Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination Notice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Yup, email threshold. They're the best crew to tell you how to screw a landlord, and overhold. No wonder landlords are selling up and running with the fight with all your might regardless of circumstances mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I am sorry for the situation you are in, but I don't understand why you have high expectations from a stranger which is your landlord but you feel you can't move back in your mom's house when in fact you are her carer. The best way you can care for your mom is by living with her full stop no ifs no buts. You must manage your son whatever it is. A stranger owes you nothing.

In actual fact because of more people like @[Deleted User] there will be absolutely no accommodation for you to ever rent in future unless the state builds social housing. It makes no viable sense for a stranger like your landlord to buy and rent a house, unless they are nuts.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

out of curiosity, could you explain to me how, or why?

I read your previous advice, its wrong, it will not serve them well, if they are issued a 'termination notice', it's deemed a termination notice, if its filed wrongly, the tenant needs to so something about it in the 90 days, otherwise the tenant loses the right to claim it on a technicality.

Do you think a landlord that has to sell their property for financial reasons would be doing it if it were financially viable to keep the property?

Perhaps they were paying rent in another property and subsidising it with the rent from this house, then maybe their landlord raised the rent and they didnt or couldn't raise the rent in the op property. Maybe they lost their job and could not claim HAP, as they own a house, unlike the op who can claim social welfare assistance. Perhaps the landlord has a sick relative and could not claim expenses from the government like welfare or medical card, which the op more than likely has.

You are clearly suggesting to stick it to the landlord as much as possible, without knowing anything about them other than what we are told currently, that they need to sell their house as they cannot service the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Maybe I missed it, has the op indicated on what grounds the notice is being disputed to the RTB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The grounds that in the op view the landlord put the rent in her pocket instead of paying the mortgage... This is it. How dare the landlord a stranger to the OP do her own financial affairs how she sees fit.... She should instead pay mortgage to provide roofs for others.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 41 just_a_gurl

This post has to be a wind up..right???

you do realise op that up 52% of rental income goes to revenue (I'm assuming here the LL has a day job & other income & is taxed at 40% +PRSI & USC charges), so in order for your LL to "pay the mortgage" with your rent she would need to be charging you almost 1.5 times the monthly mortgage (less annual interest charged if applicable) to cover the full repayment every month...

Have you also forgotten that interest rates have increased substantially in the last year & even though the interest can be claimed back as an expense in certain cases, your LL would still have to stump up the monthly fee & reclaim after the close of the tax year...

As others have said, the LL's personal circumstances are unknown to you...she could indeed be after falling on hard times herself. Either way, she owns the house & she has the right to sell it in line with the provisions in the RTA. If she has not followed the guidelines for the termination, then fine, involve the RTB but if you are just doing it to chance your arm & hope you get to stay a little longer, well I think your time would be better served trying to secure alternative accommodation for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They can only offset the interest against their tax.

So best case scenario at least half of the interest on the loan comes out of the landlords pocket.

Advertisement