Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseasonable weather with warnings Fri 4th / Sat 5th Aug 2023

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

15mm more than me and only a few km apart, these big differences usually only happen in thunderstorms, for example last June 22 when parts of Dublin had torrential downpours and I got almost nothing. There were no thunderstorms last night.

I remember this four years ago and was worse than last night in my opinion, any idea how much rain fell then?

the Aug ‘19 storm lasted longer too so was worse than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's 51.4mm now so how much left to beat November 2017, assuming we get showers? Meteociel isn't showing the correct November 2017 figure but I'm fairly sure it was over 50mm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Meteociel is 06-06 whilst the total I'm describing (52.0mm) is with reference midnight to midnight, that's why the discrepancy. Very close now with that 51.4mm..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I remember it well staying up the early hours of the 9th, some of the highest rainfall rates I had seen in a while up there with 18th November 2015 and 9th November 2018. Here's some of the totals from August 2019 with totals for 8th-10th in brackets.

Ballyboden 36.0mm 8th (56.7mm)

Glasnevin 29.0mm 8th (40.5mm)

Merrion Square 29.7mm 8th (40.0mm)

Malahide Castle 37.8mm 8th (55.7mm)

Dún Laoghaire 39.2mm 8th (51.5mm)

Ringsend 23.6mm 8th (32.2mm)

Casement 33.7mm 10th (55.6mm)

Dublin Apt 24.2mm 8th (42.3mm)

Phoenix Park 20.3mm 8th (33.7mm)

Note these totals are 09-09. If you remember, the 8th was a mostly fine day so if they were using midnight to midnight, it would probably be marked as the 9th instead which was an awful day with that deep area of low pressure. The Met site have the synoptic stations (Casement, Dublin Apt, Phoenix Park) as midnight to midnight already in their historical database but there is no way to do midnight to midnight for the climate/rainfall stations so I have converted the synoptics also to 09-09 for consistency. Hope I haven't lost ya 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Great drying in Cork city today. ☺️😁

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Totally different day in the southern midlands, lots of sunshine since before lunch and while there is a breeze, it wasn't a windy morning. Some interesting reports over the last two pages showing how some areas fared worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Glorious evening in Dingle. Hopefully tomorrow will be good too. Swam in the sea and all. Was hard to get in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A lovely day in Cork, yeah it was breezy but blue skies and felt very pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

It wasn't related to "glorious" here in Tralee. The morning was showery and blustery. The afternoon was better. Warmer than I expected, maybe 20 ish with sunny spells but very breezy. Great drying though, managed to get a whole wash dry out on the clothesline for a change. Showery again this evening but not too bad, I managed a nice walk. Probably the best day in over a week, but if this is the new "glorious" we really are clutching at straws.

Still banking on an Indian summer in September.😀 The entire country needs a prolonged dry and warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My mother in law is with us the last week and she's feeling cold and damp. Currently 30C at home in Slovakia.

Had about 5mm on Friday night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record I see Bettystown Co Meath had flooding yesterday as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yep we did. I posted a pick of my estate other day. Was still flooding a bit today but the council kept the pumps going cause the estate in the picture you posted was a write off. There was nowhere to pump excess water to.

Thats just around corner from me. Basically councillors built loads of houses on flood plains and ignored warnings. But us residents have to suffer for it. I’ve only been here 16 years and I’ve heard the “well it’s a once in 50 year rainfall” line at least 4/5 times.

Ah the good old OPW, spent months lieing to us about the solution to the flooding, months building a concrete reservoir in the middle of our estate (without properly baiting rats who fled to peoples gardens) and every year they drop a digger into it to flatten down the over grown vegetation.

That’s not even to mention the deep culverts, probably 20 foot drop that would probably kill a child if they managed to climb in. They actually can climb in one area, but sure nobody died… yet….

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The rain in Meath at least has been excessive over the past 6 weeks so I'm not surprised with some of the images I've seen here online and my own trips around Meath over the last number of days. Summer 2023 is up there with the wettest spells of weather I've ever seen since I was born in the early 70s. This summer has been exceptional of rain and the frequency of it in this part of Ireland. Temperatures have also been low but look at the temperature anomaly is misleading because July only finished up slightly cooler than average, and this is because the nights were relatively mild while the daytime temperatures were on the chilly side to say the least. We're only 1 week into August and already we have passed the average rainfall total for August in this part of Ireland. However we are turning a corner and I feel things will return to average which doesn't sound great, but compared to what we have experienced over the past 6 weeks it's going to feel like a visit to a foreign country this summer has been so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't want to start a panic but there could actually be warm sunshine at times on Wednesday and Thursday. By warm I mean mid-20s.

Don't get our hopes up . You're already in my bad books with all this rain you've forecast coming to pass. What magic are you performing over there in nice warm Canada to release all this moisture on the land ?😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What's that ? Book myself in for a game of golf on Wednesday evening, you say ? Okay, you're the boss!

Absolutely bloody brilliant. Rain forecast for the south west and i cancelled plans to go to Kells bay gardens. Did it rain? No. ..I ended up making courgette jam and chutney for the day. 😁😠

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod note: Will shut this thread now for a while , there are other more current threads to post in.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement