Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination Notice

Options
  • 18-07-2023 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Got termination notice after ten years living in rented accommodation. Landlady defaulted on mortgage payments so has to sell. Maybe if she didn't put my rent into her own pocket and payed her fecking mortgage in the first place I wouldn't be in this ****! Should I fight this to keep a roof over me head?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What will you fight though?

If your landlady has given you a correct notice of termination because she is selling the house, I'm not sure what you could fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ask what she's selling it for and make an offer if you can

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cfingers

Who is selling it? The landlord or a receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

You should have about 8 months notice.

Check the notice and see if it adheres to the fairly strict formula she has to use.

If not, wait a couple of months (or longer) appeal it to rtb and the clock starts again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 twiggy55

Mmmm...She rented the place out to me back in the day to pay her mortgage essentially a free ride. She defaults on her mortgage so has to sell and Im furnished with a termination notice? In todays climate and with a housing crisis going on surely I should fight?

• Advertisement

I don't see what grounds you have to fight on if that's the argument.

If she has given you a correct notice of termination, it's really none of your business why she is selling the house.

Any chance she would sell to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

Who are you going to fight? Is the landlady selling the house or has it been repossessed?

It's not a nice position to be in but I don't see that you have a real argument to be allowed to stay in the house. You paid your rent as agreed, it's not your fault the landlady wasn't using it to pay her mortgage, but it's not up to you how she manages her money. She is entitled to sell the property whether she has been paying the mortgage or not.

After ten years the prospect of moving must be pretty daunting. Make sure you get the correct notice, use the time to find another place. There's nothing stopping you from exploring options but I suspect that if you put your energies into fighting to stay, you'll lose.

Its appealed to RTB and appeal coming up but anything like this hanging over anyone's head...I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Am I wrong to think that if she just paid her mortgage then I wouldn't be in the situation of facing being homeless?

• Advertisement

Doesn't really matter. She could sell even if she paid her mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mct1

Selling is a legitimate reason for termination of rental. But notice has to be given correctly or it can be disputed. See the good advice on post #5.

I'm not a landlord, never have been, but the fact is your landlady is not a charity and has every right to put your rent "in her pocket". And I can't see how using rental money to pay the mortgage can be called "a free ride". It's tough on you that she can't afford to keep the place. I'd start looking for alternative accommodation straight away, but check out if that termination notice is valid. The are several agencie/charities that can advise you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What she did with the rental income has nothing to do with you or the termination notice. Although its completely irrelevant, You seem to think your rent was paying the mortgage. Why didn't you pay your own mortgage instead of hers, then?

Things go belly up for people, including landlords, and you've no idea what other financial pressures she may have had. Your only case may be on the about if notice given. If the property is being sold then its being sold. It does matter if that sale is by the owner, a receiver, or the bank.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Good news is you have a huge chunk of time as correct notice is over half a year. Are you in a position to buy? The fact that you are a sitting tenant means they will lose value trying to show the house now so you are in a good position if you can afford to buy.

As for getting angry with her and "fighting it", there is nothing to fight, don't lose sleep over it. She could have been blowing it on coke and hookers, but it doesn't give you any more rights, it was her money.

Focus on solutions for you, you have paid rent for 10 years, if renting is the way you have to go, then she should at least give you a stellar reference. Until then, stay in there until your notice is up.

I don't seem to (think) that my rent was paying her mortgage...she rented the place out to me to specifically pay her mortgage. If it was that easy to get a mortgage then I would get one tomorrow😂

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

That’s rough on you OP. Hope it all works out OK for you. BC

Thank you...my anger was building over all of this as there are other issues at play. I was a full time career to my elderly parents or was as my father died in January so just my elderly mother now. Im just 3 doors away from my mother and if Im to move Im so worried about what will happen to her? I do understand my situation as a whole re even landlady but when it comes to the dynamics of a housing situation and how it affects other people surely there should be some recourse? I don't know? Im getting sick with worry as there is no where to rent local...Ive already resigned myself to sleeping in my car outside my mothers house just so I continue caring for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What did you want? That she rent to you as a hobby or some philanthropic exercise? As I said, it's irrelevant. Her property, her rental income, her right to use that income as she chooses. You need to direct your energy towards finding a new home rather than beating your head off a brick wall about something you can't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m struggling to see why you are so hung up on what she used the rental income for. Even if she didn’t have a mortgage, or used the rent to pay her mortgage, sale of a property is one of the reasons by which a LL is legally entitled to terminate the tenancy. It’s unfortunate for you, and if the notice is invalid of course you should dispute it, but being pissed off because the property is being sold is not a valid reason to fight a legal notice of termination.

On what grounds are you disputing the termination, is it invalid for one of the reasons outlined in the RTA?

Completely agree with you Jim...her property, her rental income and her right to use that income as she chooses.

• Advertisement

After my father died in January my careers allowance halved so had to claim HAP to keep me going until I get on an even keel again. Then came my termination notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Could you move in with your mother if need be? Not an ideal situation, I'm sure, but better than sleeping in your car, surely...

Not possible as my son lives at my parents house with his own disabilities which he can manage without my care...so far...but his health is beginning to deteriorate at rocket speed now he knows the score! Its all fecking up our family dynamics on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

It's none of your business if the landlord decides to squander the rental of her property, to invest in other properties or to flush the money down the toilet, or maybe she just wants to sell up. Once proper notice is given, she can do what she wants. It's not up to landlords to house you if they want out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I knew a few people who sold in the last few years because rent minus tax and expenses wouldnt cover the mortgage. Only sensible thing was to sell and clear the mortgage. Otherwise they wouldnt be able to pay it. One of them felt very guilty that they had to give their tenant notice but they were asked was it a hobby they were at. There are even so many people making a profit now who have to sell because rentals are no longer viable when weighed against the risk and expenses and the very real possibility that a tenant will not want to move out when given notice.

You would want a heart of gold and balls of steel to remain a landlord these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

If you're on HAP, your local authority might consider buying the house and leave you in it. Mention this to your landlord, they might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It is your responsibility to house yourself, not the property owner's. You've got a termination notice, instead of fixating on the property owner's finances (which are none of your business) you need to focus on securing alternative accommodation. Nothing to fight.

10 years so thats 224 days of notice.

Be sure she attached a statutory declaration to the notice if she INTENDS to sell.

If there is no SD the termination is null and void.

A SD must be signed by a solicitor. If there is no SD don't tell her.

Keep your gun powder dry until the 200th day and then raise the issue.

Now a new TN must served and you get another 224 days.

email threshold.ie ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The op would be screwed if he/she waited 200 days to dispute the notice.

“Since 6 July 2022, if a tenant has an issue with the validity of the Notice of Termination they have received, a tenant now has 90-days (from the receipt of the notice) to apply for Dispute Resolution with the RTB. This was increased from 28-days. “

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notices-of-termination

• Advertisement

85 days it is then but thats only if the NoT is valid with a standard declaration with an intention to sell.

If it s not valid its not a NoT. Do you see?

If a vaild NoT was served its 90 days.

If its invalid it is not a NoT. Its a piece of paper.

email Threshold is something I'd do immediately.

Advertisement