Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin (and surrounding areas) nightclubs that are no more

Options
  • 02-08-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Nightowls (Niteowls?) in Ranelagh! In the 1990s it used to be heaving with UCD students. I'm not sure when it closed down, but I think FlyFit Ranelagh might today be where it used to be: https://tinyurl.com/4jd963bz

Tramco, Rathmines: Again, used to get a huge crowd, mostly students from the surrounding flatlands - in the late 1990s/early 00s. Here's a photo of it: https://www.yelp.com/biz/tramco-dublin

"Hollywood Nights", Parkes Hotel, Stillorgan: Radio Nova/Sunshine 101/Q102 and all the rest seemed to make a fortune from advertising them. Again in the 1990s and full of UCD students. It's now the Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan, and here's an old photo of it under its Parkes Hotel name: https://www.facebook.com/HistoricalStillorgan/photos/a.463407880395625/3646529322083449/

Club 92 in Leopardstown Racecourse - again, it pulled a huge crowd each week in the late 1990s.

Rumours Nightclub on Cathal Brugha Street - huge crowd, appeared to advertise on all radio stations.

The Palace nightclub on Camden Street: very popular with students, and across from the hugely popular (with students) Flannery's pub (which is still there)

The Pod nightclub in the old Harcourt Street train station: what happened it?

There were other supposedly VIP nightclubs around Grafton Street which those wafflers in the gossip columns wrote about far too often. There was also a big ravers' place named The Vault near the IFSC.

Surrounding areas:

Tramps/Vortex, etc, County Club, Dunshaughlin: busloads used to arrive there from west Dublin.

La Touche Hotel, Greystones: £1 per drink for all drinks on Thursday nights in the 1990s had busloads from Dublin.

Spiders/Hippodrome, The Diamond and a whole slew of nightclubs in Navan

Oasis in Carrickmacross, at the time the largest nightclub in Ireland, the night trip of all night trips to a night club beyond the Pale.

What nightclubs do you remember most, and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Other memories about nightclubs:

Drink-fuelled fights and even stabbings marked too many nightclubs. The bouncers frequently acted like gods, and were looked upon as such by a certain cohort. It was very common to have a chicken curry included as part of the entrance fee to a disco. Common also for nightclubs to end the night with everybody standing to attention for Amhrán na bhFiann (the nearer one got to the border, the more common this became). Drink promotions were enormously common (particularly in places like the UCD Student Bar), and people drank way more than they could hold, which is linked to the first sentence. The music was way, way too loud so you could barely hear each other, so you drank more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Panama Jack's Castlebar. Raving mad it was ....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was there one on Kildare Street \ Nassau Street, maybe later on Club Nassau? I'm trying to think of its previous name.

There's a list here

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Are you thinking of Peg Woffington's? That building is in an awful state now left to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, that's the one. I half remembered it was a bizarre name for a nightclub. I had a feeling it was Peigs or some such.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yeah I think everyone just referred to it as Pegs alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Clubbing in Dublin at the turn of the millennium was brilliant because the majority of clubbers that were taking drugs were abundantly taking XTC which would have you loving your enemy with hugs and luv.

Cocaine mixed with alcohol has brought on serious violence in the recent years and Im glad I’m in my 40’s and no interest in going.

I was a Temple Theatre & Red Box regular in my late teens. Great clubs with superb DJ’s and clientele.

Times have changed but that’s the way of the world.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Late bars have taken over from clubs as Dublin got a bit older.

largest population group in Dublin is 35 to 45. They prefer late bars/pubs to clubs.

Loads of places open late in Dublin still, but most arent clubs.

Also, clubs dont generally open later than bars anyway anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Castlebar Celtic built a new clubhouse in 1990 and opened a night club in it that summer and called it Schallichi's.

For about a year or more it was the best place in town on a Friday night.

But then it just stopped.

And a week later Panama Jacks opened in the TF.

Rumor at the time was that the owners of the TF and the Welcome Inn (the more established vintners) used their influence in the town to have Schallichi's raided for serving underage and had them shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Club M

Used to go there around 1994/1995.

Was it in Temple Bar, or Dame St, I can't remember.

My favorite during the same era was Howl at the moon on Mount st.

I used to get free into Nightowls (Niteowls?) with my UCD staff ID.

• Advertisement

Club M was (is?) in Blooms Hotel in Templebar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Clubbing has really gone out of fashion. It happened very quickly some time around 08 to 10.

