Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had an unresolved row with my housemates and I'm partly at fault

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭HazeDoll

It's simply not reasonable to view all your interactions with your housemates as separate issues.

To your housemates, these are all part of the same story. You have been having difficulties with them for a while, then you told them you were moving out. It was their responsibility to find a new housemate, they did just that. The arrangement they came to is really none of your business.

If you're right and they had planned all along on not allowing you to have the room with the ensuite, that's tough to swallow but you were going to lose that argument anyway.

I wouldn't want to live with people who didn't want to live with me. You should do yourself a favour and stick to the plan. Move out, learn from some of the mistakes you've made in this houseshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I agree with this. You can't be giving notice and then changing your mind. It's totally unreasonable in a market where rooms are like gold. It's no surprise wheelswent into motion when he gave notice. Taking the piss. There's a whiff of entitlement off his posts too which doesn't help.

Post edited by coolbeans on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was going to ask that question one someone gives notice they are moving out what right does that person have to turn around and say oh sorry not moving out now. It is 3 weeks so a bit of time but what if it was 2 weeks or 1 week. If I was renting and someone said they were moving out I'd be tough. Especially if I found someone else. As for the agreement I feel they were null and void once the OP gave their notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Personally I'd prefer that the one guy who shares a house with females have the en-suite 👾

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Odd that you’d advocate damaging the property without the landlord’s consent. Unless he gave notice to the landlord, it is unlikely that it had any legal effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

As the op clearly doesn’t think his notice/agreement to leave stands for anything, I’m not sure why he expects any agreement related to rooms should either.

The tenants who plan to move out can assign their interest in the lease, which includes the room they occupy, if the girls want to swop rooms prior to assignment , that is their business. I don’t see how the op can claim any moral high ground here, or claim a right to the room based on what went before he gave notice. Going on the op’s account of where things stand, he can take for granted they will ensure that he never gets the en-suite.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not even slightly advocating damaging anything.

Just a key change which is very standard practise. And of course the landlord's prior consent would be obtained. (No sane LL would decline in the circumstances. )

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

It isn’t standard practice though. You’ve just made that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 koalab

The girls are doing you a favour by permitting you to stay after you served notice to leave and time began to run. They could also have insisted on your demotion to the box room if they liked. You are only there because they were kind enough not to say “too late buddy” as others may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Firblog

OP gave notice to leave. His circumstances changed and he told them that he'd be staying - a little over a week after his notice to quit; the day after he was told that they had no one to replace him and before they had even advertised the room. How was this a dick move? He didn't intentionally set out to mess with them, he didn't plan for things to happen this way.

Surely the person who's really getting screwed by the new person getting the en-suite is the girl in the box room? If OP is feeling bit of a dick he should forego the move to the en-suite and say box room girl should get it instead of the new girl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The OP should consider himself damn lucky if he gets a choice on whether to stay or not. He gave notice, it was accepted, other parties acted accordingly and now he thinks he can just handwave it all away.

If you handed in notice in a job and then rocked up a few weeks later and said you had changed your mind the employer would laugh at you. I can't find law on whether the same applies in tenancies but I would be surprised if it was as straightforward as the OP childishly seems to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If OP is feeling bit of a dick he should forego the move to the en-suite and say box room girl should get it instead of the new girl?

This was already suggested and rejected. Quite the opposite in fact, he thinks he should be moving UP the pecking order for rooms.

TBH, despite the thread title, I don't think the OP really thinks he did anything wrong and was hoping people here would validate that.

It sounds a lot like the other housemates just didn't fill him in on what was happening with the new tenants because it was none of his business (which it wasn't). Maybe they were trying to spare his feelings. They won't make that mistake again.

I'd have told him to pack his sh1t and hit the road, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Seriously OP, how many more “misunderstandings” do you need with those housemates?

Advertisement