Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on trucking. Keep on learning. From novice to... who knows

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

About 6 weeks since last update (hate posting on my phone)

I've continued my focus on exclusive Zone 2 base building.

Since the last update, I've managed weeks of:

(all kms): 60.5, 65.5, 120, 42, 78, 78.

So, really happy I managed to keep up a good volume through Christmas and all it entails.

Plan for the year is coming together:

Last week I managed to get an entry to the Donadea 50k on Feb 10th when some became available. It was always a run I wanted to do so when a ticket became available, I grabbed it, even if I am not particularly prepared. Plan will be to do a few 30-32k long runs in the leadup and see how I get on. All I want to do is finish in the 5 hour cutoff, but we'll see what happens on the day.

Art O Neill pursuit is this Friday night. 25k from Dublin to Kippure. Again, not racing it - just one for fun.

I also finally committed to Connemarathon in April. Its another I wanted to do. Again, just running for the enjoyment of it, but I'd love to get home in 4:15. I'll worry about pacing closer to the time.

To support the above, general plan is a midweek Half, 30->32k weekend LSR, 1 day speedwork, 10-12ks on three days, and a rest day Sunday or Monday depending on when LSR is. All Zone 2 easy except for speedwork (moderate tempo run). After Donadea I'll revisit.

8th January - 14th January

Continuing to run by HR following 80/20 principles. 

Monday - 8k @5.58 min/km (avg. HR 143)

Tuesday - 12.5k - Cruise Intervals from 80/20 Matt Fitz book

10 mins @ Zone 1->2

4x10 mins @ Zone 3 with 3 mins Zone 1-2

10 mins @ Zone 1->2

First time doing anything most than easy in a couple of months. Felt strong, but it also feels a long way from the 10 mile tempo runs I done under Hanson for DCM23. Hopefully thats just rustiness, but saying that, with Donadea and Connemarathon ahead, I’m not particularly concerned with speed, just endurance.

I've been reading part of Matt Fitz's 80/20 book again. I am tempted to use one of the plans for Connemarathon.

Wednesday - 21k @6.25min/km (avg. HR 140)

Thursday - Rest for Art O’Neill tomorrow.

Friday - Art O Neill Pursuit. 10pm start.

Run Report (not calling it a race report as I didn’t race)

Decided to run this to HR - staying below my LT (recently measured by Garmin) of 163, partly to see how I get on, but also because I need to put in some 20+ milers over the next couple of weekends so needed to hold back.

I parked the car at Kippure just after 6 and took the organised bus to Dublin Castle. Got to the Castle maybe about 7:45. Still over 2 hours before the start, I checked in and went for a ramble around town for a while, but soon went back to the Castle to wait. Lots of waiting, but it was warm. This may be the only downside of the entire evening.

I decided to wear shorts as it wasn’t too cold. Also got to use my Pretzl Swift SL I got for Christmas (loved it - so comfortable and the reactive lightning is an excellent feature). Had my hydration vest with bladder and took 3 gels (used 2).

We started bang on time, and it must have been some sight for the people around town, and in particular those coming out of St Patricks Catherdral to see about 170 people running by them en-masse with head torches and high viz vests. 

There were no marshalls along the route so we had to navigate red lights and cross roads ourselves, but it was fine at that hour, particularly as we got out of town.

The hat came off after a few k and the gloves a little later as I wasn’t as cold as I expected. Most would know that the route from Dublin to Tallaght is a long uphill drag. No big hills, just a constant steady ascent. I settled into a pace of about 6 min/km but I was only focused on my HR - always keeping in the 150s, low if possible. By now the field was fairly spread out and I was in a bunch with a few others.

It was steady going and uneventful really until we got to the Stone Cross about 15k in. That’s when the climb really started. I walked/ran for the most part, and while I could have run more of it, again, focused on HR and staying below LT. 

