Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you ever run out of battery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That's the lowest I've ever had it. I has done all the 354 kms that day and got to the charger on motorway with 2% battery 7kms left. I did have plenty of options before the charger I eventually used though it was a conscious decision to keep driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,977 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Came home with 0% on many occassion in Teslas, knowing there is a little bit left. Not so much fun in the likes of an Ioniq, where the car goes into turtle mode severely limiting acceleration and speed. Never ran out, but if I did, all modern fully comp insurance comes with break down service. And only risk it going home (Dublin) so worst case scenario is you wait maybe an hour or so for a pick up truck. I have saved myself many, many hours just pushing it, by not having to go and publicly fast charge somewhere, which is risky and also costs money.

Almost all the round trips I have done in the past 3 years were less than 350km, which the car can do without charging if you take it handy...

Mind I have been driving EVs almost exclusively for near 7 years now and range anxiety is something that mostly happens to (fairly) new EV owners or people that don't know their cars that well and don't have the guts to find out (perfectly understandable)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My wife did before we got a EV, she ran out of petrol in the winter and called me to come out with a Jerry can. While waiting for me she had the heating on and the lights. By the time I arrived her battery was dead , does that count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

We ran out of battery on L24 back in 2016. The charger at Midway was out of action and we ran out of luck 100 mtrs before the J14 exit. Got recovered on the Nissan breakdown assitance 500 meters to the charger. Was a bit embarrassing sitting on the M7 waiting for the tow truck to arrive.

I also semi-intentionally ran out of battery 50 meters before home earlier this year on the L30 when I was testing the 100% to turtle on it. The neighbour helped push it around the corner.

Got the L40 down to 0% indicated once also but no sign of Turtle yet so wasn't even a close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daveq

Not all pensioners have smart phones and/or are comfortable having multiple apps depending what charger you could arrive at. Once you can pull up to a charger or forecourt and just pay for it without figuring out if you're signed up to this or that and can pay like you can for petrol it will be easier for them (and everyone else TBF)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Never did but I did have serious range anxiety once when the night before a house fuse tripped and I had only 50% SOC instead of a full tank of electrons. As luck would have it an unexpected trip to Midleton from Tipp ensued. Enough to get there but not get back. "I'll charge in Midleton" says I, "be grand". Arrived at destination only to find the charger on the hyundai app was a work of fiction. No other chargers in area. "I'll deal with it later". I went about my business anyway, a date, and about 90 mins later got back into car. Punched home into the sat nav only to be greeted with "insufficient charge to reach destination." GOM indicated I was about 25km short. At this stage it was late so decided "**** it, I'll nurse it home and hope for the best." Was going well bumbling along at 80kph on regional roads when I happened upon a Garda road closure that necessitated adding about 20km to my journey in dark, unfamiliar rural roadd. That's when I started sweating. In the end I got home with indicated 25km range left and about 8% SOC. Upon arrival, and clearly not having run out of charge I got curious/stupid and drove over and back to the farm a few times and back. Only got 17km before SOC went to zero from 4% and straight into turtle mode. Limped into the driveway but the turtle mode was very disconcerting. It seems, in the Hyundais at least, that there's almost zero range beyond 0% SOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sekond

An apology, a loan of another car while they figured out what on earth the problem was (it was their first EV of that brand so they hadn't a clue what was going on) and the car delivered back out to me with a nearly full charge. 😁 My husband doesn't often make a fuss about things, but he made a very big, polite, fuss until they agreed to all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Never did. I think the percentage dropped into the 20s once, which is as low as I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

In Ioniq, when visiting friend did not take to account he lives uphill. Luckily car stopped at the entrance of the farmers house. Managed to charge via granny cable and extension lead provided by the house owner. Got car charged up to 3% and drove remaining 700 meters to my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So here's what I've learnt from this thread so far

1.Running out of battery is generally rare, about half of the time it happens it seems to be people doing it on purpose

2.A lot of us are chancers who will drive down to single digit percentages rather than go for a public charger (myself included). I guess if ICE owners had a petrol pump at home that charged a third as much then they'd do it too

3.When the Ioniq says 0% it REALLY means it 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Yes ran out of juice around 100meters from my house. Plug the granny cable into a neighbours house no big deal!

I have had it down to 1% loads of times 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Anyone else have a original Kona EV

We lost power twice. Both times the range said it had 10km or so left.

At around 20km it went into turtle mode, 60kmphr max then around 1 km from home it stopped. Turned it off and back on again and we got home.

2nd time not so lucky and had to get a tow to a charger!

