Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility door size is too small to fit a standard washing machine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

In that case surely they wouldn't supply taps

What are the building regulations on this , surely it complies ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Taps are different.

The provisions of electrical outlet, waste and water connection would mean it was intestinal alright.

Building regs that apply could be Part B (Fire Safety), protection of the escape stairs. Then subsidiary to that, it’s a higher risk area, so IS3218, Fire Alarm and Detection Systems come into play. But that’s my opinion. Others may be more lax than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do you mean by an "out"?

If the builder changes the design, they are responsible for those changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think he means that contracts usually have a disclaimer that all measurements aren't exact.

If that's what he means, it's still incorrect.

Measurements can vary within reason as long as what is constructed is compliant and functional. But a full door becoming an 580mm door is not reasonable. I mean, if the washing machine can't fit into the utility, then it isn't functional. May even be non compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If you buy a 4 bedroomed house you would need a big washine machine as loads more washing to do.

1 bed house would have little washing to do but big things are limited in size..

It was an oversight indeed .

A washing machine can, just not the one the OP wants. Sure you're not even supposed to buy furniture for a new house until you measure it - no point measuring the neighbours or even an earlier phase just in case something has changed. "as built" after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Whatever the ins and outs it's a terrible idea.

Washing machines are known to go on fire, more than any other appliance.

You'd be jumping out a first storey window if it happened at night, once you get over the confusion of smoke flying up the stairs in the dark.

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd love to see a photo of this door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I just went onto curry’s website and the width of all their washer dryers are 590mm and over. If the frame to frame opening is 590 then no washer dryers are getting in.

Appliances don’t last forever. If you need it repaired or replaced, you would have to remove door frame every time just to get the thing out! That’s not good.

Is there nowhere else you can put the appliance and use under stairs for other storage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So would I.

The most talked about door on Boards.

It's one thing if somebody wanted a massive commercial unit and it didn't fit. But if a standard washing machine doesn't fit into a space that is supposed to be for a washing machine. Then there is an obvious issue. As-Built is an excuse to build what you want.

People are advised to measure before buying furniture because people are usually terrible with judging sizes 🤣.

I'm more curious how big the "room" is. Wonder at which point does part M apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

I once had to remove the door and the door stops to get a large fridge freezer into a kitchen.

Appreciate you might not have door stops - possibly a rebated frame - but if so could you remove the rebate and use door stops thereafter.

Not sure if the utility door has a fire performance so you might need to check if that can still be achieved.

There wouldn't be a great deal of difference in cost for a 2' door and a 2'3" door - so not sure why the builder changed the door size unless space was a critical issue - assume this is for a utility cupboard rather than a utility room.

Longer term it might be worth having a larger door - you should probably speak to the builder on this - especially if building is still ongoing - easy enough to modify if they still have people on site. Should be fit for purpose.

F

Advertisement