Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland membership is a complete rip off- Discuss

Options
  • 30-07-2023 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭

So my thought on it are as per the thread title. I'm a leisure cyclist. I love going out on my club spins. I enjoy the odd sportive. The club gets absolutely nothing back as far as I can see in terms of support from CI. It's €50 for a leisure licence and €20 for the club membership. Why is it not the other way around? What exactly do CI do to deserve my €50?

Sportives are organised entirely by the clubs, the only input from CI is giving them an allocated date. Club spins are organised entirely by the clubs and there is absolutely no input from CI.

I have no problem supporting my club but I can not justify paying CI for doing absolutely nothing for me. Am I missing something, am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The Cycling Ireland license used to give you a degree of Insurance, unsure if that still is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's about €10. I had an accident a few years ago and the excess was more than the hospital bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It's the same in all sports organisations. Clubs have to pay affiliation fees for members or teams to the parent sports body.

GAA, soccer, rugby, tennis, golf. Doesn't matter what sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Between that cost and the cost or lack of hotels etc I haven't been bothered to travel to any sportif this year. Just too expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I say this everytime a post like this comes up, and it may sound dismissive but it is serious. Put a motion together to cap leisure fees for 5 years at 25. Put reasons together to explain at the AGM why you think 50 is to much, use other sports organisations as an example, canvas other clubs with large leisure members before hand and so on.

No point complaining if you can't show a reasonable alternative.

For me, I think covering of insurance and administration with a surcharge is reasonable. Administration maybe more than you'd think, there was a price for insurance up there, no idea if it is correct or not. I'd be surprised if, minus a surcharge, it was much less than 20 a head for each but you need to go in with hard numbers.

Personally I thought leisure membership was to cheap for years as it would barely cover admin or insurance but the jump was excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Rubbish, your money is been well spent on consultants, working groups, insurance, solicitors, imagine they could be wasting it by sending irish cyclists to international events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭G1032

There's some relevant info there but for non racing members I stand by my assertion that it's a complete rip-off. The "admin" for leisure events is pretty much entirely done by the clubs and an hour on a Microsoft excel spreadsheet would sort out the schedule of events for the year.

In 2020 I paid for LC, there were no events for the whole year. My club refunded all membership fees and CI never gave as much a cent of a refund or reduction in the following years fees. I wrote an mail enquiring about it and didn't even get an automated response, much less an explanation of where the money was being used

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Insurance is the only reason any leisure rider to join. No CI no club spin & until that cycle is broken you’ll pay have to pay €50, €60, €80 or whatever CI deem appropriate unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Make the AGMs hybrid instead of having them in the arse end of nowhere constantly and maybe there'd be better input from all clubs.

note this years AGM is in September, earlier than normal and any motions need to be in in 13 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I reckon I get great value for my 50 quid tbh. I usually do 2 or 3 events a year which would be a tenner each extra for a one day licence. I also get 10 euro voucher , loyalty discount rate and free shipping even for very low purchase amounts from cycle superstore. Then there's the insurance which thankfully have never needed so can't comment on the value from that, but Im pretty sure I see my 50 quid back regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

What’s actually insured under the CI membership?

Bike? Personal injuries? Or other?

Has anybody got any experience in claiming?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No experience in claiming but the cover is as follows...

Personal Accident

*This cover applies to a member when they are training, **competing or officiating in activities of Cycling Ireland. This includes individual training/leisure cycles, group & club cycles. Medical expenses are covered to a maximum of €2,500 each claim which includes dental expenses up to €2,000. Excess of €250 applies to medical and dental claims. There is also an inner limit of €500 for physiotherapy expenses. Loss of earnings is covered for a maximum of €150 per week for a maximum of 13 weeks with the first week not being covered.

*Add-on of €10 / £9 for Leisure Membership

**Valid competitive membership required to take part in any competitive events

Public Liability (“Third Party”)

This covers a member for any third party liability or property damage for which they are held legally liable. (a third party is a person not accredited with membership of Cycling Ireland) when you are training, competing or officiating in an approved Cycling Ireland activity. (a €500 excess applies to each claim, to be paid by claimant). There is no cover in respect of any injury or damage suffered by one participant caused by another participant during training activities (please note members can still claim the personal accident cover above in this case).

There is an indemnity limit of €6.5 million per incident. An increased limit is available upon request.

Professional Indemnity

Indemnifies registered members (coaches, committee members) in respect of advice given for which they are negligent and leads to a financial loss. 

