Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Influencers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I find that it isn't the influencers that are the problems.

It's the influenced.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Some bimbo telling me how good a product is will in no way "influence" me to buy said product, I have a mind of my own and can make my own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

One week they are obsessed with clairns facewash, next week they are obsessed with Image. They have no brand loyalty just obsessed with who pays the best to plug

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But is what you usually buy the type of things that you would expect a "bimbo" to premote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Never heard of this person till today. Whole thing is just sad, seems to have been groomed by her mother from a young age into this online persona.

• Advertisement

I dont "expect" anything from bimbo influencers because I pay no heed whatsoever to them, I automatically tune out if any are on tv or radio. As I have said before these people need to get themselves a proper job. If my son brought home a girl/woman to meet the parents and she said that her occupation was "an influencer" I would laugh in her face and tell her to gat a life and stop being so fuc*ing stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And this woman hopefully would tell you to mind your own business as she's making more money doing something she enjoys rather than having a boring job.

And would I be bothered..........not a bit, anybody who calls themselves "An Influencer" is as far as I'm concerned the lowest form of life.

So you look down on people who work hard doing a job you don't like. Not all influencers are bad, some of them create content that can teach followers about subjects their interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Loads of health / health and fitness influencers popping up now, since covid.

I believe that unless you are a certified medical professional or fitness instructor you have zero business going on social media platforms advising people on these issues, it’s dangerous. It should be a criminal offence for anyone marketing themselves as an expert and giving direct advice in the media / social media related to medical health certainly…

of course a lot of them toss out the words ‘ wellbeing ‘ and ‘ wellness ‘ usually followed by the word ‘ guru ‘ or ‘ advocate ‘…

I could be an aviation or airline advocate but I’m not going to be allowed to tell anyone how to fly a 737 so why exactly are these people facilitated ?

go onto the medical forum here on boards…say hypothetically X poster has a topic ‘ headaches and dizzy spells ‘…. If I post.. ‘ drink more water, take thiamine x3 and bisoprolol x 1 you’ll be grand ‘…. I’d be banned, correctly… so why are these slimy attention seeking grifters allowed to spout BS across basically every social media platform ? Bizarre.

• Advertisement

Your over reacting here as usually these health and fitness influencers are giving general advice and not medical advice and sometimes it's good advice. If an influencer is giving medical advice everyone knows this is wrong even the good influencers. Your issue is with the moderators of Instagram or twitter to catch the bad influencers or with the eejits who take medical advice from social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You seem very fast to defend influencers here Greyfox...

Medical advice should only ever come from properly qualified health practitioners. Someone presenting themselves as a "Nutritionist" has no business presenting dietary advice. We already have a legally protected term from those who are properly qualified to do so: Dietician. Sadly, social (and mainstream media ) are far too quick to be fooled by charlatans using unprotected titles that sound good.

Yes, you'd have to be an eejit to pay them any heed but let's never forget: at least half of the population are stupider than average. They need protection from charlatans.

Your wrong, a member of the public giving dietry advice like eat 5 portions of fruit n veg, drink more water or cut down on junk/sugary food does not require a degree, they are accepted facts. When it's not common knowledge an Influencer should be able to back up their dietry advice with evidence.

I'm defending influencers as some are good although most are terrible but most of the posts here seems to think they are all bad.

Nutritionists and PT are allowed to give general suggestions when it comes to diet but their is a limit particularly if you have any health conditions, that would then fall under medical advice which is very different.

Yes more needs to be done to go after the charlatans but stupid people are a big part of why SM is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The ones that talk about manifesting or CBT or analyse behaviours with no Psychology degree are just dangerous. And there are plenty of them.

As a result people that have real trauma are believing some charlatan instead of visiting a educated, experience and widely qualified therapist.

The whole industry needs some regulation in my opinion. If you chose to talk about Psychology and offer advice you better back it up with some qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I guess it depends on how they do it. Some are just saying that manifesting is a psychological tool. Give yourself a small goal and keep telling yourself you can do it. Positive reinforcement coupled with a goal you want to achieve.

Others act like it's a magical way of getting the universe to give you something. Like their belief is powerful enough to change reality. To be fair, there's always been grifters like that. Before influencers there were self help gurus and religious nutjobs.

It’s amusing how angry the whole concept of influencers and people making a living using themselves as a brand makes a lot of pale, male and stale sorts.

Internet Victor Meldrew types.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No they are not. They are getting free stuff.

It's the people who give them the free stuff and the fame who are the knob ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are you a black disabled Asian-Irish traveller?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I had completely dismissed the notion of this being a thing, that I didn’t even bother to look it up as it sounded so far out there.

I shouldn’t have underestimated the influence of social media trends, which I kinda get what the thread is about and all, but… Jesus Christ 😒 Just saw it being talked about on that morning show on TV3:

https://healthnews.com/beauty/skin-care/is-period-blood-good-for-skin-care/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The old truth that 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' comes to mind when unqualified people push a certain narrative. We used to call those types of people know-it-alls, bursting to tell their opinion on some topic, and there will always be someone to listen and follow. We've always had snake oil salesmen.

If individual influencers are pushing the latest fashion, a new restaurant, the trendy holiday spot, the latest diet or exercise fad, let them at it, people can make up their own minds. Big business spends vast sums on marketing and some products can be extremely harmful, tobacco, alcohol etc. but joe public can take or leave the goods and ignore the message.

The dangerous influencers are politicians or religious extremists who can cause all kinds of trouble and disruption that seriously and negatively impacts peoples daily lives. People need to be very careful of those influencers.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I've learned one thing from the behaviour of influencers.

Any time an influencer asks for "recommendations", it really means "I want it for free".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah, I don't get the hatred towards influencers.

I mean they are probably the easiest form of advertising or marketing to avoid if you don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wouldn't consider myself an influencer but I do use social media to share my blog reviews. I volunteer at some of the Irish festivals and I write about the experience, I like to give an different perspective than the usual music journalism. I describe how the build of the festival is, the work that goes into it, the people I work with who share similar taste music. You sometimes get music reviews, cuisine reviews, people watching stories and funny anecdotes you overhear in the campsite. So I do hope I offer something different from the norm.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Well to put it delicately...

I fùcking hate the cùnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Influencers - a term i despise and can only describe them as people who are stealing a living. Think of Vogue Williams, Roz Purcell and the like.....the same goes for "wellness advocates"

Why the hate, why not just ignore them instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’m in my late 50s now so I totally applaud people who can make money just by persuading others to part with theirs, often based on no evidence whatsoever.

I include in my admiration telephone/email/ internet scammers. Honestly, if you have so much disposable income that you can afford to let it all go willy-nilly to some stranger you answered the phone to, then fair play to them for ringing you in the first place.

Same goes for “influencers”.

Vogue Williams is fully prepared to use her babies as props in a never ending sales pitch. They’re her children, they have a father who obviously agrees to this gross invasion of his family’s privacy.

If you look at that and still admire and respect her to the extent where you’ll willing by whatever it she’s selling then, what business is that of anyone else’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Best description I've seen of those types is "photogenic beggars"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Considering the useless gimps are everywhere and it’s starting to take a bit of effort now to avoid / ignore.

Advertisement