An aid station had jellies and water so I took a few jellies to nibble on and they were fantastic. I ate a couple and put the rest in my pocket for later, and continued on. As the kms went by, the field really thinned out and as we got higher the fog came in. At times I had about 6 feet of visibility. Mostly I could see the faint lights of other runners in the distance but at other times I could see nothing ahead, with some lights behind. I passed by plenty of the folks trekking the ultra (they started about 90 mins before us) and I was partly jealous and partly glad I didn’t have to get out into the boggy fields overnight.

There were a couple of kms of good downhills which I used to really open the legs, but funnily enough when I was looking forward to the next uphill to give my quads a bit of a breather from trying to control my speed. 

The last 800 meters is always the toughest. There was an uphill and a couple of bends all while you could see the finish line in sight. 

Afterwards I headed inside and they had an excellent spread. I had a hot dog, declined the soup, and had a few chocolate digestives. After a while I retrieved my drop bag and headed back to the car. That walk back was absolutely freezing. I quickly through on some dry clothes at the car and drove home. 

Getting into the shower, I found the left over jellies in my pocket which were some of the  nicest jellies I have ever eaten. Glorious.

Sleeping that night was hard as my legs were quite sore (partly due to pretty much going straight to bed).

Finish time: 2hrs 43mins. 

Avg HR: 153

Avg Pace: 6:21 min/km

Total Ascent: 568m

I will almost certainly do this event again next year. The only downside is the waiting around before the start, but it was well worth it. It is pricey, but it’s towards an excellent cause.

Everything else was great. 

Saturday - Rest

Sunday 10.5k @6:09min/km (avg. HR 139)

Easy running.

Total for the week: 78.5km  8h 6m

Total for year: 156km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Good to see you come away unscathed from AON. I hope you got some good rest this week as there's not long to go until Donadea. It is a relatively flat course but that hill after about 1Km on each lap will feel like it is getting higher and higher each lap. As there's a table to store stuff on, it means you don't need to carry anything with you whilst running. Prep everything bar anything you have to mix with water a few days in advance. Divide it up into smaller chunks so you just a little fuel to consume at the start of each lap.

Thanks @py . I think I saw you had to miss AON. Shame because it was perfect conditions.

All advise and tips on Donadea welcome. My goal is to finish by the cutoff as I just want to do this for the experience.

When we leave stuff on the table, should I bring a small box so my stuff stays together?

I'm also wondering about the water. I don't like using cups so thinking of bringing my own small bottles of water. I assume if they were in my own box, people won't help themselves?

People won't touch your stuff. Everyone is in the same boat of needing their fuel. Here's a picture of my own supplies from 2020 version. I had it all ready in a tupperware container. You might find the odd person standing in your way but they'll be quick to move.

• Advertisement

Thats brilliant @py . Thanks for uploading that pic.

15th January - 21st January

Skipping speed session this week as last Friday night was a big effort.

Monday - 10.5k @6.08 min/km (HR 139) - Miles

Tuesday - 12k - @6:16 min/km (HR 141)

This felt a little tougher than it should have. 

Wednesday - Decided to take a day off as have some hard days ahead and yesterday wasn’t as easy as it should have been.

Thursday - 19.5km @6:09 min/km (HR 142)

With the focus this week on Saturdays long run, and knowing Donadea is a relatively flat course, and with most the paths still very frosty, I decided to run down the greenway from Sallins. With packed gravel and in the sun, it was really nice and safe underfoot. 

Pushed the pace a little towards the end.

Friday - 10km @6:50 min/km (HR 128)

I was originally going to do a 6k easy around the block but MrsRef asked if I would run with her, and she wanted to do 10. Only issue was that we needed to go after work, so it was a 6pm run when I knew I would be running at 9am the next morning. I don’t usually like evening running as my recovery tends to be better if I can run earlier in the day. 

Run was fine.

Saturday 32km @6:26 min/km (HR 144)

As I often do, I had no idea what route I would do so just start running towards Naas town. Reaslised I could probably just make it for the start of the park run so jogged down and got there with about 10 seconds to spare which was fantastic timing. Great to be running with people and break the monotony of a 3 1/2 hour run. Done 4 laps of the course, not going through the finishing gate. The breeze was also pretty heavy going up the exposed back incline of the course.

