Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Did they show naked attraction?

You dirty old man!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

It might be something like the All4 player where you can't watch live but may be able to view it later on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They DO show Naked Attraction, which I've watched, purely for research purposes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just saw that Top Gun 2 was on C4 - started an hour ago. Fab says I since MOTD isn’t on. Saw the “Watch from Start” button was available but when I selected that I got a message saying “this program is not available in your area”.

Mightily fed up of Sky Stream now - wonder can I change to Sky Q without penalty? I did a very long survey yesterday about the Sky Stream experience. One of the questions asked was did I have annoyances about not being able to see MOTD more or less as I wanted to see it! They must be getting flack about that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Very weird with top gun as it seems to be available on the channel 4 app. I mean the knives out thing is frustrating but at least there's consistency that it isn't available in the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Top Gun Maverick is available on the Sky Stream box through All 4 now so it's strange what happened last night. The error suggests a rights problem but as its there now who knows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Streaming rights are different to broadcasting rights and another reason for it to be roundly ignored while the carve up of media distribution continues and you have to bounce from platform to platform to get what you want to see

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This was broadcast though, on live TV. I hadn't tried to Watch from Start or anything. Just switched onto this channel and it appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Weird that it was blocked on Sky Stream. Top Gun Maverick was available on Channel 4 on Virgin Media. Indeed films on Channel 4 are never blocked on Virgin Media. The England-Brazil match before it was geo blocked but that was the case across all platforms accept for Freesat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Haven’t seen anything other than football geoblocked on Channel 4 on Sky in years. (They have preserved the capability to do so by keeping the ROI feed encrypted, however, the football is blocked by Channel 4 playout - they substitute the programme with an animated caption - rather than using Sky’s CAS to do so, which kinda makes you wonder why they bother continuing to encrypt if they’ve another method of geoblocking that doesn’t require it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It wasn’t blocked last night anyway (Top Gun that is)

opened 4OD and played perfectly

Caught the first 25 live too with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

I have a few pucks in my home house and tbh I love it it's great job . I wonder if i bought another puck and left it in my home house in another county would it work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Current sky customer,just got connected via NBI to sky broadband today....

was all set to uograde Sky+ boxes to Qsets but sky stream now seems a possibility thanks to 555mbs broadband.

a few questions....

is multiroom still €20 extra monthly....

how does it compare pricewise to SKY q....

our house is a bungalow with a large footprint, current router doesnt cover area,can sky send technician to fix this issue with extra pucks/boosters

will it be compatinle with an older tv(possible SCART) connection!

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

I see there is a flash sale on Sky Sports for a tenner a month. I currently use Now TV.

Is the on demand better with Sky Stream compared to Now? Sometimes on Now it takes a long time for the catch-up of a F1 race to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Can you add/remove packages, cancel etc online or still have to call for every change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Adding can be done instantly online.
    Removing needs a call - text and message support can't (probably more like won't) do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Fed up with Sky stream. Added a BBC4 history program to my playlist last night and guess what, it hasn’t added it. Bitterly regretting changing from Virgin Media. This streaming lark is no use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Sky Stream looks a good option when your first look at it. However, by the time you have priced it (including all sport) with one extra connection you are still ultimately going to be paying around €105 a month (end of first year)

Still massive cost to average person. The main bugbear I have with Sky is this charging for multiroom. This should have been ruled illegal by COM Reg when it first came out many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Multiroom still €20 a month, yes.

Slightly cheaper if you were paying for HD on Sky Q as HD is standard on Stream.

I don't believe Sky offer an in-home survey and set up service for broadband, at best they will ship branded boosters to you which will be added to your bill, but you have to position and set them up yourself.

HDMI only.

To be honest, if a TV service like Sky is important to you, stick with Sky Q. Otherwise Now TV and FTA is cheaper and more stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

On the boosters, I did recently see on the sky helpforum they had started charging for boosters - at least in terms of sky q so can't even assume something they've offered previously will stay like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I was told a few months ago they don’t provide boosters anymore. Their customer service seems to tell you completely different things depending on the agent.

I originally called them about something else and they asked how I was finding the broadband. I mentioned in passing it was good except for one room at the back of the house. The agent said she’d send out a booster. A few days later an ethernet cables arrives in the post so I give them a call and I’m told they don’t do boosters anymore.

Got rid of the Sky router completely and using Eero since.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

….thanks for the responses,….sky seemed reluctant to upgrade my Q order for a stream package….currently have a hd box and will stick with it till August as SLY wish to lock in a q package in for a year(starting now)……Mrs is far from impressed with me but the ever-changing sky deals give nothing to their long term customers…..am going to stick with the HD box and continue using the smart TV apps till then,….will re-evaluate in summer and re-sign up as a new customer dependant on what offers are in place.

….cant believe the boosters are now charged for also!….thankfully in the middle of having the house hardwired for CAT 6 canle and will boost signal myself!

oh yeah,found a hd port on the older TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

You should have a look at Eir TV. They charge €9.99pm for the basic TV service, and this includes the first Apple TV 4K puck. They don't advertise this - but since they use a standard Apple TV, you can add your own additional boxes without having to pay any additional monthly fee for multiroom - if you buy the boxes outright. Eir actually sell "reconditioned" boxes for €59.99 on their Eir Store website. These are very good value, and they still have a guarantee. This means that you can have TV in all rooms for the basic €9.99 subscription (plus the once-off price of the additional boxes). The Apple TV box is by far the best of the streaming boxes and since it is not proprietary to your TV supplier, you can continue to use it even if you move away from eir afterwards. (By the way, I am no Apple fan - and I don't use any other Apple products.) Eir also have an Android app, so you can stream from any phone or tablet to get additional screens using Chromecast etc. Eir are also the only streaming provider who have unrestricted cloud recording of the UK channels, including BBC. RTE don't allow any of the streaming providers to offer recording on their boxes, forcing the use of RTE player, or their catch-up services - but at least their player is available here (unlike BBC).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I have that setup for a few years with several extra boxes around the house. I also have BBC iPlayer on it perfectly with express VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Sky Stream is a disaster.

Playlist set up is terrible. Half the stuff never arrives. Like others I was promised the world on the phone when ordering - all BBC content would be there on demand etc. Gougers.

My iptv is streets ahead of it. Gone as soon as the 12 months is up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might steer clear of advocating either circumventing regional restrictions or piracy as solutions, thanks.

Same here! Playlist is a complete waste of time. Except my package is half the price of Virgin I'd be off. As soon as I'm out of contract I'm gone. The interface is all over the place too. I can't find anything good about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Just saw a Sky stream offer for 25 euro per month for a year contract( includes Sky sports ) There is supposed to be 5 days left to take up this offer. I know nothing about Sky streaming or Sky . Does it mean I'll be able to watch Sky F1 live for a year for just the 12 months total of 300 Euro ? Is the Sky streaming any good ?Where is the catch in this? I Looked up Sky streaming reviews on Trustpilot and they are very bad. Any advice please ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

ps its to include Netflix as well

Advertisement