Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did weight training become popular in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-07-2023 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was just wondering when did weight training gain popularity in Ireland. Is it over the past twenty or thirty years with the of proliferation of gyms around the country and dumbells/weight sets available in sport shops etc. I get the impression that it is a relatively recent phenomenon with very few gyms pre-90s.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In the late 1990s I think I only encountered organised weight training among people coming from rugby schools or abroad. There probably was a bit of a holdover of the 80s bodybuilding fad, there were people with Argos weights sets in their houses, and the odd guy in your area who was known to be into it, but generally lifting in an educated way, or with access to decent equipment, was uncommon. There must have been exceptions, like the Hercules Club, but at this time if you went into a commercial gym a platform, rack and olympic barbell would have been rare.

Then I think in the mid to late 00s there was a rise in general interest in weight training, beginning to build among active people. Around this time CrossFit was a trend, and if you look back on boards.ie for the era, there were a lot of workshops and introductory classes being organised and attended by boardsies.

The wider, general population followed this trend, but I feel like it's still only in maybe the last 15 years where the general population can really be said to have gotten into lifting, in a semi-coherent way. This is partly reflected in how gym design has changed - few gyms now would open without a bay of squat racks and platforms.

The degree to which lifting has become part of youth culture, among boys at least, is really interesting, it's universal among all classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Social Media also has a lot to do with it. Peer pressure to look good amongst young people. The gym is the new pub. All these wannabe instagrammers etc. Watching too much of that Love Island muck on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Surprisingly The Jersey shore tv program was won of the key influences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The carry on of taking your photo in front of the mirror and sticking it online would make you cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

It's not just teens and twentysomethings who do the photo in front of the mirror pose either - people in their 40's, 50's and even 60's do it too!

Mocking is catching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Overall, the cultural shift towards kids being really into gym attendance, and lifting in particular, is a really positive thing, though.

I get the joking about the gym selfies, but overall, there's little downside to this.

It's fair to say there is increased 'social pressure' on young people, although I'd argue that has more to do with the broader phenomenon of 24/7 social media than gym culture by itself. For perspective, it's still only a vanishingly small minority who actually have body dysphoria related to their training. I'm also mindful that, if anything, we're still not doing enough to tackle rising obesity rates. Frankly there's a section of Irish society we should be trying to entice into becoming more active, and lifting is part of that.

The other population segment who are gradually getting their heads around lifting, and it's really important, are those in the older age bracket. Hugely beneficial if people can build and maintain muscle mass into their old age. Their quality of life is exponentially better, and the pursuits of decades past (brisk walking, golf, going to the pub) just don't serve that goal. Particularly important for females, with a view to addressing bone denisty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I have noticed a lot of the younger guys I work with are interested in the "aesthetics" of it. They seem to have no interest in cardio training at all, only an interest in developing muscles. I regard it as "conspicuous fitness", although I am not sure if you can be regarded as "fit" if you can't run for the bus. Weight lifting was definitely a thing in the 90's as I did a fair bit of it as a teenager myself and it was not particularly unusual among my group of friends. I think nowadays it is more driven by social media rather than a desire to be healthy as such, it is about appearance.

Happily, "just" lifting leads to improvements in health markers across the board- including heart health. Even if the motivation is vanity, it doesn't really matter.

Well, it is better than nothing of course. But it would be better if there was more of a focus on health IMO, including mental health. Any sort of training should have the side effect of improving the way you look, but it shouldn't be the main focus. I think you just have to look at the popularity of various PEDs with people who are not involved with professional sport to see that it isn't entirely harmless. A lot of this is driven by social media influencers with totally unrealistic body types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Having a defined strong physique gives an aura of masculinity amongst young male. It's pure vanity to try and attract the opposite sex. Same goes for female. There's huge pressure to look fit and healthy. A lot of those magazine pictures etc. which show the perfect body are photoshopped and largely unattainable. It's causing huge mental problems aswell. I feel sorry for teenagers these days with the amount of peer pressure. Also it was mentioned that the focus on weights and building muscles hinders cardio fitness. People are obviously much better of with a mix of both.

