Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing property through neighbours garden

Options
  • 19-07-2023 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I hope this is the right forum but I have a quick question and need some advice. The house next to my Mother's house has no entrance to the back except through their front door. My Mother who is directly next door is one of the only properties on the road with a side entrance which means that everytime the Neighbour who we will call Mary needs anything done e.g. hedge cutting, fence mending, painting, etc at the back of her house the workmen call to my Mother's house for entry through her gate and garden. Mary would never ask my Mother in advance if this was okay and as it is a rental property she is very rarely ever there but when she would come down she wouldn't even knock on my Mother's door to thank her for allowing entry through her property which I thought would be nice of her to do so. Last summer repeatedly workmen for different reasons were calling to my Mother and using her garden carrying various objects ladders etc. I made it my business to see Mary when she was at the house and told her I didn't want men calling to my elderly Mother's house and if she had anything that needed to be done to contact me in advance and I would ensure I was there to let them in. I told her that my Mother kindly never turned anyone away but I was uneasy about strange men about the house. She told me that in future she would ensure I was contacted and apologised. Today a workman turned up at my Mother's house once again, no advance word and told my Mother he had been asked to come down to repair the roof. My Mother let him in and he and his workmates crossed my Mother's property to do the work. I am annoyed at Mary once again for assuming that this was acceptable but what I am really concerned about is, if something happens to one of these men in my Mother's garden is her house insurance liable? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

It's your mothers house - she needs to say no. Unfortunately you need to take it up with her, not her neighbour. These people are asking and she is saying yes. If she agrees you could lock the gate and take the key so she has a reason to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wavyhair

I've explained to my Mam that we need to be straight down the line and just say no. The problem is my Mother knows a few of the men who call to the house because they have been using her garden and she is very much of the old country thinking of neighbours helping each other out. She doesn't like the thoughts of locking the gate but she knows it is the right thing to do so from this evening that's what happened. Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nothing like a bit of neighbourly good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

You mean like asking your neighbour if it’s ok for tradesmen to parade through their property in advance 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

Is it Mary or her landlord thats organising all these workmen - it sounds like work that the landlord would be responsible for. Can you contact the landlord and explain that they need to sort out the access issue themselves but if they really need access through your mothers garden then it wil have to be discussed with you first.

Mary is the recent owner of the house and the one who rents it out for short stays. I had asked her last year to just drop me a text in advance of workmen calling to the house so I could meet them. I'm not mad about the thoughts of my Mam's garden being used as a walk through in case anything would happen but my Mam grew up in a time where neighbours helped each other out especially in the small village she lives in and she hates making things difficult for these men who are only there to do a job. I understand that but I don't want people just calling to her door either so we were willing to allow her garden to be used once Mary let me know in advance, she is very aware that there are two ways to the back of her house either through my Mam's garden or through her own front door. She has never been at the house to meet these men at any stage which means they always end up knocking on my Mam's door and using her garden. It's one thing your neighbour repeatedly using you as a means to get access to her house but then if there is an incident on my Mam's property we don't want that hassle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

So it's a terraced house and they use neighbours house instead of going through the house they are working in, is that correct?

I'd be saying no, go through the house

That's right, they are locked both sides with houses and my Mam's is the only one with a side entrance. Obviously the workmen are requested to go and do the work and when they turn up they have no way to the back of the house except to go to Mam's and ask for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

This. Why won't they go through the front door of the house there working on? Is it because of there mucky shoes😃

• Advertisement

Maybe 😄 the owner never arranges for work to be done when there are people in the house, only when its empty and she never arranges for anyone to meet them and let them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

But they do have a way to the back of the house...does Mary have a front door and a back door?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Next time they're down get your mother to let you know, pop down and when they want to exit back through your mothers garden just say no you're trespassing, go through the house you're working on. Maybe Mary will get some cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

likely Mary is now looking into 'rights of way' and the likes - could be another issue there

if your parent has a lockable gate , then just get a lock.

problem solved then

:)

She does but they are locked and the house is empty so no way to the back.

That's a good idea, I don't want to make hassle for the men involved they are only doing their job but I have spoken politely to her and she's ignored me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It's very simple. Put a lock on the side gate and next time there is a knock don't answer.

What would these people do if there was nobody home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Well then Mary needs to arrange to be there when they arrive.

It is nice to be neighbourly but Mary is taking advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

How do they get from your Mum's garden through to the neighbouring house? Surely not hopping ladders over walls and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'd look to the deeds. There could be an easement allowing access for works etc. Worth knowing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The only person with a problem is you. Stopping Mary's workers from accessing your Mother's back garden won't protect her from non genuine callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lock the gate. Keep the key.

People access Terraced houses through the front door.

They aren't using the side gate because it's the only access. They are using it because the home owner doesn't have to be there if you give them access.

Why is so frequent is a bit baffling.

True it won't, but my Mother is in her late eighties and I think she deserves to have her wishes respected. She has never once refused access to her garden and I have in turn asked Mary to let us know when she has workers calling so my Mother will know there will be a stranger calling to her door and we can ensure they have access to the back of the neighbour's house. In response to DoctorEdgeWild's question ladders, strimmers, lawn mowers, tins of paint etc have been thrown over my Mother's wall over the last number of months so these men can get their work done. If I refused them point blank entry to our garden then yes I think I would look like someone with a problem but we are more than reasonable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Yeah, sounds to me like you've been pretty accommodating so far and have been fair. Seems like an odd set-up for your neighbour and shouldn't be your Mum's problem to deal with (unless it was once a year or something normal like that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Mary won't let you know because she doesn't have to. They always have access through the garden.

It's not going to stop unless you're awkward about it. So you have to decide is it worth it, and risk a falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It sounds more like your wises than your mother's that people don't use her garden. She had never refused, you are the person hassling her neighbour. The neighbour is ignoring the interfering child.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

The neighbour is totally taking the p***. The least she could do is be there to meet people who are working on her house and allow them access through her own house. It's not your mother's responsibility how the workers on another house gain access.

Lock the gate. It'll only take a few times when workers can't get in for 'Mary' to cop on.

It is hard to understand why this access seems to be needed so frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Given the picture the op has painted about that gate being the only access to the rare of properties other than through the front door, there has probably been a long-standing understanding/agreement between neighbours about use of the gate,

Op, just be careful about how you perceive this situation, and how it plays out. It appears that you are the one irked about this rather than your mum. Disputes between neighbours are known to have unintended consequences, particularly if they are adjoining houses. There is no doubt that the neighbour should have the courtesy/manners to ask, but we are talking here about the occasional access by tradesmen. You, or rather your mum, may have a right to lock the gate, but the possibility is there for that to cause a festering problem with a neighbour, something your mum may not want, and something that might well have consequences for any future undertakings in the house like sale, rental, planning etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Does your mother even have an issue with the workmen? You haven't said so.

Advertisement