Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas events 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Heading to Belfast the weekend before Christmas. We are heading to the Ulster Folk park for the Saturday for their Christmas event. I’d love to go to the Belfast markets but we’ve an autistic lad and I’m told they can be manic on the weekends.

Has anyone been to any Christmas Carol event that’s not too long, suitable for kids but not manic and loud? He does like music but I’ve been nervous of the traditional Carol services in churches because they can be absolutely wedged. We’re in north Kildare and can travel into Meath or Dublin if anyone has any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

The National Concert Hall usually has a few carol things, could be pricey but at least you'll have your own seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Good shout especially if you can get the assigned seats in the upper level along the sides - the side balcony (not the choir balcony).

You're sitting in a section of about 20.

Either that or an aisle seat in main seating sections.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Family looking at travelling to the Wonderlights. Looking to know which would be better, Malahide Castle or the Zoo?

Seemingly average reviews on either from those that have been in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Hairy123

I was at Wonderlights in Malahide Castle a few years ago and do not recommend it. It was totally overpriced! This was during COVID too so generally any experience seemed great after the lockdowns but this was still crap! I'm going to try Merrion Square this year. You need to book a ticket but it's only a nominal fee to it book it. I'm going to go to the Gingerman pub for food and soak up the Christmas atmosphere there the same day.

We did the wild lights sensory night in the zoo last year and mine liked it. We’re going back this year. However I have heard the ‘normal’ evenings can be busy

Theres a cute little lights garden in Ballina Mayo currently free, we checked it out last weekend

We managed to get tickets for Merrion square on the 22nd this year. Hoping it goes ok as it may end up being a bit intense in town for our neurodiverse family but fingers crossed we can get a bit of atmosphere without the overwhelm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Wonderlights at Malahide Castle mustn't be selling very well. I got the following in an e-mail from them

25% off visits Monday-Friday.

Valid up until the 21st of December.

Enter Code: BLACKFRIDAY25

Offers end at midnight Monday 27th November 2023. Ensure to use correct code at checkout.

Hopefully it'll be useful to someone... A few have said it's quite overpriced as is.

We did the Zoo sensory night. Highly recommended for anyone with additional needs who struggles with crowds. We were there for opening at 515 and managed until 630 which is brilliant for us. Very friendly staff and room to breathe

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

🏆 The BIG NEWS - Waterford has been awarded the European City of Christmas 2024 🎉

We are beyond delighted to announce that the International Jury of the European Capital and City of Christmas 2024 competition has unanimously voted to award the European City of Christmas 2024 title to WATERFORD CITY! 🏆🎉

And you know what that means - 2024 is going to be SPECTACULAR! 🔥✨

Winterval 2024 promises to be the biggest Festival EVER hosted in Waterford, with over 700,000 visitors anticipated, which will showcase the true meaning of an Irish Christmas, focusing on family and togetherness, communities and connectedness through arts, culture, food and entertainment.

This award is a testament to the Waterford business community, the Winterval team, our sponsors and the festival's volunteers backed by Waterford City and County Council. Not forgetting the fine people of Waterford City, who every year welcome visitors from near and far to Ireland's biggest Christmas festival. 

We can't think of better news to send is into the last week of Winterval 2023, LET'S CELEBRATE, Winterval style! 🎉🏆

We'd like to thank the The International Jury at the European Capital of Christmas, chaired by Danuta Hübner, Member of the European Parliament, and comprised of Mr Íñigo Méndez de Vigo, Mr Francisco Fonseca Murillo, Ms Marisol Garmendia, Ms Ainhoa García Jabonero, Mr Massimo Ruggero, Ms Mercedes Guillamón, assisted by the president of Christmas Cities Network, Alberto Gutiérrez Alberca for this award, we promise to do you proud in 2024 🏆

#europeancapitalofchristmas #winterval #waterford 

Waterford City and County Council 

European Capital of Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2024 will be a good year to go visit winterval.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ooh, I'm glad now I put off going until next year. They can really pull out all the stops now for my visit. 😄

They’d be a fool not to roll out the red carpet for you! Might plan a visit myself for next year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sure with both of us going, it's only right that they up their festive game. 😄

Yeah I’m sold on this.

http://www.facebook.com/share/Y6hBAZo3qvnGgob1/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Elftown in the RDS. Announcing ticket sales already.

Advertisement