It's not just better than nothing, resistance training is probably one of the single most beneficial activities a person of any age can take up. The health benefits are well documented- improvements in bone density, muscle mass, weight control, mood, and overall cognitive benefits.

PED usage remains a tiny minority among people who lift, not sure what else to say about that. PED use ultimately rarely even leads to the death of the user, or harm to another. I have never used them but in terms of context they're something of a tabloid boogeyman irrelevant to the issue at hand.

But I'd be interested to know what you consider training for "health"? More of a cardio focus, maybe. What do you think the benefits are? How much resistance training do you think is healthy?

The idea of what is "too much weights" needs a bit of quantifying.

If someone "only" lifts 3 days week consistently, and did no other training, I'd say the evidence suggests their heart health, weight and overall health is likely to be very good based off that.

It would be more beneficial, in fact, than if they, for example, did only steady-state cardio three times a week consistently.

But it's a moot point as the hypothetical person doing "too many weights" probably is already incorporating some element of conditioning or cardio if their goals are aligned- if they want to play sport, want to have field fitness, want to burn exta calories or maybe just like the feeling of cardio.

I also find it surprising people are negative about people lifting to be more attractive to the opposite sex. Why would that be a concern, or anyone else's business? What are the actual serious harms arising?

If nothing else, people in their teens, 20s and 30s just don't need to consciously have the same health orientated motivation as older populations. They're entitled to just want to push themselves, look good and enjoy their training.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Well training for health, from my point of view, would be focusing on cardio as well as some form of strength training (which could be weights, but might also be something like calisthenics). When I was young, in my teens, I did a fair bit of weights. When I was in my 20's I was training Muay Thai a lot, as well as running and some weights. Now in my 40's it is running as well as body weight type exercises like chin ups, push ups, core work etc, with a small amount of weights.

I watch some of the fitness youtubers, like Derrick on "More plates more dates", fairly bemused by what people are doing and considering "healthy". It seems to be a bit of a problem, particularly the types of physiques that people see fitness influencers having that are supposedly "Natty".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

It can't be overstated what an impact CrossFit had on bringing lifting into the mainstream in Ireland. It was the first type of barbell training I was exposed to.

As for the concerns about 'de yooth' lifting for the wrong reasons: I would very much side with Black Sheep on this being a case of missing the forest for the trees.

While I definitely acknowledge that we've all see kids in the gym who seem to be wrapped up in PEDs, body dysmorphia etc - we have to remember that they are actually a small % of the teen population. This issue pales in comparison to the obesity epidemic and the fact that the average teen does less physical activity than ever. I worked in a school for a few years, and the PE department had seen a staggering drop in general physical preparedness with each generation. I trained many 12 year olds who couldn't do a bodyweight squat. These people are going to absolutely devastate the health system when they're adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 micke

Interesting answers to the question, there is a much greater emphasis on personal image over the past 25 years or so. People were a lot more physically active and leaner prior to the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I only found out today that you can gauge the entirety of someone's motivation for training just by looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I would imagine he’s referring tongue in cheek to the negative assumptions about teenagers in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

personally, I would have loved to have had the available resources that I discovered in my mid 30's (crossfit) available when I was in my mid teens in 90's ireland. I wasnt into team sports, or indeed solo sports, I was more interested in videogames and drinking (which, I still am but life and family developments has naturally pared this back).

I joined CF 7 years ago as I was obese, and with the assistance of a great trainer, I discovered that olympic lifting in a group setting was an amazing experience, and you constantly gave that extra 10% when you were in a supportive environment.

fast forward to now, and while I dont do CF anymore since covid, I setup my own home gym, and tend to do weights more to maintain fitness for activities I like doing (mountain biking) ,and to try and make sure I'm able to be the dad my kids deserve rather than to lose weight.