I remember one YouTuber, Mr. EV, ran out in his E-Niro with 30km left on the GOM. Turns out the GOM wasn't calibrated and the car thought it had more range than it did

Basically, he had to run out of battery for it to figure out where 0% is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got to 1% when there wasn't a charger available anywhere in/around Swords once in a 40kWh Leaf. Eventually a slow opened up at the Airport; then after it had one or two % more the Chademo also opened up.

Fully out, no.

Shoulda sent me a PM, I'd have let you plug in to the house charger 😉

There's actually a lot of EVs around Swords, I'd say if anyone is ever stuck they'd have plenty of houses they could beg for a few kWhs. At least if there's an EV owner there they'd probably be sympathetic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm currently EV less - that was a company vehicle - but I'm more aware of Plugshare and forums etc now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ah turtle mode, the reason we all have to sit in line behind the local climate-saving EV driver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭zg3409

It is recommended to run car down to below 20% and up to 100% once in a while so the car does recalibrate the capacity "guess" to give accurate range and prevent sudden drops below 20%. The battery management system monitors every cell in the battery and estimates when they will be full and empty. Without running near empty the battery management system can get confused then suddenly realise lots of cells are suddenly near empty and the range can suddenly jump down. Some people never let their battery go low and charge every night, and months later the car cannot calculate range accurately.

How's your backfired wind turbine thread going? Still making you look silly?

Post edited by coolbeans on

Nobody is more silly than those who believe the climate is broken

• Advertisement

For sure, it's a great conspiracy. They're just trying to control us. The WEF and the UN and the fifteen minute cities and all the rest. You're onto something there. It's a shame a person of your knowledge, insight and ability to see the truth isn't in a more influential position in life isn't it? If you were you could spread the truth but alas for humanity nobody listens to you. Alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

My only bad experience in my Tesla was completely my fault.

I had to drive from Dublin to Ennis and back in the same day. Done it before, just needs a stop in Birdhill on the way back. I've got the navigation programmed there and back.

Coming up to Birdhill and the nav start beeping that Birdhill chargers are closed. Well that sucks. I can charge in Limerick but I pull over into Birdhill to see what's going on. Chargers are working fine. I need to be in Ennis soon soon so I only put a couple of percent into it and go on my way.

Had to do a bit more driving around Ennis than expected but it's fine I'll get to Birdhill with about 10%. Head back, navigation is still saying the superchargers are down. Silly navigation system, I know better than you!

Get to Birdhill, and the chargers are down, being serviced. Guy tells me they're upgrading the communications to 4g and they mark them as out of service about an hour before they arrive to do the work. Was stuck in Birdhill for nearly two hours. Doh!

Gotta give some negative points to Tesla as well for taking the whole site offline, even if it was planned. Surely they could have done half the chargers at a time or set them to free vend if comms weren't available?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

They were opening all the back end cabinets, the only safe thing to do is shut the whole site down. Of course the applegreen chargers that are on the same site were not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

-plundered fresh water reserves of South America

-environmental damage from lithium mining

-Carbon footprint of manufacture and delivery of the car

-disposal impacts

Driving an EV simply gives you the privilege to sh1t in someone else's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Can’t get pic right way around. Turtle mode, warning messages galore. Literally parked up beside home charger and stopped. Dumb, in a rush home after a 200km drive and took a chance on not doing the usual top up charge on way…never again. Saying that was the one and only time had range worry in 1.5yrs of driving her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭fafy

Just once, in two years driving an Ev, i almost got caught. was out and about, and had enough for where i was originally going, but did a bit of a detour, and eventually knew i would not make it home, was down to 5km range, had to slow down, and got to a charger with just 1km left.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Husband drives the car a lot now, and he has severe range anxiety, so it gets plugged in as soon as it hits about 50% now!

Your much better to let it get to 20% at least as every charge of the battery is another charge cycle and 1 less.

so you are not getting to use that last 50%.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I always feel there's a useful range that you probably don't want to go below, for me I feel like it's around 40% or ~140km. That's pretty arbitrary but I feel like it's enough to tackle any trip I might need to do at short notice

Last week I was scraping along at around 20-30% because there wasn't a whole lot of sunlight to charge the car from solar and I was trying to avoid charging from the grid. Car kept flashing low battery warnings with "only" 100km of range left when I was 5km from home 🤦‍♂️

One easy way to determine how much range you really need is to take the distance to the nearest hospital and add around 30% for weather or traffic. Rushing to the hospital is probably one thing you don't want to stop and charge for

Advertisement