Back on the roads and toddled along, deciding on the route as I went. Getting to about the 20k mark, I was beginning to feel it. Some discomfort in the groin or inside of the hip area. Also, quite fatigued below both knees on shins and less so calves. Reckoned it was down to the miles over the last 3 days, but nothing that particularly concerned me injury wise. I've often had these discomforts moving to longer distances. Told myself its only 12k to go, and visualising a 12k route I would often take. It got really really tough about 27m mark as I was heading towards home. I was dithering about whether to call it a day and just run home which would bring me to about 30k, particularly as I was running up the bridge over the train tracks in Sallins. Got a little bit of a second wind though and ploughed on to get to the 32k more for the psychological toughness. That was my 7th longest run since I picked up running in late 2021.

Overall, I found it very tough going towards the end, but I just finished a few days of heavy running and it was quite breezy, so not surprised. I also decided to limit my fueling, and only took 2 gels - 11k and ~19k, so I was probably running on fumes towards the end. 

Sunday - Rest. Couldn’t sleep in and was awake  before 6. Made up for it with a nap on the couch in the afternoon :-)

So, less than 3 weeks to Donadea. I have one more 32k run planned for next week before tapering. With a goal of finishing in the 5 hour cutoff, I am feeling good, but I am holding all judgements until I complete the 7th lap (assuming I get there) on the day and see how it goes. I plan on going at an even pace throughout - 30 min laps.

Need to start thinking about the fueling plan. Probably a gel every second lap and some dried fruit (I often use apricots) on the other laps. Some jellies in my pockets and a few packs in the box.

Hydration - I was originally thinking of wearing the Salomon vest (still considering it) and bringing 4 soft flasks (500ml each), wearing one and leaving the rest at the start line. Not sure what I'll do - may depend on the weather.

Total for the week: 84km  8h 54m

Total for year: 241km

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you look at past Donadea results and click into the splits, you’ll see that the vast majority of runners fade badly over the final 2-3 laps. The nature of the course and the field makes it easy to get carried away and run with a group that’s a little hot for you - it always comes back to bite you, so be super careful about this, especially the first time out. If you really want to just make the cutoff, consider sticking to the 5 hour pace group. Best of luck!

Thanks D. Always appreciate your sage advice.

I reaaaalllly want to get home before they stop the clock, and that's my only goal to be honest. So, my plan is to run the whole way with the 5 hour pace group as you mention. Fingers crossed...

22nd January - 28th September

Last week before the tapering starts for Donadea. Couple of interesting takeaways from this week:

• Tried Tailwind for first time on a long run (huge success)
    • Managed a 34k LSR in very blustery conditions and still had something left in the bank.
    • My Shokz are packing in again. Same issue as before - left side volume very low compared to right. Had the last pair about 8 months and these one not even that. Another warranty claim to submit.

Monday - 10.6k 6.02@min/km (HR 142)

Tuesday - 19k@6:11min/km (HR 144)

Went out after work which gave me some extra time, so went further than I typically would on a Tuesday. It was a very breezy day so had to work harder than I would have liked, but I had the wind on my back the last 5k which was nice.

Wednesday - 10.5k@5:51min/km (HR 142)

I don’t really know what happened today, but my HR was significantly lower than it has been in some time. Maybe the calmness and milder weather helped. Maybe it was because I wasn’t wearing a jacket as I have been doing recently. Who knows, but it was very very welcome.

Thursday - 18.9k@6:03min/km (HR 145)

Another breezy day which made the second half harder as I was into the wind most of the way. There were also some moderate hills, but I wanted to try keep the pace closer to 6min/km as that’s what I’ll be doing in Donadea. 

Friday - 9.6k@6:10min/km (HR 141)

A write off of a run. Got into an argument with a guy who decided it was a good idea to park his truck on the path, completely blocking it and forcing me to run at dusk on the road into traffic coming around a corner. 10 minutes later he is driving down the road, he stops 50 meters in front of me and gets out wanting to shout and argue and tell me what he thought of me. I didn't feel unsafe mostly because he was an older larger guy, but looking back, it’s quite scary that he got out of his truck again.

