Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HURLING TEAM OF THE YEAR 2023

Options
  • 28-07-2023 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭

ROLL UP AND PICK YOUR HURLING TEAM AND PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

Team of the Year

Goalkeeper: Nicky Quaid

Full back line: Mikey Butler, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash

Half back line: Diarmaid Byrnes, Will O'Donoghue, Kyle Hayes

Midfield: Darragh O'Donovan, David Fitzgerald

Half-forward line: Tom Morrissey, Tony Kelly, Shane O'Donnell

Full-forward line: Conor Whelan, Aaron Gillane, Eoin Cody

Hurler of the Year

Dan Morrissey - Limerick - A firefighter who goes everywhere asked and produces very savvy, excellent performances. Can play anywhere in the backline. Missing two key backs - this guy stepped up and was like a block of concrete at full back. All Limerick's confidence stemmed from how this guy steadied the ship and protected the full back line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭MfMan

A left-field suggestion; Evan Niland for Tom Morrissey? Niland second only to Reid as c'ship top scorer; as good a free-taker and also scored more from play. Was good in most Galway matches, bar the semi-final. Morrissey didn't perform by and large outside of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Rosita

Great call to have Nicky Quaid in instead of Murphy. A much better all round keeper and can actually do puck outs.

And a good and brave anti-populist call to leave off Reid in the forwards. No score from play in either AI semi- final. Fairly irrelevant in the final generally.

HOTY, I'd lean towards Tom Morrissey but Dan is a good choice too. Probably doesn't score enough or do high catches and big runs to catch the eye of many though. Actual defending isn't rated much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

is john conlon not worthing of center back. was consistent all year, got no protection from midfield, has a wingback beside him who is more worried about going up the field than defending and is always on hand to help out the full back line. Will O'Donoghue was all over the place in the first 25 mins against galway until the half forward line started funnelling back. Hurler of the year for me is Kyle Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I agonized over that one. And almost put O'D in midfield but Conlon spent too much time injured to me. He was at six and sevens for a while against Kilkenny but he did recover big time. But... performing at 6, taking over from a captain, in an all-ireland semi and final - that's serious **** to me. Took him a while in the first game but jesus he was great. I'm a big admirer of O'Donoghue, so might be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Quaid

Butler/lawlor/Nash

Byrnes/Burke/Hayes

O donovan/o Donohoe

Morrissey/ reid/o donnell

Whelan/ gillane/cody

Gillane hurler of the year

Edited to take out Tony Kelly..missed top many frees and when man marked has way less effect on a game..tj scores from play have dwindled but Still contributing massively by setting up scores and winning ball..excellent on frees too

• Advertisement

Nah, I couldn't see that. Morrissey wins too much ball and is up and down the field like a madman. Serious work rate. At times, he kept Limerick in games in Munster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd go...

Eoin Murphy

M. Butler H. Lawlor D. Morrissey

D. Byrnes J. Conlon K. Hayes

D. O'Donovan D. Fitz

S. O'Donnell T.J Reid T. Morrissey

A. Gillane Whelan E. Cody

I think Gillane is the obvious HOTY. To be honest even for the All stars there's only a handful that are up for debate. Maybe 3 or 4. The rest of them are pretty locked in.

Quaid has been the best all-round keeper, for sure.

Reid has really struggled in All-Irelands in the second half of his career. Think he has one point from play in four all Irelands. IMO, for a forward performance to be really top tier, you've got to be putting up a lot of scores from play, especially in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,412 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Team of the Year

Goalkeeper: Nicky Quaid

Full back line: Mikey Butler, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash

Half back line: Diarmaid Byrnes, Burke, Kyle Hayes

Midfield: Darragh O'Donovan, Will O'Donoghue

Half-forward line: Tom Morrissey, Cian Lynch, Shane O'Donnell

Full-forward line: Conor Whelan, Aaron Gillane, Eoin Cody.

The final swings the goalkeeper decision for me. Was on the fence like most and still almost am. Fella like a fair few good players missing because of the strength of competition.

Cian Lynch done way, way more than TJ or Kelly when it mattered which is why he is in.

Hurler of the Year.

Kyle Hayes. The only player for Limerick that I left the stadium saying "he was brilliant" in every single match. A fair few got us through the early stages and a few more came alive late on but only he was great for all 7 matches.

Young Hurler of the Year.

Cathal O'Neill. Don't really have very strong feelings on this one as I cant remember a big stand out contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

Murphy

Butler Lawlor Morrissey

Byrnes Conlon Hayes

W O Donoghue Darragh O Donovan

S O Donnell Cian Lynch T Morrissey

C Whelan Gillane Cody.

Why people haven't included Cian Lynch, I can't fathom, he was in the argument for man of the match in the both the All Ireland semi and final knock out games, people putting a lot of store in provincial games which are not do or die games. I'd have Lynch in the shake up for hurler of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

N Quaid

M Butler, H Lawlor, B Nash

D Byrnes, J Conlon, K Hayes

D Donovan, D Fitzgerald

T Morrissey, C Lynch, S O Donnell

C Whelan, A Gillane, E Cody

Player of Year D O Donovan

Moment of Year Eoin Murphy's save v Clare

Woulda thought you'd make a case for Donal Burke. Thought about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes he had a good Leinster campaign but unfortunately that early injury v Clare finished off any outside chance he would have had. His last two long range frees in injury time to beat Wexford was one of my highlights of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

May be open to correction I think cian lynch only got 1 point in the all Ireland..he had a fantastic game though and was their best player.in the first half especially...i can see why people would give him the all star ahead of tj.scores aren't the be all and end all..bonner maher was often scoreless for tipp but was always one of tipps best forwards..

