Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you park at fuel pumps without needing fuel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭creedp

All that was missing there was pulling the blue badge out of his pocket and nonchantly tossing it on the dash before striding off purposefully. Seen this happen a couple of times btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Sure it stops people getting to the pump.

Your comment makes no sense.I was away for years and this is one of the selfish entitled behaviour I have observed since coming back (polite driving behaviour in general has detiorated).

I was actually shocked the first time I realized that arseholes are doing this. 😲 Never saw it in other countries.

See there are a few that outed themselves above.

The one..the ONE SMALLCAVEAT is the **** service stations forcing customers to queue to a counter pay inside the shop ..so fucning slow.

Same excuse often cited by the busy person parking in the disabled space

• Advertisement

In the old days it was common to see auld lads (this was before the ladies were allowed to drive🤣) pull up outside the door of shops on the main street of busy towns... Shure there was no where else to park nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Three of them got clamped in the Blanchardtown center a few days ago for parking in the low speed charging bays beside m&s. €125 release fee. Absolutely no need for it as lots of other parking.

Saw a new Volvo SUV abandoned on the road blocking 3 cars in a few weeks ago also, again no need for it, lots of parking around as it was mid week.

Many people really don't care about anyone else, only thing they will understand is a clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mac 3

Its a common occurrence where i live. I'm amazed there isn't more road rage incidents at these places.

Seen it done by a Tesla driver. Obviously he's not getting petrol. Pajama wearing mummies of 5 getting breakfast rolls and passat abandoned at the pumps.

In a busy station where i was waiting while I was having my car valeted, an white Audi full of builders parks at the pump. They arrive back after 10 minutes with the chicken rolls and we stay parked at the pump while eating. Couldn't give a sh1t. And then fire the rubbish out on to the ground.

The army abandon their land cruiser at the pumps and sit in the onsite supermacs having their food. oblivious to the people having to drive and manouver around their four wheel drive.

I think its a generation thing, no one gives a toss or has a clue. Fook all consideration for anyone else or their time.

The army lads were probably protecting the environment as a lucrative nixer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not saying it doesn’t happen as of course it does, but in 3.5 years of EV ownership I’ve never been blocked by an ICE car at a charger….. though in fairness in the last 12 months I’ve only publicly charged 3-4 times….. Ordinarily I fill up while fast asleep..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭eggy81

All these driving issues seem to have massively increased since Covid in my experience. It’s so obvious now. People park in front of pumps even if there is space to park elsewhere. Do it on purpose.

Ive only seen on street charger iced but more often by EVs and Phevs not charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just move the pumps ! Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I worked in a filling station for several years. I try not to park at the pumps where at all possible when not getting fuel but I needed to grab a carton of milk the other day and was at Circle K at Dub airport and ended up parking at the pump. The car park was packed with taxis parked up in all the parking spots and sitting in their cars and then more taxis double parked outside them - might as well have been a taxi rank really, pretty chaotic for those that wanted to go to the shop / go to the pumps.

I think it's just good manners to not park at the pump if you're just going to the shop but equally don't leave it at the pump after getting diesel and go do a 20 min browse of the shop either😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Most of the time I've seen a charger ICED recently it was a van doing some work nearby, they seem to have an idea that if the van fits then it's a parking space

I get it if you're carrying a load of heavy equipment in or something, but move the van afterwards please

Seen a lot of EVs and PHEVs sitting on chargers and not charging, hopefully vision systems can help fix that by grabbing the license plate and issuing a fine

As for petrol pumps, I think people generally try to move the car but sometimes fall into a bit of a trap. I know one person who ended up spending 15 mins paying because the machine that takes the fuel cards had to be reset and the poor guy behind the till had no idea what he was doing

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It's got nothing to do with the importance of your custom. It's the height of bad manners if you are not getting fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭snowcat

Yes but if there is no other spaces (and even if there is) and you are spending money in their business it is reasonable to use the fuel space. They make more money from the coffee than the fuel. Fuel is a loss leader for stations. They would absolutely prefer you block a fuel space and spend 6 euro on 2 coffees than fill with 50 euro of fuel. As an electric car driver i often spend 10euro on junk in a station that is just profit for the shop. Margin on fuel is negligible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s an old fashioned way of doing things. Once the handle is put back in the pump, nobody can use it until approved at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

That's a tough one to address. It is almost certain that human nature and concomitant psychology hasn't changed since humans first began to get going on earth. However it is also true that societies have evolved cultural understandings about how behaviour should best be structured.

One great divide in emphasis is that between prioritising the group or the individual. In the west we have gone massively for the individual . This has its good points presumably but also disadvantages. Many people therefore only think of their own individual wants and requirements -everyone else is an 'other' or a competitor who must be defeated.

The thing is they should realise that to everyone else they also are an 'other' !

So e.g. -I slow down any chance I get to let another driver into a long line of traffic because I reason that on another day I will be in that driver's position and hope someone else will similarly accommodate me.

We could make many things in life so much easier if we only thought more of other people. Full reciprocity is rational and functional. But alas too many are locked into pure selfishness to all our cost.

• Advertisement

I think only a disrespectful arsehole would do it. Going by that logic it's okay to park in a car wash as long as you're buying something even if you're not using the car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's selfish and uncourteous, hate it, I stare with devil eyes at the culprits

Absolutely. The Margin on a car wash is quiet high though but i do see people parking in the hand car wash queue in my local station. It would be interesting to see the stations view on who gets priority. Id imagine the station customers would be given priority as the car wash is on a fixed fee to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes, have done it loads of times if the filling station isn't busy.

There must be something wrong with anyone who believes that this is acceptable behaviour. Maybe it's just today's generation.

Can you share the reason why? handyness? laziness? blind? asleep?

As an EV owner I'm sure you would be a llitle bit annoyed if the charger you needed to use was iced, irrespective of how legitimate a reason the owner had for doing so

Well used to it. I understand an emergency or a few minutes use but when it extends beyond that..yea i would be a bit annoyed. Its very different to using services in a facility that does not have dedicated spaces. You are spending a lot of money in the facility and it does not matter if you are buying fuel or any other product. If it is a fuel only spot mark it as such and i will buy my coffee in the next petrol station with a non designated spot.

No no according to snowcat I'm okay to park here as long as I'm spending money.

• Advertisement

Does the ground at the pumps need to be sprayed Fuel Only for simpletons to understand that this space is to allow vehicles to refuel because the hose is not long enough to drag across the forecourt.

Advertisement