Besides that, I had planned to go 16k, but after about 6k, I had some discomfort in my left lower calf, so decided to play it safe and just run home.

Saturday - Rest. 

Knowing I had a long run tomorrow, I gave myself a day off to recover. Last weeks LSR was quite difficult towards the end, and wanted to see if it would be easier this week with the extra rest. I had a €10 voucher for RunHub that was going to expire, so diverted into the Leopardstown shop and decided to give Tailwind a go. Got Naked flavour as well as Mandarin.

Sunday 34k @6:17min/km (HR 143)

A hugely successful run. 

When I woke up Sunday, I could hear the wind blowing hard. Knew it would be a tough one. I was kind of dreading heading out for 3+ hours.

I filled the bladder with 1.5liters water and 4 scoops of Tailwind. Also took 4 gels with me and planned to take them every 6-7k.

The first 4k was slightly uphill into Naas town, into the wind, but I knew after I got there, I would be turning around with the wind behind me all the way to Prosperous. I got to Prosperous about the 17k mark and turned around and ran back into mostly a headwind, but there was some protection in the trees. After being chased by a dog on the way out, I decided to run an unpaved section by the canal back from Digby bridge to Sallins (about 3k) on trail and loose stone. That section was very much into a strong headwind which got my HR going to about 150, and I was glad to get back onto solid underfoot. Worked it back into Naas along the canal again into the wind (a little sheltered). As I approached the turnaround point in Naas town, I decided instead of running back the straighter route home that would get me to about 32k, I would take the longer route and go for 34k. I was feeling pretty good considering, and knew that either way I would have the wind at my back. 

Chuffed to get 34k done, and was thinking that there was more left in me. If I had to, I felt could have gone the full marathon distance, so very positive last long run.

Quick word on the Tailwind. I sipped on it regularly throughout, and took a gel every 7k. I finished the full 1.5 liters I had mixed it with and I really felt like I still had energy. Sure I was tired, but I felt so much better than I had done in previous long runs, even though today was very tough conditions. 

Now starts the taper - this week ~55k,. Next week ~22k..

Total for the week: 103km  10:30h 646m

Total for year: 343km

• Advertisement

Brief update, mostly to keep me honest in my thoughts before tomorrow...

Due to rain, the course is slightly altered. Instead of the usual 10laps, its now 14 smaller laps. Same distance overall (50k). Makes my fueling timing a little more messy, but not an issue.

Caught a virus with symptoms starting last Friday. Saturday went to KDoc as was in a bad way. In bed till Tuesday.

Wed: short 6k at v easy pace (7min/km). Sore throat and coughing. Not looking good for Saturday but hope to at run at least a few laps if I can.

Thurs: DOMs from yesterdays run but improvement in sore throat. Ran 8k over lunch at 5:50min/km. Feeling better, and reckoned if I had to, I could do a half.

Friday: Excellent night sleep last night. First decent one in over a week. Nagging cough and a little lethargic, but otherwise feeling much better. No idea what I will feel like tomorrow, but I've been carb loading and resting, so preparing that I might be able to go the distance (I won't know until I get going).

Plan for tomorrow is the same as original - go out with 5 hour pacers and stick with them for as long as I can. I plan on using Tailwind in 4 soft flasks, bringing one in my vest and gabbing another from my stash every 4th lap. Also have 4 gels throughout, with a few more in the stash.

All I can say is I expect to be able to do at least 20k, and probably 30k. After that, it all depends on how my body reacts to the illness break. We'll see what happens...

Best of luck at Donadea. Stick to the plan and hope for the best.

4th March - 10th March

It’s been a month since I last logged, as I wasn't sure how to report on the Donadea 50k. I initially wrote up something and then deleted it wondering if I was being unfairly harsh, so a month later, reflecting…

In the end I was a DNF at 27k. I woke up on the day feeling “just okay”, but not “good”. I got down early and picked up my number and the merch I had ordered. Due to rain the course was altered so we were doing 14 laps at 3.5k instead of the usual 10 at 5k.