I personally think its amazing to see so many of the younger generation investing in their fitness, and I certainly dont miss the days of groups of teens hanging around town smoking (although I wouldnt mind seeing vaping vanish in the same fashion, but thats a discussion for another day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

my bad - I read the post in isolation. All makes sense now after reading the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some are motivated by building muscle, others by improving cardio, other by improving skills. Neither superior or inferior to the other. as much as somebody lacks an element of fitness if they can't run for the bus, so too does the person who can't carry the shopping in from the car.

And "aesthetics" is neither new or isolated to young guys. Aesthetics has always been a driver for the majority of people taking up some sort of fitness routine or healthy eating plan. That should be really apparent. If anything, it's was/is a bigger factor for women compared to men. To the extent that it for a long time took priority to he detriment of health.

Why shouldn't appearance be the main focus? As above, that's been the main driver since fitness was popularised for the general population. If you focus is appearance, you'll improve health too (and vice versa). Personally I find training has significant mental health benefits.

I'm not sure exactly which PEDs you are referring to. There's a range of use cases right? But I don't think that are required or the norm.

Whatever the motivation for weight training, who cares? People going to the gym and trying to get themselves in better shape is a good thing.

And lets not kid ourselves that there isn't even a scintilla of wanting to look better in why we go.

It just seems a little off to be finding fault with why people go to the gym when people not going to the gym or engaging in any form of physical exertion is a much bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I guarantee every person fault finding with “young people’s” gym culture engages in the exact same in their [sport of choice].

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Varvitski

I began weightlifting back in the 60s. My brother and I went to the Apollo club in Dublin, located behind the Swan pub. It's long gone. The gym was all power lifting, and the few others existing back then were more geared to olympic lifting. There were no frills. No music. No carpets. Just raw endeavour in woolie tracksuits, old fashioned leotards, belts and jocks. The barbells were bent with clanging weights. The little open fire didn't help your hands from freezing on the first grasp on the cold steel in the winter months. I wouldn’t change it for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Any trend towards people wanting to look conspicuously fit is a good thing. Yes yes, we'd all prefer people focused on cardio and nutrition etc, but it's a welcome trend overall. I'm not a fan of lifting or lifting-culture (whatever that is) but lifting weights is generally (and objectively) good for the human body in a variety of ways. Nothing wrong with a bit of peer pressure and copycat behaviour sometimes.

Yeah, I don't believe anyone who claims to not care about the aesthetic benefits of training. It's holier than thou BS.

So you don't upload photos of yourself with your top off? Bravo. I'd still bet my left leg that you check yourself out in the mirror plenty when you know nobody is watching. The only difference is the kid taking a photo of himself has the confidence to not care what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Honestly, I'd say the influx of foreign workers, especially from central and eastern Europe, in the late 90s/early 00s probably popularised it in the Irish psyche. Lads who would have considered themselves big hard-men suddenly felt quite small compared to the new kids on the block. I know I first went to the gym in the early 2000s and I'd say half the clientele were Polish. Not the same anymore. Nothing to do with social media at the time as we weren't really on those but entirely to do with getting stronger and looking better. Nowadays most of my friend group would be doing some kind of gym work, even if it's Pilates or bouldering rather than lifting. The health benefits (physical and mental) are well known at this stage and for sure it's great for your overall confidence. Keep the trend going I say. Surely there's a net positive for society via gym based peer pressure over drink/drug based peer pressure even if a few people get caught up in the pursuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

My first "weight training" began at home in the early 90s as a spotty teen inspired by Stallone, Arnie and van dam!

We used to have the York cement filled sets from argos!

It was totally Bodybuilding related motivation!

The first Gyms I remember in Limerick were powerlifiting and Bodybuilding mostly occupied by Limericks bouncers!

Advertisement