Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin (and surrounding areas) nightclubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Been to both although I preferred Fibbers (which did have a late license). If you went down during the mosh in Fibbers, a circle would form around you and you had about 3 seconds to get back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I remember seeing a trail of blood along O'Connell St as I was going to Fibbers... and I can confirm it led to Fibbers toilets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Back in the early 2000's there was late night venue in Westport called Wits. It was unable to get a nightclub license so it used to apply for a late license and have a live band on stage to get around the nightclub license issue.

At one stage on a Sunday night they launched the tenner club where you paid €10 entrance fee and all drink was free. I think it lasted about 3 weeks before the judge shut it down due to excess workload.

And in Dublin around the same time I remember the Palace on Camden street had a student night on a Wednesday or Thursday when it was free entrance before 11pm and €1 per drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Hoops in Dundrum in the very late 1970's. I had a mobile disco (yes, that was a thing 😂) and used to do Hoops. And the TV Club on Harcourt Street where Garda Harcourt Square was (now being re built as KPMG new HQ). The fights in the TV club were legendary, it would explod in one area and suddenly the floor would be a battle field 😁. The bouncers were like mountain men, they took no prisoners. DJ's were John Storey and another guy Gerry Shanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Redz by O’ Connell bridge closed around 2008/9 I think? Monday nights were €10 entry and €2 a drink, different times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

The Blacker in Coolock not been mentioned yet - the upstairs part in the early 00s used to be called Hamunaptra (The Human Trap to the funny lads)

Few pints in The Sheaf after work, then down to the blacker to dance away upstairs. Always guaranteed a fight or two, but the bouncers were always on the ball fair play to them.

Used to LOVE the RedBox, always preferred it to The Pod, in the same building. Saw some great DJs there.

The Kitchen in Temple Bar with the bleedin river flowing around the dancefloor.

The Mezz, also in Temple Bar, with the low ceilings you'd be reaching up and pushing off as the yoke came up on you, great times, them ceilings used to be absolutely dripping with sweat.

What was the club called where the Academy is now? Different music on a few different levels, I loved the main level there with the DJ in a sort of window halfway up the wall.

And of course, The Temple Theatre, that kip used to regularly feature on some sort of "Best clubs in europe" thing on MTV, always blew my mind because one time my friend had his shoes robbed by some local ne'er-do-wells, imagine some hardcore German clubbers landing over to go to that place off the back of an MTV recommendation, only to be kicked out at 2.30/3 and having to deal with the local ferals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The nightclub before the Academy was called Spirit. Shortest wait in the world to get a pint

yeah Spirit. I loved that place, the chillout place in the basement was a godsend some nights

Along the <sort of> same lines, was The Gaiety late night multi-level shenanigans, movie playing in the main theatre room, chart/dance on the top floor, god knows what in some of the other rooms, but I remember having a deadly time with about 6 others in a Northern Soul room one night

Oh yeah that Northern Soul room was the business. Usually had a good blues band on in one of the other rooms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It was always a great spot, different music in different rooms and they'd often have an excellent two tone/ska band play live in one of them which had the place heaving with everyone just having good fun.

You'd always have that one person in your group though that would disappear and later be found asleep in the movie room.

• Advertisement

I woke up one Sunday morning with the keys for the whole Gaiety on my bedside locker. Good 40 or 50 keys. Security was laid back in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The Temple Theater looked the part and often had good DJs, but the clientele were fairly rough. I used to like Mono on Wexford street around 2001/2002, regularly had good DJs like Dave Clarke, had some great times in there. That was one end of the spectrum. On the other end we had the "traditional" nightclubs, where you would get food included as part of the entrance. Paparazzi's in Dun Laoghaire was an awful kip, they served spaghetti bolognese normally. Ziggy's was even worse, you normally got a burger there.

Sword attack on guards outside Paparazzi's

Ah, those places where you'd get food - Good Time Charlie's in Howth, mirrors beside the dancefloor.

