Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any counties with more relaxed planning regulations?

Options
  • 27-07-2023 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hello.

I’m not asking in order to cut corners in safety. In my county, the rules for building can be bureaucratic and senseless.

For example, you have to have lived in the area in which you want to build for a certain number of years, and, if you live beside a bungalow you have to build a bungalow, vise Versa if a two story, or a dormer (or something to a similar effect). You’re not allowed to make a house out of wood. I find it to be overly scrutinising, feels like unnecessary rules for the sake of rules. 

Are there any counties (ideally in the west but not necessarily. Any county you can think of I’ll take) that have less scrutinous building rules? (Let the people build!). Primarily a county that doesn’t have a rule such that I’d have to have lived there for a certain number of years in order to build there, since I don’t live there now, and in which I can build my house out of wood and in any shape and design I like as long as it’s safe. 

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well here in Switzerland after getting planning permission, you can file an amended plan later without giving notice, it the responsibility of those who want to object to keep tabs on it. One of my neighbors plan for a three bed room house morphed into a 3 apartment house, 4 garages and a shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shkrood

deleted also

Post edited by shkrood on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

county...not country ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So your'e a student who respects the law and want to be free to build what you want where you want but statutory planning and building regulations should not apply to you. Good luck with that.

(Deleted - so to speak)

Post edited by shkrood on

• Advertisement

And for accuracy’s sake, I may have been wrong about the matching to your neighbours house size and the likes. I still find the rules here a bit harsh however. And, am not looking to break the rules. On the contrary, I want to find a county in which I can do what I like without subverting any rules or local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wouldn't worry OP, there doesn't seem to be a county in Ireland where you can't get away with flaunting planning, not paying rent or a mortgage.

The secret is you just need to call it 'a home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

All rural areas have local needs as far as I know. I am familar with two counties, one where i live and one where i am from, both have local needs in place and are in the West. You would have to read the county development plan. I do know of someone building a very mall selfbuild in timber in the North West but they do meet local needs. I’m not sure what you mean by not being allowed to build with timber. There are also plenty of timber frame houses being built at the moment. You need to apply to the council with a plan and see what they say. Your best option is to do that where you meet local needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Otherwise just buy an old house and do it up.

I have no idea why this 'local needs' thing has never been constitutionally challenged. If you're a citizen of a country there should be no restriction on where you want to travel or indeed live.

It really perplexes me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

There are no restrictions on travelling or living anywhere in this country. There are restrictions on building one-off homes in rural areas.

Especially when certain voices complain about the death of rural communities.

I've seen absolute monstrosities been given planning because they satisfy local needs so it's nothing to do with preserving the local environment or landscape.

Cute hoorism is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There are many different types of designs and styles, and every site is unique. For example, a row of three houses of similar styles, if you were building a fourth house in that row, the style should match the others. If you were building on a new site and there weren't other houses too close, you have more freedom to choose a different style. You could pick something more architecturally unique and modern, though how it sits in the local landscape will also be a factor.

The point is, there is no right or wrong house design. It's entirely contextual. Many counties have a design guide on their website detailing different forms, shapes, materials etc that are generally acceptable.

It's not cute hoorism. In many cases, the architect/client will design in accordance with development plans and design guides, have a pre-planning meeting with the planner to get initial feedback, adjust design as necessary, submit planning, often have to revise the design if required as part of further information, and then build. There is a framework in place to get these designs approved, rather than just "I should be able to build what I want! It's just cute hoorism!"

Exactly it makes zero sense, especially with the problem of westerns moving to the east.

Granted, there should be planning regulations atleast as far as safety goes, and ignorance of planning laws at all isn’t the right way forward.

but to me it’s just nonsensical that my house has to look like my neighbours, as if their creative vision, or that of whoever first thought up these rules when pebble dash was in fashion, is the one that trumps all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Counties with a good bit of coastline, (I know that's a good few) are probably more restrictive.

Advertisement