Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you park at fuel pumps without needing fuel?

Options
  • 15-07-2023 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

It's something I've noticed recently. When visiting a garage why do people block fuel pumps when not needing fuel?

Is it out of handyness? or laziness? Do people not think? or are they just cnuts?

Do you do it? Can anything be done to deter it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've seen it done here when the shop is crammed and there's just nowhere else to park. There are bigger issues in life to get bothered about. It never seems to stop others getting to pumps.

And let's face it the shop owner will make more from these customers buying from the deli and shop than they will from the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My local place is terrible you can be waiting 10 plus mins to get to a pump, while you wait for people to browse for stuff they never buy,

Hopefully we can see more of these unmanned petrol stations pop up ,

The worse tends to be long trucks who take up multiple pumps while they sit there eating a sandwich or having a coffee inside the Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I agree that there are bigger issues in life but you follow a vehicle into a garage. They pull up at a fuel pump and walk away without getting fuel. You're then sat there for ten minutes like a spare pr1ck at a wedding until they stroll out with a coffee and sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know, but I've driven in behind many a vehicle that got fuel and then blocked the pump while they had their coffee and roll inside at a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A little bit of consideration goes a long way.

If you are not fuelling don't park at the pump.

If another car is waiting move your car when you have filled and then go in to pay.

It's nice to be nice 🙂

• Advertisement

I just don't understand this. Why would you sit down to eat knowing you're blocking a pump?

If you don't need fuel you have no business at the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm going to go with option 3 and I really hope people who do this put the wrong fuel in their car when its their turn to need to use the pump.

It's just annoying. I saw a Leaf do it last week. They don't even use fuel pumps.

I like my Tesco garage. No shop just pumps. In and out in two minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Allinall

How does a long truck get into the shop in the first place?

That’s mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

This bugs me-so now if I see someone walk away I'll call to them out the window to move, or if I've the chance I'll pull out and around them, reverse as close as I can and watch them get annoyed when they have to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

What pisses me off too is when people pull up at the first pump when the second pump is free and you are behind them...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Yes I do, the petrol station I use doesn't have any parking other than at the pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a new / newish phenomenon. I gone a lifetime without ever seeing it done anywhere. To now seeing it while not regularly… but certainly it’s happening every now and then including two weeks ago in a situation where said driver only had to drive about another 10-12 meters and he’s parked in a designated parking spot, with a small walk into the shop.

A man of about 45, slim, healthy looking, completely able bodied…. It was late and I thought it was prepay after x time but nope, out he comes, handful of drinks, snacks, just slowly sauntering along looking all content with himself. Drives off without taking any fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't park at a pump unless I was going to get petrol, but I was warned off moving the car before paying as a following car could use the pump and it would go on your bill if you were not pretty sharp to go in and pay. That may be nonsense but I also don't want to be seen driving off even to park, without paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've started to go almost exclusively to unmanned petrol stations, such a much better less stressful experience, there's no discussion inside with the cashier whether you want to spin some wheel to win points to finance a free cup of tea, no person ahead of you struggling to get in touch with their bank manager in Monaco to authorise the €20 of petrol going in to their car. It's card only so no money on card no fuel from the outset, means you pretty much are never waiting for a pump to be free as those doing a shop for a family of 9 will head to the other fuel stations with shops.

Yeah I prefer this too. None of this coffee malarkey. It's like the US with all that shite. €50 diesel and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No, I'm not a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Pretty sure that's nonsense - once you've filled and replaced the hose, it won't restart until authorised from a till

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I’d never park at a pump if I wasn’t refuelling but I’d never move my car until I’d paid at the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭snowcat

ICE cars often park in electric charging spots. Much greater problem than a few minutes blocking a fuel pump.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes…

But whats even worse is when it’s an EV parked in the space and not charging…. They should at least know better….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Not only that most of the tills have a hold and recall type function so they can authorise the fill for the next car and recall the previous amount. One paying and one filling.

As to the original question definitely option 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,207 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Another thing I have noticed is people who park right at the door of the shop so that the last couple of pumps nearest the door are inaccessible. And one annoying place near me where you can drive in at either end so you are just driving to a pump and someone comes from the opposite direction and parks in front of you, which necessitates some awkward reversing to escape, especially if there is someone behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Best thing about an ev really, I've never had somebody park in my drive, stopping me from plugging in when I get home at night. Hate forecourts, dirty smelly places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭HBC08

Some people are inconsiderate pr1cks.

In life in general its probably less than 10% of people but they're always the ones we remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I like to park my electric car midway between 2 pump blocks, at a slight angle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

If there are no ordinary spaces, then yes, why not I am a customers of the shop or station, is my money not as important as the motorist fuelling up? Seriously people need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

A few weeks ago I drove into the local petrol stations it was quite busy, had to queue at the pumps, of course, the pump I went to was the slowest Murphys Law, just as I was about to reverse out to another pump what appeared to be the driver with a fast food bag approached said car (there's a fast food takeaway in the station. Anyway, I say ah lovely saves me backing up and maneuvering into a different pump. So I start the car in anticipation as he gets to his vehicle and the chap glances over at me as he jumps in his car..... (I assumed my starting of my engine would signal im anxious to get my fuel and head on which i was)

Im sitting there with the car idling with no sign of his car moving... 3 minutes or so pass... Im thinking is he ok, through the back tint it was difficult to see what he was doing I could see some sort of movement... another minute or 2 pass. His car never starts, so I'm thinking he has a mechanical issue, im like what's the story he may need a push start, I jump out and see if he needs assistance... He's sitting there eating his burger and chips on his lap drink on the dashboard .... lol not a bother on him with his ketchup on his face lol ! In fairness, he apologized and moved on, gas man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭creedp

If not In a rush and physically possible pull up tight beside their drivers door and follow them into shop taking a little longer than them to exit

Advertisement