in 2025 I am hearing, because of the writers' strike.

Enjoyed this episode, been a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

What @AMKC mentioned as a spoiler: -

With the addition of this episode, Martin Quinn becomes the fourth actor to portray the role of Montgomery Scott. James Doohan originated the role, while Simon Pegg portrayed his alternate reality counterpart. Matthew Wolf voiced an alternate version of Scotty in "A Quality of Mercy".

Don't like that we have to wait until 2025 at earliest to resolve the cliffhanger.

And building drama around characters we know survive doesn't work.

With the addition of the above, I thought they may have caused the death of another character.

^^^ Trying not to have spoiler content in my comments.

Edit:- And if they dropped the musical, it would have been easier to fit in two part episodes this season.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

Ending the season on a cliffhanger was a real WTF moment. Especially as Season 2 wrapped over a year ago and no indication of when S3 is entering production.

Does the writers' strike apply to productions made outside the US?

Otherwise a very solid episode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was really good! Right at the end I was like "leave .. leave .. Leave .. LEAVE!" .. like a good minute before the Starfleet order came in.

Total Kobayashi Maru. Get outta there while you can. Maybe this will tie into Spock inventing the Kobayashi Maru. I duno.

What a freakin cliffhanger!

Gorn are freakin scary. Those space suits they have look like space marine armour type stuff from other scifi. The grown Gorn with the tail have such an advantage it feels in zero g. I dunno. Maybe.

When they get wiped out it'll be wierd.

Great performance out of Melanie Scrofano. It's kinda cool remembering her from Wynona Earp and seeing her in the dark Starfleet jacket.

Oh and hearing the computer voice in the background while Chapel was waking up on the Cayuga, I couldn't help but think about Majel Barrett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was really good! Right at the end I was like "leave .. leave .. Leave .. LEAVE!" .. like a good minute before the Starfleet order came in.

Yes I was the same. Like thet were out numbered 4 to 1 and out gunned too so the only logical choice is to get out before they take out your engines because all they are to the Gorn as Le'an would say and has said is food and used for breading there young Gorn.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Damn - did not want that to end!

And those leather jackets look really good

Some nice use of the old "planet that looks like a current Paramount set due to sci-fi goings on"

Also they remembered that ships of that era were build with rocks in the wall.

Funny we were all talking about Simon Pegg recently. As much as I would prefer to see no TOS crew at least he was Scottish 😁

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I feel underwhelmed by it, but I can't really say why.

It keeps a steady, thought mostly stately pace, with no filler.

The Captain Battel twist was already obvious from the previous episode, so the only real twist is that she makes it to the end credits. Scotty's appearance feels a little forced, but he's not over the top and works well so far.

The cliffhanger feels frustrating though, given the long gap between these short seasons. Which may also be why it feels underwhelming, everyone spends the episode advancing their plan, save colonists, destroy tower, etc, but there's only half a conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It's going to be a llooooooonnggg wait! Not crazy about cliffhanger endings but that was a solid enough episode. S2 hasn't been as good as S1 but still MILES ahead of any other recent Trek. Going to have to find something else to be the highlight of my Thursdays!!

Another else think Battel is heading for a transportation vacation.

At least it didn't end (it still might) with April warping in with like 200 Constitutions to save the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the gorn are cold sensitive, an ice bath might be a tad more efficient.

I'm not sold on the Gorn depiction. They're small, lithe and vicious, almost a full 180 from the slower but more cunning TOS depiction. Having them frenzied by some lights does make them more unique and exotic, but also makes them seem less sentient and less developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭nachouser

The curling tail reminded me a lot of Alien(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wait all for season for that... lots of silly episodes in between :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

CaptainBatel asks Chapel if Korby didn't mind her showing up early, and Chapel points out that in space, no one ever showed up when they meant to.

Reminded me of the below: -

A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Barely know where I'll be tomorrow, let alone September! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Scotty! Sure weren't we just talking about him in the other thread. New guy seems pretty good so far.

