Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E9 "Subspace Rhapsody" Warning may contain spoilers.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

thought it was a great episode

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I kind of knew I hated Viyager from about 10 episodes in. It was in my mind a bit like the Discovery of its time. TNG was still airing. I think so was DS9 so it kind of seemed like tge dogshît series of the franchise despite actually having an interesting premise. For that reason I’ve never done a run through. I just didn’t like Jaheway asa captain. Most of the characters apart from the doctor were meh and Neelix and Kess seemed to have a creepy relationship and they seemed like Trek’s Tom Bonbadil and Goldberry. I missed out on that fairhacen episode but I intend to watch it as they mentioned some place she’s from my neck of the woods so it might be good for a laugh.

I did watch Sub Rosa and still remember being horrified at what a stinker it was. It was TNG season € though so I figured the writing team were looking onwards and just collecting a pay check at that stage. I just still can’t figure out how it got through quality control.

I don’t think the SNW musical episode was quite that bad but its biggest fault is that it was just not very interesting.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Enjoying the bank holiday I reckon 🤣

Can't really disagree with most of that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It might have been a quirk of when various TV networks over here got the shows, pre Internet streaming we could be over a year behind the US, even on Sky One. But TNG had finished up before Voyager started. It ran concurrent with later DS9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

yeah you’re right. TNG finished May 94. Voyager started Jan 95. I was in college at the time abd the Star Trek society sourced tapes recorded from live broadcasts in the US so I got ju wires crossed. I thought Voyager started earlier but I mixed it up with DS9. Incidentally in true Star Trek fan service fashion the society gut a cease and desist from Paramount over the use of the Star Trek name so the society name changed! 😀. I’ve always found it funny they took a pot shot over the name but never realised they were dealing in showing pirate copies of episodes that wouldn’t de shown here for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,867 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think i'd have been fine with this episode if the season was longer - but with only 10 episodes I'd have preferred a more standard adventure (which we've gotten precious few of this season).

As an episode in and of itself it was ok, in that it did at least do a little heavy lifting. For me a lot of the songs didn't quite land though, and felt more like they just needed stuff to be in there to fill time. La'an's, and Spocks were the exception - both felt much more emotionally resonant and actually pushed their personal stories forward by externalizing their emotions. Did laugh at the Klingons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've been relistening to the soundtrack on Spotify, which is a testament to how much work actually went into making good songs for it, I don't generally do that with musicals. "Keep us connected" really is a goosebumps song, Celia Rose Gooding's voice is phenomenal. "We are one" would also be pretty great if it wasn't broken in the middle by the stupid Klingons bit. It was hilarious first time round, but unfortunately it ruins rewatch/relistens.

There's a few moments that consistently make me smile on rewatch. Kirk's "I thought at first it was something you lot had rehearsed". Spock's "eh not exactly" retort to the "this is our prime directive" line. Sam Kirk bopping out to Klingon K-pop. M'Benga and Chapel dancing and skipping towards the turbolift in the last song. Those two have such fantastic on screen chemistry together.

I know musicals aren't everyone's cup of tea but I wouldn't be surprised if this episode picks up a couple of awards. It really is very well executed. Definitely doesn't deserve to be compared to the likes of "fair haven", "sub Rosa" etc. which were just bad.

Post edited by Stark on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I know musicals aren't everyone's cup of tea but I wouldn't be surprised if this episode picks up a couple of awards. It really is very well executed. Definitely doesn't deserve to be compared to the likes of "fair haven", "sub Rosa" etc. which were just bad.

@Stark I'd agree, It's not as bad as those two, and they obviously put a lot of work into it. Those episodes were objectively bad on every level, whereas this is just not to my taste at all. I suppose the main point of comparison I'd make between all of them is that the skip button will be seeing heavy use on future watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Enjoyed this one. I think the part I liked the most was in one of the non-musical sections. The part about David. Very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The episode was very well made and I have no issues with it, even though musicals are not my thing. I don't think it would be getting so much attention if it was part of a 24 episode season. It just feels like it takes up too much screen time in a 10 episode season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

If anyone else was looking for the Lyrics? Found them here.

Paramount+ also released a crossover featurette but needs a VPN to watch it.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

wasn't too bad (I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

I loved it, been listening to the soundtrack all week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same, it's managed to knock "A little bit Alexis" out of my regular rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That was extremely terrible but also fun. I like the take that they were fully aware of it, a bit different

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Same here. Don't love musicals. I was dreading this. But it was well written plot and clever how they integrated all the different story arcs into it. Can't really complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

surprisingly good singers on that cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

I detest musicals, so this went as expected, a complete slog to get through. Couldn't wait for it to end. That said, an absolute ton of work went into it and cast look like they had a lot of fun with it. As far as 'day off' episodes go, I much preferred Season 1's one.

Advertisement