Had to walk halfway home from there one evening, some lad pulled in and took me and the girl I was with into the back of his work van, we were sitting on a spare tyre and a toolbox, he dropped us to Kilbarrack. You'd get curry chips there I think, or a three in one.

I was never in it, but The Castle out in Finglas/St Margarets had some mad reputation. I think you can still see the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

K2 and Good time Charlies in Howth

Some messy nights were had in both :P Glad some others mentioned Sides (Gravity) and the Asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

It was class. I used to work in Eastpoint so it was every Friday. They had that bowling game there too and Smirnoff Ice on tap!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

"I was never in it, but The Castle out in Finglas/St Margarets had some mad reputation. I think you can still see the building."

I was in it once with some friends...once was enough 😂 I just remember it being jammed, sweaty and crunching glass on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was going to say Ziggy's myself. Was a mad shop, the place was quartered off with lads from the Farm, Ballybrack, Glasthule and the Noggin in each corner. Great times in that place. At a time when the pills were at their best.

I always wondered what people from outside the Borough taught of it when they got in.

The carry on in the restaurant part when they served the rubber chips and burgers was short of chaotic.

Subterranean at the top of O'Connell street was always a good option if you couldn't get in elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Glad to hear someone else remembers it, I'm from the "catchment area" myself, so it would have been my natural habitat at one point. I remember the bouncer was a lovely gentleman called "Killer" I think it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Kitchen - Tuesday nights - Techno nights, only went here a few times

Switch - Tuesday night was techno and Friday night was Drum n Bass, went here quite a bit when it popped up.. some fairly epic nights were had here...

Temple Bar Music Centre - This is probably where I did most of my clubbing back in the day, mostly at Techno nights, but probably the greatest night I ever had clubbing was here and not a Techno night, but Drum n Bass - DJ Hype - I swear the place was absolutely fcuking bouncing... and it went on til 4am.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Was the Temple Bar Music Centre previously the USI place original back at the start of the 90s?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, that was its own thing around the back of their HQ on Aston Quay. TBMC was a new build by the council - who owned it til a few years ago, though it was leased out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Castle is gone about five years, but that means it was still there ~30 after closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

For the Kildare heads -

OZONE in Leixlip with the pre drinks in the LOFT across the road. (Now an Aldi supermarket)

Leinster Arms Maynooth (great spot for cheap drinks on student nights. Turned into Mantra nightclub after the leinster Arms closed, now its earmarked for apartments).

RAPTURE in johnstownbridge

TIME in Naas with Bondi Beach Club down the road for all of the folks who the bouncers wouldn't let in to Time.

CROOKED STEEPLE NIGHTCLUB in Setanta Hotel Celbridge - now used as a hotel for refugees.

TOUCH nightclub at the side of Dowlings in Prosperous. Mad place closed a good while but dowlings pub still going strong!

I'll never forget it, when it was at its peak I wasn't legally old enough to get in but my Da knew the bouncers, the one's before Killer that was, and I used to just drop his name at the door and they'd let me in. My older brothers and their mates would arrive later when the pubs shut. Great days.

Other bouncers names of note for that place, Bullet and another was Hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Barcode was full of loose women. A great spot!!!

Leinster Arms/Mantra/Coach & Horsemen/Red Door is being converted to student accommodation rather than normal apartments; they have knocked all the extension sections leaving just the old shell but seemed to have stopped. It will likely retain a (vastly smaller) bar on the ground floor, they have planning and have the licence still active.

Setanta (latterly Celbridge Manor) is used to house Intel builders I'm fairly sure. Can't remember if the ceiling collapse was in the nightclub or elsewhere in the entertainment bit of the site!

Actually overheard someone discussing Naas having better late bars than Maynooth only today - Time used to run branded buses up here at its peak.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bouncers loved to randomly not let one person in a group in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Perhaps not a 'famous' nightclub but it hasn't been mentioned yet.. surprising as it was Dublin city centre.. 'Abraxas'. It was down one of the side streets between O'Connell St. and Marlborough St. Was only in it the once in the late '80s. Having spent the day at the Lepoardstown races.

Was a great day and a great night. I miss those times.

Advertisement