The gorn episode finally anyway. It was fine. A little dour maybe compared to most of the season. I think I might enjoy it more on a rewatch actually, when I know the outcome already so I'm not watching it for that sense of excitement. Because there isn't any when you're watching most of these characters do perilous things. Gosh, I wonder will Spock survive this time! :-/

But if you excuse that then wow, some great set pieces and effects. Constitution class saucer floating ripped in half in space then crashing in flames onto a planet. Wow. This is a good show.

"Can't make this red alert any redder, Mr. Spock." Ha!

Bloody to be continued though. Grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The last Gorn appearance was very reminiscent of Alien if I remember correctly then having seen Alien 3, I knew why the Gorn didn't attack her.

What were the chances that Chapel was the only one to survive? Of course maybe others were just unconscious as well but are now all dead.

Was trying to work out how the Gorn tails work with the space suits.

Great episode that may have resulted in me shouting at the tv when those 3 words came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think I was confused in my memory of what the Metrons did. Thought they wiped out the Gorn but not so (had to check the wiki though to be sure).

Definitely thought the same about the jackets! Liked the look and the Starfleet patches looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Can't make this red alert any redder, Mr. Spock." Ha!

At least not until the ship upgrade anyway.

I found the Scotty guy quite annoying tbh. Hope he's not a permanent fixture for season 3.

Also, having to wait till 2025 for more SNW. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Not much I can say that hasn’t been said here already. I liked it. A great episode I thought. It felt slightly hamfisted getting Scotty in there but it wasn’t implausible either. I have the impression now they’re clearing the way ahead for a new Pre TOS Kirk’s enterprise shoe after Pike ends up in the chair. I will say though that I’ll be genuinely sad when Pike meets his fate now. They’ve done a great job with this crew.

Im annoyed about the cliffhanger too. We’ve had two fan-candy episodes this season now with the LD crossover and the musical. If only they’d left one til next season and done a two part finalé instead I think we’d all be talking about it being a stronger season overall. It’s another episode I ended Up really enjoying much like the M’Benga/Chapel episode 2 weeks ago. I’m curious how these all stand up to rewatchings but don’t think I’ll be too disappointed.

Cliffhangers worked well in 22 episode seasons where you only had 5-6 months to wait for tge conclusion while anlso enjoying summer in between. Now it’s at least 10 months and longer by all accounts. No bueno 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well I'd be pretty certain they must have filmed most of the second part of the episode barring retakes, cgi and stuff, they could easily release the second part as maybe a season hiatus episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭nachouser

I kinda liked the cliff hanger. Should they go all in or should they pull back, knowing what he knows about his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not sure about the writers, but the actors strike is world wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Great episode to a middling season. Too many filler or wacky episodes for a 10 episode season. At that Ending borders on abusive with the long wait for a resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Have to say I'm somewhat surprised people are a bit down on the cliffhanger. I think it's great! Obviously a pain falling during a writers strike, but from my perspective SNW has been working through the Trek episode tropes,so a cliffhanger makes sense to me. Especially if the intention is for a conflict with the Gorn permeating season 3.

Really liked the episode, though there were some parts where I felt I was missing a scene or something. Could be down to watching it too late last night after a long day. I quite liked the lad playing Scotty, thought he was pretty good and to me they had the character down pretty well. Though I wasn't too happy that of course he was also in Pelia's class. That's a bit much on top of Una also being in her class and at this stage her main contribution to episodes she's in is to say that someone was in her classes and she failed them. Though maybe it's just that the actress hasn't gelled with me at all.

I thought the wreck of the other ship looked class. It's either very convenient that Chapel was the sole survivor, or a terrible tragedy that the other survivors got to experience a D emergency landing.

Overall pretty happy with the season. I don't think it was up to the same level as Season 1, but still a fun show with potential.

Advertisement