Depends on the player really.

TJ did win and distribute some lovely balls but other things are also expected of a top TJ performance.

Lynch could get no points as a forward and still have done all the jobs expected of him as a playmaker and is one of the few forwards could win Man of the Match without scoring.

2 points this year. Injured last year. 6 against Cork.

I think there was a big difference between Lynch's and TJ'S performance this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

So you're saying that there is more to assessing a forward's (irrespective of who they are) performance than scores from play?

I'm saying it depends on the forward and also what their role in the team is.

Bonner scored more from play in the 2016 final and Lynch in this year's final ( both scored two points) than TJ has from play in his last four all ireland finals with KK.

OK, so how does one know which players need to score from play in order to be adjudged to have played well and which don't? Is there a list somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That may be so but there is more to forward play than points from play. For a start freetaking is a crucial part of TJ's game, secondly if you look at TJ's impact in the 2022 final for example at least 80% of Kilkenny's scores either come from him or are setup by him.

I think its hugely reductive to judge forward play just by scores from play. Though admittedly it does make picking teams of the year an awful lot easier.

There is certainly more to a forward's play than scoring. And certainly on the half forward line. But that said, scoring is the main objective of a forward. That is absolutely certain - the first criteria on the ladder of judging a forward's impact. It is absolutely crucial to a high-grade performance as a forward. 1 point from play from 4 all - ireland finals is nowhere near great scoring from play. Dress it up whatever way you like.

This time around TJ's impact on the game wasn't that of Lynch either - regardless of scores from play.

Eoin Larkin is a forward famous for work rate. You'd never catch him with a stat like that.

Well it's about how much a player influenced the game. Lynch gets only a handful of points but creates a ton of them for instance.

Certainly not so controversial an opinion that it requires such a hostile response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 legend185

1. Quaid
    2. Butler
    3. Lawlor
    4. Morrisey
    5. Byrnes
    6. Conlon
    7. Hayes
    8. O'Donovan
    9. O'Donoghue
    10. O'Donnell
    11. Kelly
    12. Morrisey
    13. Whelan
    14. Gillane
    15. Cody

HOTY: Gillane

I didn't mean to come across as hostile, I actually agree with you but it is the selective application of this opinion by posters is what I have an issue with. TJ's main contribution to Kilkenny over the last five or six years has not been scores from play or even free taking, he is not expected to be their main scorer for play, he has been the team's leader, he is our best ball winner, sets up many scores from play and is fouled for a significant proportion of the frees he converts.

Besides it seems hypocritical to me that those who rave about the importance of goal keeper's puck outs are quickest to dismiss the increased importance of a 9/10 free taker in the modern game where cynical play is used to stop attacks before they get going and players are buying frees more than ever.

It could be argued that free taking is more relevant to assessment of an individual's performance than puck outs are to a goal keepers performance since free taking success is almost solely down to the individual's skill at free taking whereas with puck outs there are other very significant variables at play such as the success of the team's systems aimed at creating space and giving the goalkeeper something to aim at, which of course some teams are much better at than others. Yet we constantly hear how great certain player's puck outs are when assessing their performance.

There have been many instances over this years championship and previous ones that show the importance of a great free taker, with great players like Horgan, Gillane and Kelly missing frees at crucial times, Reid rarely misses even when under extreme pressure and while how much you should consider free taking in the assessment of performance is subjective, leaving it out of the assessment in the first place is nonsensical

Dismissing players performances with a "didn't score from play" is simplistic in the extreme and certain posters are applying this logic to matches where the player in question was in the running for man of the match even more so.

Post edited by Freneys Treasure on

Hang on, the title here is the team of the year 2023. What happened last year is inadmissible (which is not to imply that it's inarguable)

Let's be honest here, Kilkenny scored 0-7 from play in the recent All Ireland (Limerick scored 0-20). When you have that poverty of points from play of course your free-taker becomes disproportionately important. It's inevitable that a free-taker is going to be involved in a high percentage of scores. But that doesn't make it team of the year performance level.

Maybe true about Lynch, a playmaker supreme, but he has the energy and mobility that Reid does not have. Hell nearly always show up in scoring positions unlike Reid. Plenty more effective forwards at this stage than Reid, like Patrick Horgan and Jason Forde who can score frees for fun.

That's all factual, precise, and logical. So, obviously, some posters will now argue black is white.

You obviously have conveniently forgotten the relatively easy free Reid missed late in the first half last Sunday when Kilkenny badly needed to rack up scores. You're not alone at least, Michael Duignan went very quiet after it too. Didn't suit him one but.

• Advertisement

Except for the little matter of it not being factual or precise, Kilkenny scored 2-7 from play not 0-7

Advertisement