Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Influencers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've little or no experience with influencers. I've just never seen where the attraction lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If anyone identifies themselves as an influencer, it’s just a red flag to ignore, block, delete.… Any I’ve encountered I’ve found to be self absorbed full time narcissistic residents of twatsville…..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't get the hate towards influencers.

All they are are modern day marketing people.

It's no different to the old days when a well know personality endorsed a product, now it's done by people who have big online followings.

And they don't get those big online followings easy, it's difficult to firstly get noticed and secondly keep producing content to stay noticed.

They can be great for small local businesses, local influencers can be very good at getting their product out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 IstvaanV

Greasy parasites, living off the corpse of so called civilized society. Bill Hicks was right about people in marketing.

It's just another form of advertising. But people who follow them religiously are hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Especially those that think using menstrual blood as a facemask is a great anti ageing process.

Yep, thousands of really really really stupid women believe this because an influencer said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Influencers? The first of the contemporary four horsemen. I’d take the old ones over them any day….

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't hate them but I've no interest in them either. They don't seem to contribute anything of value. They just preen for likes on social media and some of them make bank off that. I just find the whole thing very vain, shallow and materialistic. There's more to life than influencers, their lifestyle and social media as a whole.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't worry too much about influencers, they don't influence me.

However I find your "exiting the womb" bit pretty mind numbingly stupid.

The miracle of birth requires no intellectual capacity on the part of the born.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Grifters, the new leaders of the easily influenced, numbingly stupid millennials.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So-called “influencers” on social media are, from what I can see, just chancers and grifters with very inflated egos who are usually very opinionated on things they know little or nothing about and are vain, shallow and narcissistic - it’s all about making money off the internet by preying on the gullible.

They are lapped up by the stupid and gullible who often pay for their supposed “advice.” It’s the modern online equivalent of the snake oil salesmen of days of yore. They really contribute nothing of value to the world.

Some of them, including that misogynistic Andrew Tate asshole, are actually dangerous in spreading lies and hatred.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I submit there are three types of influencers. Those who are in effect a marketing agent, who use their position with the primary intent of encouraging business a certain direction, and basically 'sell' their time. Those who primarily are on it to obtain the revenue from their own activities (eg an Instagram post with a circulation of X million will obtain Y thousand in revenue) and influence is pretty unintended. And the third group are those who are online for a non marketing purpose, but whose opinions will knowingly influence others without any particular agreement with the industries in question. Think professional film or car reviewers for example.

I think it's a bit unfair to place all three types in the same category. And yes, creating a sustainable online presence is not something done with little work, effort, intelligence and, frankly, luck. I may not like some of the big influencers, but I'll respect what they did to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Those well known personalites of old were generally well known for a reason at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

And not forgetting those that are no more than glorified QVC selling channels now.

It's like a form if sales brain washing.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

vacuous entities is what i think of when someone mentions the word influencer.

Both the influencer, and especially the influencee.

Although there is a space for genuine positive influencers to ride the social media wave and make a positive impact to young people.

The principle will eventually give rise to some positivity.

But not the crop of preeners we have today, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Since TV was around there have been celebs promoting products now there are 1000s of influencers promoting products .I see no harm in it as long as people know they are getting paid to promote products .I think it's good theres influencers of all races and minority's . I don't like influencers who use thier children in videos , when you are under 15 can you give informed consent to be in videos made by your parents

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's always funny watching their bubble burst, they live in a vacuum for so long they almost always overstep the line.

I'm not in any of the demographics for them and mostly ignore them anyway bit they should always be stopped from misleading practices (and also not paying taxes).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Many of them buy fake followers and likes. Have supposedly a high following but get low interaction on their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

Marty Morrissey - Renault are a smart company getting him on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Ah, going for the anti-marketing dollar I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There seems to be a push back against people getting free stuff. It’s long overdue.

Anyone following “Cakegate” at the minute?

A small bakery in UK was approached by a PR company on behalf of an ex coronation street actress for a rake of free stuff in return for social media exposure. The bakery owner published the request with a response like “I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”. The actress then made a video pretending she knew nothing about the request and slated the bakery. She’s getting some kicking over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Just looked it up there. Never heard of this actress which reminds me that I probably last looked at Coronation St circa 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

She’s gone from it a few years I think. I don’t watch it either.

The bakery response was epic and shredded her.

what was shocking though were the amount of small businesses coming forward and saying they felt almost bullied into giving free stuff by those who can most afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Chancers looking for free stuff and insta-fame. Absolute knob ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,441 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Kardashians are probably the biggest, they'd promote $hit and it sell

I don't see them "influencers" as good or bad, take or leave

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"hey guys"...

Naw not for me painful the lot of them.

But it clearly works or people wouldn't be paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I find them distasteful, the amount of “freebies” some of them get is ridiculous, from hotel stays to thousands of Euros worth of baby stuff.

I’m not on Instagram but when the missus often shows me a #ad from one these Insta huns, I make a mental note to never spend money on that business!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To me they are just the 21st century version of those telemarketing channels, or even further back the people who wore billboards who walked along the street to advertise things.

But for some reason there is a cohort who attach 'celebrity' to them them now. I watched a programme last night (that I would not normally watch) it was all about the 'lifestyle' in Monaco.

Lots of people who want to be seen, and be seen by other people who want to be seen. Types that have more money than sense, and a large dollop of narcism.

Anyway, Monaco wanted to diversify to get more money out of really rich eejits who crave attention. So what did they do? They invited 'influencers' over in a big do. Now if you saw the cut of them you would really question how anyone could be 'influenced' by them.

They just all seemed so vacuous and wrapped up in themselves, with no real depth to them. All show no substance.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Years ago people that entered the consciousness of the general public, they often did so because they were

A : Talented…… be it as an actor, musician / songwriter, artist, sportsperson…. Etc

B : Notorious... be it as a criminal, politician or whatever other brand of scallywag.

C : Entertaining…comedian..whatever…..maybe not the most talented but still a discernible reason people like them.

now the absolute bland have taken over, these influencers. Or social media attention whores.

They are lauded by their young followers and peers, not often for what actually gets them their fame and notoriety, not for discernible talent not for what they do but because they simply achieve notoriety, fame and attention…. Which let’s face it IS the goal, the holy grail of currencies for many young people nowadays. The little weirdos obsessed with….. ‘ look at how many followers, look at what I posted, look at me, listen to me…..’ constantly. 🥱 attentionattentionattention….

growing up I looked up to footballers / sportspeople , musicians, actors. Talented people who entertained you.

now instead of “ great, United / Liverpool / Celtic are on the box…. Or “ are you getting the new X album “. It’s “ohhh, quick what did X say, look at the car Y has”… “ did you like *****’s post quick, like it ! “ All a bit psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

According to the Pope, Mary the Blessed Virgin, Mother of God was the first influencer. So I will go with her. Although I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they were around in BC times as well. Shakespeare had a bit to say about them too, mostly not complinentary. Nothing new under the sun.

Advertisement