Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin residences under airport flight paths; negligence on behalf of airport, Irish transport, who?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

What has really ramped this up for these residents is that since the 4/7/2023 the operating hours of the North runway have been extended to, wait for it, the hours permitted under the original planning permission granted (years and years ago). This means flights are departing from 07:00 - 23:00 and many days departing out to the West (our prevailing winds).

I live on the other side of the airport and we have had aviation noise since day 1 and continue to have. Practically the whole belt from Howth, Sutton, Portmarnock, Clongriffin, Balgriffin, The Baskin, Darndale, Santry, Ballymun North, Finglas North, Blanchardstown, Tyrrlestown have and always have aviation noise. Completely normal and fine when you live beside the major international airport and live on an island of 7 million people who need to get on and off said island at various stages during the year.

The new set up is actually better for a greater part of the population of Dublin. Why? Because the departure routing takes aircraft over lightly populated, mainly farmland in North County Dublin. People were always going to moan, that's fine. They should do their research and be ignored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in fairness, in portmarnock with the prevailing winds the way they are, planes are usually on approach to the airport as they pass over, not taking off. there's a noticeable difference in engine noise.

my wife has a horse in a yard near kilsallaghan. it's common enough for a plane passing overhead to be loud enough as to stop a conversation briefly. the horses don't seem to mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Person buying housing near airport outraged at airplane noise. Shocking.

A completely unprecedented thing to have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Just set up a system where the planes are penalised by the amount of noise they make. The amount of pilots that boot down the runway at 100% is ridiculous. 60% is more than enough to get airborne.

Climb a few thousand meters and then 100%.

Have you ever noticed that some planes are way louder than others despite them being the same or very similar model of plane.

Pilots are the biggest messers out there, everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I dont live under a flightpath, but know the experience well. I think some people here arent appreciating the continuous conveyor-belt fashion the noise occurs in.

Its not intermittant noise from time to time intersperced with silence, but rather low level noise followed by high level noise followed by low, high, low. There is no break. Just for those who havent lived it.

And depending where you are this can go on for hours.

So yes, needs of the many and all that, but its easy to say that when the issue is someone elses. I have no solution to offer them, move if you can, i guess. Im not taking sides, but i do note that if youre on the wrong side of something in this country then youre fcked and can expect no mercy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I think this is the sort of post @Sugar_Rush was looking for:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Well, at least there's some appreciation of the situation.

The run way was given planning permission based on predetermined flight paths;

Which they have now reconfigured to the detriment of residents.

The IAA is clearly accountable.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I grew up in Portmarnock and my house was right under the flight path. You do become accustomed to the sound even when you are a child.

This was even before double glazed windows common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I cycle out that way a couple of days a week. It takes me 10 or 15 minutes to get along that road from Kilsallaghan (the townland is called Kilsallaghan. Kilsallaghan is not just the village) up past the airport.

In that time a lot of days there would be 3 or so planes taking off.

I lived in Swords years ago and you would hear planes all the time but they didnt seem too loud and you got used to them, but my God, when planes take off and you are cycling long that road it would literally be shaking you with the noise of them. Imagine every time you go out in the garden getting your very bones shook by the noise. I would never live anywhere near there and I have a high tolerance for noise. If I was to compare it to any sound id say the loudness when you are right up beside the speaker at a concert would be close. You know when you can feel the vibrations of the bass in your chest.

When I lived in New York I lived beside the BQE which was constant noise 24/7.

You know who I complained to- that's right- nobody. Because I chose to live beside it.

• Advertisement

You're the NIMBY woman in the video aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You take off with the requisite amount of power to take off safely, no more no less. So there's absolutely nothing that can be changed there.

Charging based on the noise profile of the aircraft is done elsewhere and will likely be part of the package of discounts for lower emission aircraft (which are generally, but not inherently, quieter) that is coming in

In this case would Dublin Airport not be the NIMBY as it was there before the people moved to the houses?

As in it was the airports backyard first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be curious to see a source for that 60% claim made. from some reading, 85-90% seems more likely.

i mentioned this to my wife - as mentioned, she's got a horse in a yard, address is in kilsallaghan townland. according to google maps, it's 5.5km from the end of the new runway and 6.7km from the end of the original one. she says the noise level is much higher than another yard she's been to quite a few times - at the kinsealy end of baskin lane - which is 'only' 4.25km from the end of the original runway. as i remarked above, the difference whether you're on an approach path or takeoff path is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,621 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

From the article:

'"Like many people that would have moved to this area in recent years, we had absolutely no idea that this was going to be the case.

"We did know what the planning conditions were, where flight paths were meant to be and were advertised to be in accordance with the new North Runway.

"We were obviously under the impression that we would never be under a flight path. We knew we were going to be in the vicinity of planes, but not have them flying over our home.

"We would never have chosen to live under a flight path."'

Sounds like someone didn't do their due diligence when moving to this area, the information was all available beforehand if they'd bothered to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's called "Reduced Thrust Takeoff" and it's definitely a thing. The recommendation from the manufacturers is approx 60% but altitude and air pressure will sway that. The engines on modern airliners are extremely powerful.

RTT reduces fuel usage, reduces maintenance costs and noise.

But there is nothing to actually stop a pilot giving it the beans down the runway the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

In the month of June, with the fine weather, all the departures for a large part of the month were to the East. Straight out over a far more populated area than the Westerly departures off the North runway. Where was Newstalk or all these people interviewing the poor people of Kinsealy or Clongriffin or Portmarnock complaining.

They weren't because airports have planes and planes take off and land and make noise. That's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well no, depends on temperatures, headwind, weight of aircraft and lot of other factors before becoming airborne. Heavier aircraft needs more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

After they have finished shutting down the airport, can we close the M50 as well? The noise of all those cars is very upsetting and I don't want to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Archeron

When my uncle drove down a hill in his mini in the eighties, he'd knock off the engine to save fuel and it was much quieter(er) too. Could the planes knock off the engines about 20km off the coast? Just glide in, like batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They need the engines for control, and also to taxi on ground. So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 82,043 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

• Registered Users Posts: 82,043 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Especially in modern cars which require brake and steering system pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's like new residents in Saggart and rathcoole complaining about the noise coming from aircraft operating of baldonnel aerodrome , various groups trying to get hours restricted,not on the same scale but similar situations ,

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Why is such a big deal made out of noise of planes near the main international airport, noise is bound to be expected?

I've stayed in houses under the flight paths to airports like JFK, PDX once you hear it once it just becomes normal, if you are outside and happen to be looking at the sky you might go oh look a plane, but you don't pass any remarks & it never woke me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I am in Ashbourne and the noise that planes are making is horrendous when your trying to sleep. Has anyone got through to the DAA I have been trying for 2 months without success. Anyone gone down a different route to make a complaint. I have left multiple messages and used their complaint form and have heard didley.

Advertisement