Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin residences under airport flight paths; negligence on behalf of airport, Irish transport, who?

Options
  • 25-07-2023 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

All I can say is my heart goes out to the affected:

As I understand, the airport has updated flight paths and now flights travel over residential areas with a number of houses effected.

In my opinion, whomever is responsible, be it airlines, the airport itself, Irish transport (who must have authorized the change), should simply foot the bill for rehousing the affected, or reconfigure the situation to alleviate this burden.

Can you imagine living there?

Having to wear ear plugs, suffering anxiety, you children suffering anxiety.

Straight up negligence and deserving of more media coverage.

I know I know, war in Ukraine, many worse situations but as anyone who has experienced it can relate, that kind of noise invasiveness is crippling and action to correct the issue should be taken immediately (part of which will involve enough media coverage such to compel the negligent parties to review their error).

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But flight paths always went over residential areas. Ask anyone living in portmarnock.

I imagine it could be hard to get used to, at first, but after a while you don't even notice them. I used to have a railway line at the bottom of the garden, after a few days you don't hear the trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

This article specifies that since the beginning of this month, residences which formerly had no disturbance, now have intolerable, deafening disturbance.

Never lived in Portmarnock, no idea the degree of noise pollution but based on the name alone, I doubt it's something locals would complain about.

This article was obviously raised due to the degree of interference, and there's actually a video segment with a resident where the plane flies over head, and she literally cannot be heard, it's that extreme;

Tolerating that from 6 am to 11 pm every day..........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

a lot of these poor souls live in the most exclusive neighborhoods (expensive) in Ireland. Where do you think they'll want to be rehoused?

Newstalk click/engagement baiting.... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Post edited by lawred2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I live in the area... it's rarely anywhere near as bad as painted out by some people to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know people who grew up under the airport flight paths and I know people who moved close to the airport. The people who grew up never noticed the aircraft flying over, any visitors would be constantly looking up. The people who moved close to the airport didn't notice after a few days, again any visitors would notice the noise.

These people are trying to scam the airport for more money and a click bait journalist needs a story. The same aircraft have been flying over other people's homes for years with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So if you hear a plane overhead, you should be allowed to be rehoused? That sounds deadly, and a very workable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I really have to question where exactly that video was filmed because I doubt it's the village mentioned in the article, Kilsallaghan which looks to be about 5km at least from the end of the runway. From how low those planes are in the video I'd say it was probably filmed near St. Margarets GAA Club which is less than a kilometer from the end of the north runway. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How.do you mean 'based on the name alone'?

flights have always gone over portmarnock, and no they don't complain, why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lived under a flightpath near Shannon and yeah you can hear it but as you say you tune it out, only really noticed again for a while after 9/11.

At best IMHO sounds like a light sleeper with their window open in the summer just being a crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The IAA updates the flight paths, not the airport. The most recent change has moved them closer to what was in the original noise profiling, e.g. the places that were always going to be hit with noise.

Many of those complaining knew they were going to be under flight paths, or just ignored everything about it. The north runway has been planned for about SIXTY YEARS, so the number of people legitimately unaware of it before they moved there is miniscule.

• Advertisement

• LOUD NOISES…

if you don’t like the noise, move. What else should we move people for? Annoying neighbours?

I lived next to a field before and the smell of shite when they’d spread the slurry was violent. Maybe I should seek compensation and a new gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New runway was planned for 60 years. The land was bought for it 60 years a go. Every single person living near the airport or under the new flight paths knew full well what was planned and many bought houses in the near environs knowing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

shoulda been out there testing cotton swabs off your roof tiles for bovine fecal matter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I live next to a field which my father used to call the matrenity ward. Any cow that was due to go into labour is put into it, and they can moo all night before they give birth.

Which TD do I write to to get compensation and a new gaff?

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You are bang on the money.

The lady in the video has been in the media numerous times in the past year. She is a resident of St Margarets, not Kilsallaghan. St Margarets is literally right at the end of the runways.

Moving to St Margarets and claiming surprise at the noise from an airport? I'm not buying it. North runway or no north runway, you're going to hear planes.

I am curious if her research before buying her house involved looking at a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

Why do the media entertain these types of people in this country. As kermit says, the runway has been planned for 60 years, anyone who bought at house with 10km should have done their homework. No sympathy what so ever.

This all kicked off at the start of this month.

Obviously some changes came into effect that are effecting residencies where they formerly had not.

What about that is challenging to understand?

facepalm

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvE4vVOteGw/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d4b9a93b-806f-4d86-a485-10ceaf886fe1

The video clearly outlines they did their research.

They were not meant to be under a flight path, but that changed without notice.

Listen to the noise in that video and tell me you'd get "accustomed".

Denialism is real.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭timetogo1

When I was growing up in Swords near the golf club the windows used to rattle occasionally for some flights (this was 45 years ago).

We didn't know we could get compo :)

On the plus side I sleep like a rock.

• Advertisement

You do understand the difference between "hearing planes" and "being deafened by planes".

What is it with the victim blaming in this thread?

"Move".

lolwut?

Yeah it's just that simple, move from a rented premises.

Never mind a purchased premises.

It's not like they're in mobile homes and can just "move" to the next halting site.

And Irelands policy of addressing noisy neighbours also is nothing short of deplorable and DESTROY's home lives for decent folk.

This thread feels like we've been transported back to the "God fearing" early 1900's and basic cognitive function and environmental awareness is condemned as being witch craft.

From comments:

DAA got planning permission for North runway based on westward takeoffs going straight out until altitude of 3.000 ft. However aircraft turning north west at 650ft.

Terrible. They should be forced to stick to the planned and agreed flight paths.

This country needs to enforce rules. I’m sure they would enforce if all the neighbours decided to get drones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

Facepalm back at you! if you live near the airport, especially to the east or west of runways you're going to get over flights and noise, deal with it or jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's an International Airport. Tough ****.

It could become a major connection hub yet aswell. Will only get busier. Margarets could even be CPO'd some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What about climate change?

The government tell us it’s an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

You are right. It is an emergency but if they closed the airport the same people would object to planning permission for housing on the basis that it was designated as an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭TokTik

Tough. Live near an airport, your gonna hear airplanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

There was a group of families who were moved, during construction of the new runway. They were rehoused and well compensated.

Advertisement