Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E9 "Subspace Rhapsody" Warning may contain spoilers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭eadrom

Kinda surprised there aren’t more positive takes on the episode here. I knew some people would dislike a musical on sight but I really thought they did a good job of it on this one.

It’s also a real credit to the format of the show and specifically to this cast, these characters, and the whole production that they can do something like this, or the Lower Decks episode, and have it fit and feel right alongside more serious or dramatic episodes. Like this isn’t just a pointless episode alongside more serious ones that matter more – it’s this variety that’s the whole point of the show.

And also there was plenty of good and relevant character development woven throughout. I’m shocked at how much I’m enjoying the new Spock and Uhura. Even Kirk is warming on me.

I bloody love Star Trek, and I really like this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

@Doodah7 For me, easily the worst episode of Star Trek of any series ever and that includes the cod-Irish episode in Voyager.

Or even worse the doctors singing episode?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

La'an really carried the show for me - best musical pieces, lines (eg sea shanty) and bringing emotion to her storyline resolution.

Echoes of Eponine in Les Mis with a story of unrequited love... although kudos for SNW for creating a scifi 'to have and have not' scenario.

I think I will have another listen to 'Flying Blind'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The worst thing by far in this episode is the fact that Klingons arrived and they missed possibly the only opportunity ever to have the Klingons approach on the starboard bow starboard bow starboard bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nah, the worst thing is the missed opportunity to have the Klingons perform like a Finnish Eurovision entry.

Also didn't understand why the Klingons were so ashamed. We see them singing songs all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Voice wise I did enjoy Uhura's bits the most. Wasn't aware previously that Celia Rose Gooding had a career on Broadway but went to Google it after this episode .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just finished watching it. Not as bad as I expected, and I did enjoy it, but I do enjoy a good musical too, and in fairness everyone got their moment in it and everyone throws themselves into it. And you can see they all enjoyed it, and it was something different. And only a show that is confident in itself and its cast can pull something like that off. I thought it was well balanced and not full on musical, and was pretty emotional too.

Again some excellent humor... "The last thing anyone wants is singing Klingons" 😁 and La'ans "Sea shanty" remark.

Did an excellent job of sorting out the Spock/Chapel and Kirk/La'an story lines. And we got Klingon Captain "Hemmer"... what a great cameo !!

I think some people were never going to give it a chance and had their minds made up before watching it that it was going to be dire. I was apprehensive about it, but, in my opinion, it was good episode. Looking forward to the season finale next week, I think its gonna be a belter and set-up Season 3 nicely.

On a separate note, Kirk is getting more and more time on Enterprise as the episodes have gone on..... I wonder will there be a handover to a new Star Trek (TOS) reboot in the offing 😃, ... looking forward to Beep Beep 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 IstvaanV

It was also very obvious that some voice altering/voice tuning was going on for pretty much every cast member while singing which was slightly jarring (before I turned down the volume while the songs continued). No way all of them were singing those notes naturally.

One thing you can say for Anson Mount - his facial expressions say so much that it just makes his character so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone think it was odd that, considering the anomaly was making everyone bare their souls through song ,that Mbenga didn't get a solo song given what happened in the last episode. Surely that would still be on his mind. The obvious answer is Babs can't sing to save his life but still . They could have just made a joke of it and had him hypospray himself into a coma for the duration so he didn't confess and land himself in a penal colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

The episode felt long for me. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it and really I wasn’t overly taken with it. However, I am a fan of music and often can pull me in but I’m not a fan per se.

there was some good character exposition, but it all just felt like it took way too long. The plot was pretty thin as well.

on a positive note, Rebecca Romijn is not only lovely to look at but has a voice to match. Ethan Peck was great too. Uhura was a stand out. What a voice tgst sctif has! She’s amazing.

I’ll admit to rewinding the Klingon boyband. It was so funny.

Look, they did it. Let’s get back to real Trekkin next week and have a good finslé.

The small bits he had were not great and thats why

Is there a link or does anyone know if they were all original voices or stand ins?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

This episode gave me a headache in the first 15 mins, had to turn if off i found it so bad. for me the worst episode in all trek ever. If i wanted a musical id go see phantom of the opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

Im not a man for most musicals, and some of the songs were very meh and blaaa, but some of it was alright.

I enjoyed the humour in the episode and some plot points were definitely sorted out.

It was fun, light hearted, and different.

To people saying if it was Discovery we'd be giving out -they are probably right. For one simple reason...

song 1: We love Michael

Song 2: Where is Michael?

Song 3: Michael save us

song 4: All hail Michael

Song 5: Michael saves the universe

Song 6: Emotional crying

STW - songs were about the crew, on DISCO it be about Michael.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The songs are on Apple music and the main cast are all credited.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could have been good but wasn't but they found a neat way to tie off threads that would have annoyed the sh1t out of everyone if dragged out. I think they could have been resolved without singing but c'est la vie.

Ya the best thing about the episode is they put the Chapel/Spock and Kirk/La'an stories to bed.

Speaking of Discovery Kirk mentioned that he knew Carol was pregnant so where is the aaaaaahhhh CANON raging. This show gets away with way too much bullsht because people are too entrenched to admit any fault the very same as Discovery fans were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe it's not David. Maybe she loses this one and keeps the next pregnancy secret from James.

I had a feeling someone would say something like that. Everything can be explained away just like Discovery fans used to do. Would be a hell of a lot easier to just not have that line though because it served no purpose and of course people are going to think it's about David.

It makes an absolutely massive change to TWoK and also Kirk who now has most likely abandoned a child rather than not knowing he exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I don't think it makes much of a change to WoK at all. I went to see it in the cinema a few weeks ago, and to be fair it was a different cut, but as far as I recall Kirk was taken aback by the fact it was David, but not by the fact he had a son. He said to Carol that he stayed away like she asked, which pretty much tells us that he knew he had a kid with her, but Carol didn't want him involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Because SNW has built up some good will by not being terrible. But specifically there's the possibility given Kirk's lifestyle, which was brought up in this episode, Carol tells him she lost/terminated David.

Ya maybe. Still no need to have that line at all. And the crew having to sing together to save the day was as shte and cheesy as anything Discovery ever done. For me there isnt much good will left in the bank especially after 3 appearances of that awful Kirk.

In other news I found out this morning that Christina Chong has a proper album out with music videos and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Eh, while I like David Jason, and I know he was a big fan of Discworld so kept doing the shows, I was not a fan of David Jason in the Discworld shows! Might be the reason why Going Postal is the only one I kind of like....

She was like a lovesick puppy in TOS and Spock had completely reverted to being Vulcan and all but rejecting his Hoomon side.

Could be the catalyst for that but it does make Spock a bit of an incel

I found it hard going and I'm not against musicals at all but but but I lost it with the Klingon boy band sequence. Completely understand why they were ready to launch everything at the anomoly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah, it was annoying because it makes it sound like Kirk is saying I would definitely give you one if it wasn't that my part time girlfriend is pregnant. Only looking back I realise how bad that sounded. A simple, I would only I am in a relationship at the minute, it is going well, and I am not that type of guy. Gives her more respect for him, he looks like a decent bloke, job done.

Advertisement