Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas events 2023

Options
  • 05-08-2023 7:55pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The perfect place to let us know of all upcoming Christmas events.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ve never been but I’m dying to go!! maybe this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd recommend it! It's a great night, and they give out homemade mince pies and mulled wine in the interval. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I see it advertised every year and want to go every year, but have never made it. I imagine it to be pretty magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

That would be amazing.

☃️❄️🌲🎁🎅🕯️🤶🦌

• Advertisement

Seen his Christmas show a couple of times but unfortunately he doesn't do it in Waterford anymore. I can tell you it is 100% worth going to.

https://www.vladimirmusic.com/#christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

I loved my trip to Waterford so much last December for Winterval that I'm going to do the same this year. I went out to Tramore one of the days too. Am I the only person that loves seaside towns in winter? The slots were all open and they had old skool Christmas window painting on all the windows. Had a spin on the Waterford eye and it was just perfect. Cannot wait to visit beautiful Waterford again.

If you plan on going to Tramore again make sure you visit the Japanese Gardens winter garden Christmas lights display. It's a fantastic big Japanese style gardens that they decide at Christmas. Make sure you book early though!

https://youtu.be/JevBUD2RgT4

Have heard of that and I think your video has sold it for me :) I'll try get that in too! Cannot wait to visit again. Mind you I need to call down some weekend before the summer is over and get a spin on the waltzers! Summer isn't summer for me without that. Old habits die hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I was just coming in here to ask if anyone would recommend Winterval? Was looking at the price of Christmas experiences near us & they are mad money, I like the idea of a trip away

• Advertisement

CheerLouth, I absolutely would recommend it but I would say everything seems to open at the weekend as in all of the stalls and carnival etc so if you're staying over make one of the days a Saturday would be my tip. The port of waterford Eye and the ice skating and a local market thing were open during the week but the street stalls weren't. That little market was lovely, don't know the name of the building it was in and whether it was even part of winterval but it was in this building down a bit from Guineys I think and I got handmade chocolate, jams, decorations as gifts and for myself and it was top quality stuff but, yeah, make one of the days Saturday.

That would be the Garter Lane market. Think that's a handmade craft market. On the weekends there's also carol singing etc . As it gets closer to the big day more things are open but you are spot on, weekend is the best time to go.

That's spot on. Glad I know the name of it now. Just looked it up and that is indeed the building. It had really lovely items and handmade goods are always more expensive but this was good value. In general much better value to be had all around to be honest in the city compared to where i am. I loved the peace and quiet of the weekday but I was also really surprised at how around 6pm everyone vanished! I live closer to Dublin and it's just people, people, people everywhere which gets really headwrecking at times here so I just loved the calmness and quietness but it was also a tad eerie that everyone disappeared so early in the evening. I also went end of Nov/start of Dec so closer to Christmas I'd say it really ramps up. I'm planning to make it a partial weekend trip this year if I can. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Top tips - I was thinking of going on a Thursday/Friday, but maybe we'll look at Saturday or a Sunday now...will chat to Mr. CL; although he has Bah Humbug tendencies at this time of the year if I mention Christmas so might need to just book it & spring it on him closer to the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Love Actually in concert.

One for the doggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Can't say I'm not tempted. Local to us too.

This sounds amazing.

Another Santa event

And another

• Advertisement

arnotts Santa tickets go on sale October 27th.

Wild Lights is coming back to Dublin Zoo...

Dublin Zoo has announced the return of the much loved night-time exhibit, which sees displays of silk lanterns decorating the zoo.

This year’s theme, ‘The Enchanted Zoo’ will also feature a gnome village and a dreamlike candy land for visitors to the event, which will open to the public on November 16.

The colourful display will see visitors greeted by an enchanted Wizard and invited to choose their own pathways to explore first.

Opening next month, the event will run from 5pm to 9pm every day, except for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and St Stephen’s Day

Tickets go on sale tomorrow, October 5, at 11am. Prices are €24.50 for adults and €20 for children. Tickets for children under three are free of charge but they must have a pre-booked ticket.

Those who hold an annual pass for Dublin Zoo can avail of a special rate of €22.50 for adults and €18 for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Wild lights....

It's so expensive for a family. If the weather isn't great it's awful.

What's even worse, is ticket prices could be reduced if they stopped handing over free tickets to every influencer and anyone with a name, who can, for the most part, afford tickets, the likes of PippaO Connor et all.

I've never been to Wild Lights, but I went to Wonderlights in Malahide Castle a few years ago and thought that was pretty expensive for what it is. It was 2021 and there were very few events on, so it was a treat to go to anything! I'm sure there's a booking fee on top of the ticket prices quoted, so it's €100 for a family of 4 and as you said, the weather could be absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

We went last year and I thought it was dreadful for the price. Kids were bored fairly quickly. Never again.

I did Wonderlights last year as well and I was disappointed how short it was. It was icy cold the night we went but not raining but every where was soaked. That's Irish weather for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Did wild lights at Dublin zoo the last 2 years and whilst we enjoyed it and were lucky with the weather we agreed we were done with it and wouldn't bother again. It's kind of a case where if you've seen one you've seen em all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

We done the wild lights in the zoo the last 2 years and also malahide castle and was completely underwhelmed by both, especially for the price. Will not be going again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any suggestions for a Christmas Market? - more things and gifts than food. Its hard to tell from the list on line which ones are local village hall ones and which are bigger markets. Not Dublin or Waterford (can pop down to the Waterford one with no fuss!). Thinking maybe of the Milk Market in Limerick?

Advertisement