Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was arrested for shop lifting

Options
  • 19-07-2023 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

apologies, probably not the right forum. I am in my mid 50s and have never, ever come to Garda attention before. I have been under a huge amount of pressure and extremely menopausal (no excuse, I know). I went to my local supermarket, where I have been going for 30 odd years. Big chain. Will not name. I spent approx. €60 on small groceries. When I left. Security guard came after me and told me to "come with me". I had no idea what was going on. He said I had goods in my trolley I had not paid for and he said he has been watching me for months and knows I shop lift !. I was in total shock. I was brought into the office and under my bags were items, quite a lot which were under the huge shopping bags. One of these items was an headset which I was buying for a gift. I had the shopping bags over these items. I was absolutely morfified but security called Gardai. I asked Security guard what he meant by me shoplifting in the past and he said "he knows I have been" (I know absolutely, I have not but now paranoid) yes, I know all "guilty people" say the same. ! Two Gardai arrived and they arrested me. I was in total shock. I was brought to local station for processing. I kept asking the Gardai what would happen and he said he did not know but I could call a solicitor. I then met the Sergeant for processing. He said I would be issued with what is called an "Adult Caution". I was let home after 3 hours and was told to await a call from the Inspector and I would then speak to him. Lads, I am numb with shock....honestly, in my 50 odd years, I have never, ever been in trouble.....where do I go from here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go and see your GP.

Try and have someone with you when you go shopping.

Be very aware of what you are doing when you are putting things into your trolley and putting them through the checkout, make sure there is nothing under or hidden by your bags.

You seem to have been given a second chance, take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

These thing happen OP.

Talk to your Solicitor about the legal side of it but it sounds fine.

I wouldn't go to that shop again or others in the chain for now.

Talk to your GP.

Your not a master Criminal.

Don't let it knock yourself go out and enjoy life.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DamianLong1234

Did you leave the store without paying for some of the items?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Legal Discussion where it is more suited.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thank you everyone. Have tried to see my GP but a huge waiting list (no surprise there). Looksee, I am always so thorough as lately, I have been very distracted (perhaps worryingly so), therefore I double check. I was in a mad rush to get back to work yesterday so I just didn't check at all. The Security Guard said he "knows I am a shoplifter"....that is really upsetting me as I am now imagining all sorts.....does he have footage of my going back months where I might have left without paying in an absolute haze??? Which I cannot imagine doing so but am all over the place now.

Damienlong. Yes, I had just stepped outside the store

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You got an adult caution so no more will really come of it. Just be mindful going forward when in shops that sometimes things can move around in the trolley and become obscured from view. Security guard might have just said that he seen you previously just to scare you so I wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks kimbot. I am worried about my job. I work in Legal and Compliance (the irony). What if they find out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well you got a caution not a prosecution so I think youll be okay with them too :) its an honest mistake that can happen anyone, you have owed up to it so its not like you are a serial offender :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I wouldn't worry. You received an adult caution. That's the end of it. Nobody will find out in any official way.

Not speaking about you. But, in general, shoplifting can occur with some people for reasons other than financial difficulty. The behaviour can be a substitute for other problems and can be a means to fill a void. In those cases a GP would be able to assist.

• Advertisement

Thanks kimbot. I may be watching too many true crime documentaries !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Happened to me OP. I was shopping with the kids, I put a bottle of wine and a couple things into the bottom of my buggy as I always do. I had other stuff in my hand, went to checkout paid for the stuff in my hand forgetting the bits in the buggy. The went easy on me as I had kids with me, Guards were called, said it happens alot don't worry about it, you will be officially cautioned and need to present to the station later.

It was more humiliating than anything and the store manager calling me a "thief" was the worst part.

Yes it's the humiliation rob316. When you presented to the station later, what was that about? When I left Garda station last night, they told me Inspector would call me in a few days and I would then go in and see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

I would try to put it behind me. A lot of people are stopped with items they haven't paid for. How are the security staff to know who is guilty or just forgetful? Shops lose a lot of money because of shoplifting.It's probably store policy to give people a good fright even though they are not going to prosecute. You know it was an accident and that's what counts. I bet quite a few shoppers have experienced an incident like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The back of my dad's hands were written reminders and lists.

Now, at that age I am doing the same. Sometimes I have a small panic attack feeling that I have forgotten something critical or to pay for something.

Last week, for first time, I left the lid and cover off after a car fill.

Make small rules. In this case only one, write it on your hand if necessary, never pass the till unless the trolley completely empty.

Don't be upset. They had to follow the rules and you got lightest end of the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Put nothing in the basket or trolly except shopping. Just bring your money or card and then you won’t be distracted by bags. Leave the big handbag at home. Hang your reusable shopping bags from the hook in the trolly or hold in your hand if using basket.

Avoid that shop as you will be nervous and distracted there.

It must have been very upsetting but you must put it behind you and learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

One other thing, when the security guy said come with me they don't have any power to detain you. Up to you to decide if you want to continue walking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That is not correct.

Section 4 Criminal Law act 1997

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you work in legal and compliance, I expect you know the career limiting consequences of even a caution if it becomes known and that staff in legal and compliance are looked at more closely.... You have had a very close call, so get medical advice, be careful when you go shopping etc... and honestly, if you find a good career move within your employer's organisation, give it consideration.

Thank you everyone. Jim2007. I asked the Sergeant about this and he said that there will be no record of this. If I ever changed jobs etc....it would never come up. Only if I was charged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

Good lord, OP, that is the stuff of nightmares. At the risk of having rotten eggs thrown at me, I'm going to quote Mr Tubridy..... Be Kind (to yourself). As suggested by others, I'd give that particular shop a swerve for the foreseeable and more than likely, you have been given such a fright, that is one 'senior moment' you won't be repeating ever again. Mind yourself. BC

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭redunited

True, but should that arrest be wrong, then you can be charged with false arrest and imprisonment, not to mention damages against a person's good name and standing should that arrest be wrong.

It's also hardly ever used because of these reasons, what will the person attempting to arrest do next, physically assault them to force that arrest?

That is why you are asked to go with a security guard, not that you are under arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's the oldest trick in the book. I never knew that item was there....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

It might be worth trying to do shopping online and having it delivered for the time being to give you space from shops to get evaluated by your GP. Many of the major shops do home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭baldbear

Jaysus. Why didn't they just say pay for the items and that's it. Bang out of order.

I'm sure we are all aware of what can happen as a result of false arrests.

It is used every day. Just because they don't say the words, that is what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The claim that you were a shoplifter would annoy going forward, if it was me.

Maybe one of the legals here would know if you are entitled to ask for any data held on you by the store?

This. No security guard will detain you unless they are 100% sure and only if there seems to be a danger to property or person. Otherwise they know to let the person go if they continue on their way.

And that is disingenuous as all persons can make an arrest, however it almost never happens as if in anyway wrong or if the detained person is assaulted there will be big repercussions. Nobody especially security guards that are trained will detain anyone unless 100% sure or there is danger to another person (ie an assault is taking place)

• Advertisement

Obviously they have to be 100% sure, it states that in the legislation. In this case the security guard was 100% sure and correct and had every right to stop the OP.

Advertisement