I started with the 5hr pacers as planned, and remained with them until about 20k but knew I was never going to finish. My breathing was not good, my HR was elevated, I was coughing on and off and just doing myself no favours. So, decided after about 20k that another 3 hours out there was likely to set me back weeks, and sure I have Connemarathon to come. I stopped called my wife and told her not to bother coming down, but I then ran another couple of laps just to make sure I was done, and yeah, I was.

Now, looking back, there were a lot that I didn’t enjoy on the day. 

• The pacers set out at about 20 seconds/km quicker pace for the first couple of laps. I suspected it but wasn’t sure as I wondered if my watch GPS was off being in the forest.
    • The paths were pretty narrow and being a shortened course, it ended up more crowded than it would otherwise have been. The ground was often uneven.
    • There were a few people in the group with the pacers that were pretty inconsiderate. Two lads for some reason always insisted on running right behind the pacers, which is fine, but when they stopped a few of times to refuel or go to the toilet or tie laces, each time they ran around the group and forced themselves into the same position which caused jostling with others. The other issue I had was from about 16k to 20k - some lady insisted on running right beside me (fine), but I was on to the right of her and tight to the edge of the path boxed in, and she was literally cm’s to my left which gave me no space and I had to really concentrate on not hitting her with my arm. Twice though over the space of 20 mins, her right arm swung with force into my left and and she apologised both times but she didn’t move to give both of us more room. I decided I needed to get away from her so manoeuvred to about 10 yards ahead closer to the pacers but literally 2 minutes later she was back right beside me and as close as ever. It was incredibly off putting so I had to drop back again. I don’t know what some people do be thinking.
    • I always run with Shokz, even if they are not on, but there is a taboo about wearing them in Donadea. I didn’t wear them and I missed them. I wish I could have put on some music and let my mind drift. Others had earphones, so if I do this run again, I will wear them.

Since Donadea…

w/c 12th Feb: 59k (mostly easy pace, but HR still elevated)

w/c 19th Feb: 65k. Finally started feeling back to myself this week, but no running Sat or Sun as was on a stag. This week also say the first planned speed work I’ve done in a few weeks - 5x5min @LT (5:20min/km)

w/c 26th Feb: Back to normal (hangovers aside): 95k

Saturday: long run (28k) which went fine. 

Sunday 

I had signed up to the Naas 10 mile a while ago. I had hoped the wife would take my place, but she wasn’t feeling great so I decided to give it a go. Plan was to go out 5:20 min/km pace rather than trying to race. I felt good throughout and my avg. HR was barely above Zone 2, so was really happy with how it went. I was fully aware that doing this the day after a 28k long run was not ideal, but I think I have a good feel now for what I am capable of, and at the same time accept there is a risk for injury that I’m happy to live with.

4th March - 10th March

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 10k @5:55min/km (HR: 142)

Wednesday - 19.6k @5:57min/km (HR: 144)

Thursday - 17.7k @5:52min/km (HR: 144)

Thursday - 10k @5:59min/km (HR: 137)

Saturday 31k @6:07min/km (HR: 142)

I wanted to do a 30k+ and knew this would be a tough run after a couple of medium-long runs in midweek. Like I have done since last November, I run to HR not pace often with only the HR displayed on screen, so I was surprised when I got home to see that it was my 3rd fastest 30k run ever. The only two times I’ve gone quicker were the last two DCMs. I felt I could have gone on some more, but I was having some discomfort in my groin which just felt like tiredness rather than pain as such, so played it safe. 

Sunday 16k @6:18min/km (HR: 139)

Plan was to round off the week with another longish run. Initially I was going to run 21k, but decided at about the 12k mark to round it off at the 16k. My groin was still telling me to take a break, and again, it felt more like tiredness and a little discomfort more than anything. 

Reasoning for going out today is that my training focus is shifting to more of an ultra style plan rather than Marathon, so back to back long runs where possible. I decided going into this year that 2024 was all about base building and slow and steady progress rather than chasing PBs (which I expect will come because I am still just over 2 years into my running journey). 

