Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility door size is too small to fit a standard washing machine

Options
  • 26-07-2023 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Couple of weeks back before our final move in, I discovered that the utility door under the staircase has less than 60cm door width which cannot accommodate a standard washing machine. When I checked with one of my friends from the same builder's first phase, the size was measured at 69cm. My neighbour are facing the similar issue and the builder has not yet provided any resolution to this. The estate is still under construction and we are the very first few to move in.

As a side note, the intension of the under staircase utility room is to have a washing machine as they have fitted the in-let and out-let for the washing machine with an exhaust fan.

On another note, from my end I did probably most of the things to fit the washing machine, i.e., removed the wooden door, dismantled the washing machine door to make it a bit slimmer but still its not going in. Now, some people might argue why don't I get a smaller machine but is that something builder will decide what would be my family requirement in terms of washing/drying.

Can anyone provide any advice what can be done as a next step? Here next step as in how to deal this kind of things with builder.

Post edited by hypheni on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mad! Can door leaf be taken off temporarily to get the washing machine in? What is measure of door ope frame to frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

are you not already posting this query on another forum OP, and you got a good few responses there as to what to do, i.e. get a smaller washing machine and the control knob can come off too to allow for getting it in the door sideways?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In fairness the OP is not looking for a workaround but more-so they are wondering what the next steps are when talking to the builder as the builder hasn't offered a solution yet.

At the end of the day it would seem to me that the builder has put them at a disadvantage in terms of the selection of washing machines and dryers as they are now restricted to <60cm devices.

I suggested that they post here as there would be more experience with dealing with these type matters, rather than on the previous forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

ah ok, thanks! I thought it was solutions/workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hypheni

I should have clarified this in my original post, I did everything, i.e. removed the door, removed the washing machine door as well (yes dismantled the brand new €1,000 washer/dryer just to fit it inside). Frame to Frame the gap is about 59cm and if you keep the door probably only option is to go for some 55cm either width/depth. And yes @10-10-20 is absolutely right, I am looking for suggestion how it can be handled with builder. Why would I do all these when I paid more than €365K for a newly build house..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is it a block wall or just timber and plasterboard? The second is the builder gets in a carpenter and plasterer to resize. If it's the first a more difficult problem.

I believe its a plasterboard. But the point is how do I convince builder that its a fault and it should have been rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Somebody didn't think of the obvious. Builder can blame architect or engineer, but it's his problem to fix. Are all monies paid over?

Is it a problem for a group of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is this room also the downstairs bathroom?

Yes we moved in last week. The room is just an utility area to keep washing machine. The washroom is next to it which is surprisingly big enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Another thing to consider. Maybe the space should not be used to contain appliances. The stairs is the escape route.

Is there a risk from fire from this “room” to the underside of the stairs?

Is the house 2 storey or 3 storey. There’s been court cases in Dublin over something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭BK5

Will it fit in if you take the door frame out OP?

I had to do that to fit a small chest freezer under my stairs a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Washer/dryer under a stairs is a fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It's a bad place for appliances but if that is where it is set up for its not a major job for a carpenter to fit a wider frame and door.

Tell the builder that you have purchased a standard size machine which will not fit in the planned location and you expect the issue to be rectified. If more houses have this issue approach the builder together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭emeldc

Correct. I would have thought the ceiling above the washer/dryer needs to be double slabbed with fire rated plasterboard as the stairway is an escape route.

I guess the door that they have provided is fire safe. I can tell that from the weight of it as when I removed the door, it was really heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hmm ok. Does the door have strips down the sides, like plastic inserts all down the length of it?

No, nothing like that. Just a normal door with 3 strong metal hinges.

As a matter of interest, why is this a problem for the builder? All they need to say is that the space is designed for slimline appliances.

Yes that's an excuse; If you look at their first phase houses, there the size is 69cm which is about 10cm wider than my one.

• Advertisement

Designs get updated between phases though. What's to stop you buying an extra large machine or suite of furniture which won't fit through the front door and blaming the builder because they didn't take it into account?

I fail to see why this is a problem, there are machines available that do fit.

Design should be updated to fix things not break things. We do call this bugs in software development and here in case of building houses, I guess either it was deliberately done because of saving cost by cutting down 10cm door width or simply a real disaster made by the architect or whoever made the choice. I guess most of you is not getting the point here, i.e., dealing with builder which is what I am asking. I have already tried couple of mechanism to dismantle the washing machine and fit it inside but isn't it the builder who should be supporting home buyers in such kind of situations?

After sales support is the key to win reputation and run businesses in long term. I am definitely not gonna leave this here and will take some action for sure. If you cannot feel the problem, please don't say there is no problem.

Again to repeat myself, the question is why would home owners be limited to use a smaller washing machine for a prominent builder's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

I really don’t fancy your chances OP! I think you would have to prove that the builder claimed that the room would accommodate a “standard width” washing machine which I’m sure he didn’t? I know hindsight is easy but surely you would measure the width of a door before buying an appliance that needs to pass through it … particularly when it is obviously not a full size door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭mulbot

First thing you should do is get a copy of the design plans-that'll show what size that door should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

This is the main point is it built as as designed? it is that design that you agreed to purchase... ie did you get what you paid for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Maybe the builder is attempting to limit the use of the space under the stairs to protect you and your family in the case of a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You haven't established that its the builders fault. It coud be, it could be the architect/designers fault, or it could be your fault. All depends on what the contract and documents show.

Do the contract plans show a design for larger than 60cm door, but builder has built ir smaller. If so, it is builders fault.

Do the plans (specifically door schedule) indicate that the door is in fact <60cm with the expectation that it is a standard laundry. Then the designer is likely at fault.

Or do the plans indicate that it is a compact laundry suitable for a given size of washing machine, but you wanted a bigger one. Well, that's not the fault of the design or the builder.

Do most contracts for housing estate builds not include a “get out clause” for design alterations?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’m actually not sure exactly what you’re getting at tbh.

But if a purchaser made alterations to a design during construction. That would absolutely indemnify the designer abd contractor.

• Advertisement

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that I think most contracts for houses in estates have a clause that gives an out to the builder to make design small changes as they deem necessary.

Advertisement