The Hiland in Newmarket, Cork was a famous one. Busloads used go there.

It seems like a relic of a bygone era, busloads of young people going to a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bartkingcole

The Pink Elephant And The Zoo Bar by Nassau street.

Scruples in Dun Laoghaire

Annabel’s in the Burlington

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I remember all the Dublin one's mentioned here and will add in the club under Sachs Hotel. Central park in Galway city and the Warrick in Salthill on my travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The Grove in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Break for the Border on Stephen St in town.... was always quiet the odd time I ventured in.

Karma on Fishamble St (although it wasn't a late night club it still was open till after 1am and cheap drink) - it's had a few names since Karma went but more bars. One being Oscars (same as Smithfield) and it was always empty. It's a weird location, but another Trad Irish bar would probably get the tourists flooding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The Chicken Ranch - Milltown, Co. Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Club 1992 and Hollywood Nights were around in the eighties, under different names.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Club 92 was originally Blinkers

Hollywood Nights was originally the Coconut Grove and then became Deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Coconut Grove was the bar. Flamingos was the night club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

And it’s opposite number Club 74. Hardly nightclubs, per se, being held in St Paul’s school gym, and each catering to a vastly different clientele. Good times.

I had my debs in the Sands Hotel in Portmarnock and walked a good bit of the way back to Dublin after it until the Dublin Bus service started and we all jumped on the first bus. I think it was called Tamangos night club then (it had a few names).

Just found a radio advert for Tamangos from the 1980s: https://pirate.ie/archive/tamango-nightclub/ [According to that, the Sands Hotel was apparently also the home of Sunshine Radio, the pirate radio station]

I also went to a thing called a... roller disco. They were all the rage for kids and younger teenagers around the time of the Coca Cola Spinners, Soda Streams, Rubik's Cubes, and sandwich makers. They were such great, great fun watching guys showing off to girls and landing on their backsides. And roller discos with everybody wearing Halloween Costumes were in a league of their own. Also discos on iceskates in Phibsboro and Dolphin's Barn if I recall.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0630/711643-roller-disco-syndrome/?fbclid=IwAR3sjCLr0Pud2LLUmJx6otMdF2Bq8lLTIiSYrar4xBOHHv-KI-KybnT7jQY

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Jets. Out behind the airport.

What a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The pub was called the Bull and Bear in my time (early 90s).

In the early noughties, there was another well-known nightclub -Bondi?- on the site of Blake's restaurant in Stillorgan, where Cairn is currently building 377 apartments (https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/cairn-homes-plans-377-apartments-for-stillorgan-1.4857764).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Panama Jack's on its own was a good spot but fairly standard nightclub fare for the time.

It was around 2000 where they started opening Panama Jack's,the Blueroom,Brazilia and the Massive main ballroom when things went properly mental all at the same time.4 nights out in 1!

PJ'S normal nightclub,move into the Blueroom for a bit of live music then downstairs to Blueroom to wait to come up on a yolk then into the main ballroom for a rave til all hours.

Buses coming from as far south as Limerick and as far north as Donegal. E was very prominent so no big fights that happened the years before and after.2fm broadcasting live shows from the main room on sat night there a few times.

Overall the best nightclub experience I've had anywhere in the world.

Only lasted two summers as the Gards jumped on the drug side of it and it was reduced back to just Panama Jack's.

God we went to some dodgy places at times. We used to go to McGraths on O'Connell St (when we were underage, they'd let anyone in with their Dublin Bus ID), The Back Gate around the corner on Cathal Brugha Street cos my friend's boyfriend's friend worked there and we knew we'd always get in, The Big Tree was a favourite for a while too it was a great spot but we'd have to get the bus to town, meet our friend who didn't live on the same bus route and then get another bus to Dorset Street 😂

The Harp/Mungo Jerry's 😮

Zanzibar on the quays (later Bondi Beach or something like that?)

Club M as mentioned earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Used to try to go to The End in the Phoenix Park racecourse back in the day, we were only 16/17 at the time so didn't always get in. When we didn't, instead of going home we'd get a taxi into town and go to McGraths on O'Connell St. I don't remember much about it except that it was always jammed and sweaty and they'd serve you a can rather than bottles. Got drunk on 2 cans of Ritz my first night in there (mid 90s) 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

2 that you'd see some dubs travel out to -

Nijinskys on the Curragh.

Clouseau's in Ashford

Advertisement