Total for the week: 106km  10h 40mins 525m

Total for year: 740km

It sounds as if your DNF at Donadea should have been a DNS. Unless there are huge financial investments such as flights, hotels etc. paid for, its best to to opt for a DNS and not extend your illness recovery period. The locally run races will be there year after year. Your week afterwards should have been spent resting. An elevated HR is an indication from your body that all is not normal. Any energy you expend running is energy that should be spent on the recovery process. I've a simple cough with no temperature at the moment. I've dropped back to an easy week with reduced mileage and will include extra rest day(s). Our effort today, determines how we run tomorrow.

The paths are Donadea can get tight in places. I found it took 1-2 laps to get used to running in a tight pack but there was good camaraderie amongst those when i ran a few years back. You may have been unlucky on the day with the group that was there.

A groin injury/strain is not to be trifled with. It is not the same as a tight muscle where it can be worked out with by a masseuse or a foam roller. Significantly reduced mileage and duration, if not stopping altogether, is the only way to help it along on its recovery journey.

11th March - 12th April

The last 4 weeks have been pretty steady as I continue to be ready for Connemarathon this Sunday. All runs continue to be done to HR with easy runs in high zone 2 but increasing into mid-zone 3 where there are hills (and there have been plenty). Every 8-10 days I do some speed work, mostly tempo based. 

w/c 11th March: 87km total for week with 33km LSR which just happened to be my 3rd quickest 30k time according to Strava. That was a huge surprise to me, particularly as the run was from Naas to Blessington and back, so the first half had major hills.

w/c 18th March: 86km total, but LSR was supposed to be ~32k, but I had to bail out at 27. I wasn’t feeling good going into it and just couldn’t muster the energy to keep going. First time ever I had to call to get collected. Chalked it down to experience.

w/c 25th March: 106km total, LSR: 34km with a couple of halves thrown in during the week as well, taking advantage of the Easter holidays. Felt good on the long run, and happy considering last week's abandonment. 

w/c 1st April: 95km total. 27km long which was ran at (a conservative) PMP on a hilly and windy route. Avg HR was mid-zone 3.

w/c 8th April:75km with 17km longest run, again at PMP (with avg. HR firm zone 2).

w/c 15th April: RACE WEEK: Connemarathon

This will be my 4th marathon, and I’m really looking forward to it, mostly because I am not putting myself under any pressure and just going out to enjoy it and get more experience. I set myself a goal going into 2024 to run a couple of marathons and just enjoy them, so the last few months have been about building endurance rather than speed. 

I didn’t follow any particular plan and just followed some guiding principles - maintain 80-100km a week, LSR building up and get a couple of 20mile+ runs in, some faster LT level session every 8-10 days, run most runs in Zone 2/easy pace. I can’t say I followed those principles all the time, but I can say that I enjoyed 90% of the runs and that’s really what its about.

Heading into Connemara, the plan is to run the first half in 2 hours, and see if I can do the second in 2:15 for a 4hrs 15min finish. Positive splits due to hills at 13 miles and 22 miles. This second one, the Hell of the West as they call it will be “interesting” so I’m fully expecting to walk portions of both hills to avoid flaming out and that’s fine. 

I’m staying just outside Galway and should get there about 6pm on Saturday. I’ll have dinner about lunch time and then something smaller in the evening somewhere in the city. Breakfast plans at this stage is either a bagel and peanut butter or overnight oats. 

I’m going to wear my hydration vest during the event with 5 scoops of Tailwind into 1.5ltr of water. A gel every 6km and using the water stations as I go. The tailwind is only for sipping on.

I’ve no idea what to wear as it all depends on the weather. I’ll pack a vest, t-shirt, long sleeve and a windproof packable (Patagonia Airshed Pro - love it).

I’ll also wear my chest strap as again this run is more about experience and fun than racing. 

This week’s training is a 6km today, then 10, 6, 6, finishing with a 3km Sat morning. All very easy, and a couple with some strides.

Total for year: 1178km

Advertisement