There is an indemnity limit of €6.5 million per incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The insurance is designed so that most are unlikely to use it.

With a high excess and a low high end payment it's a very specific injury loss that is covered.

Combined with cycling, certainly club cycling, being heavily populated with members likely to have

*Their own health insurance

*Covered by employers with benefit schemes in event of injury

Most injured parties aren't going to bother claiming.

If you don't have the two things above, are self employed and have a physical job they you either pay for proper cover or don't get injured.

€150/week isn't going to cover it.

Expecting €50 a year to cover medical bills and loss of earnings isn't realistic.

Somewhere in the €1000-1500 would likely be more realistic depending on what you want from your insurance policy.

The CI policy is really just about covering a really really really unlikely calamity 3rd party claim with the injury cover for show.

The €20 one day licence is just acting the b0llix

Looking at the UK, British Cycling's insurance offering doesn't seem much better...

• <= £20m Third Party Liability cover
    • Personal Accident cover (for Race Gold members only?) - cash payments if hospitalised overnight & lump sums if you die - no medical expenses.
    • Other forms of insurance cover available to purchase

Membership prices vary but for the personal accident cover membership plan you're looking at £78

There is also Cycling UK, a membership charity who have a similar offering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

So personal injury during leisure cycling is covered but third party is not?

It's the other way around. Everyone gets Third Party whereas racers get personal injury and leisure need to pay another tenner for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Ging and I

Leisure cycling fees are the cash cow for the racing fraternity.

They have absolutely no interest in any other aspect of cycling.

There should be another body independent of CI to cover leisure cycling.

It's been said on here before that this is simply down to racers getting more representation because they are more likely to turn up to CI's AGM and vote on issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

100%.

Especially in Munster.

The sooner there's a breakaway for leisure to cater for the interests of noncompetition riders and invest in that aspect of the sport the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how many clubs don't do races? AFAIK, clubs have to affiliate to CI, so to join a club you also have to join CI. If there were a bunch of leisure only clubs they could breakaway and form their own organisation maybe, but I don't think there are.

The personal insurance is an extra €10 for leisure members, so presumably the other €50 is cover club affiliation and CI's own costs - what exactly does it cover for the clubs? 3rd party cover for racing and leisure spins, is that it?

I don't have much to compare it to (other than Golf Club fees which are on a different planet) but less than €100 a year all in seems cheap enough to join any sports club, but when the bulk of that is going to CI rather than the club it's probably fair to ask what it's for.

That's my biggest issue. 2-3 spins a week with the club, all the social aspects of that and they get €20. CI do absolutely nothing for me but if I don't pay them their €50, I can't go on club spins. It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

My 2c would be the nonsense that one sport does no recognise the others licensing. I renew a TI membership every year but to race in any of the road series or even do a sportive I've to buy a ridiculously over priced ODL or join CI. The same with AI I believe. I understand the need but surely there could be some kind of joined up thinking between all of the organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I'll race for a few more years and once I finish CI won't get another cent from me.

Clubs run and pay for races and sportives, CI contributes nothing. it's the clubs that should get the most of our "fees"

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Forget about who gets what and think of it like this - you pay €70 annually to go on 2-3 club rides per week. That's pretty good value at an average of 50c per ride.

(BTW, your club membership fee is very low - lower than 'non-cycling' membership in most clubs).

I pay GAA membership every year and for 2023 the costs for our club were as follows...

On top of that, there are various club fundraisers during the year with some priced at €100 per ticket. I also have to pay into games (on top of the absolute pain in the hole of having to drive to Kildare's training grounds @ Hawkfield)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the (non-sports) club whose committee meeting i am heading to now, costs minimum €60 a year to join (€20 extra for smaller clubs) and typically €5 to €10 to attend any of the meetups; each chapter (of which there are three in dublin) typically puts on one meeting a month, with the larger chapter having two a month.

nationally, the organisation is a fraction of the size of CI, it must be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Gaa clubs in rural areas are usually much cheaper than that.

But getting back to the point, are the cycling Ireland fees prohibitive to those wanting to start doing o leisure events? Or to start with a club?

• Advertisement

I get the value from my club (and so CI) membership so I'm happy to pay it. I'm still not convinced that CI do much for me as a member and this comes down to the multi-faceted forms one can be on a bike (commuter, leisure cyclist, racer, etc.).

Advertisement