Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep. And I'd say that the sales actually went very well this year.

Whilst I didn't get a ticket, I never saw a hung page and haven't heard much of people having problems with the site when they did get through, other than being unlucky on the page timing out on them as the sale ended. People giving out to See Tickets on Twitter about it being terrible don't know what trouble we used to have and the scramble to find back doors and similar. Not needed now, but is just pot luck as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 reflekting

I managed to get lucky this time, took a year off this year after finding 2022 a little disappointing. Sounds like lots of the issues were sorted this time around so I'm pretty excited. Has anyone done Worthy View before and can recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I havent done it but know people that have and that hill can be a MOFO. Have been up to the new Strummerville and its a bit of a hike. Nice view and all but the whole nipping back to the tent to grab something can take 90 mins round trip.

Its 1.5k from the Pyramid as the crow flies. So its fine if you're an "out for the day" crowd. But if you're at the back of WV, it can be close to an hour walk from your tent to the Pyramid stage. Takes 20 mins to get to the festival gates in some cases.

Imagine having to walk from the Pyramid Stage to the fence behind the Glastonbury sign, then up another steep hill and then walk another 20 minutes past that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Whilst the distances around the site are not very far, once you put a couple of hundred thousand people in the way you can multiply the time it would take to get anywhere by 5.

I've been around the site some other times of the year, and done a couple of 5km and 10km races there, and it surprised me how close things were in reality. But during festival time reality goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭crl84

Yes, twice, highly recommended, especially if you're flying. Although it is getting more and more pricey, but that's everything really. Having the carpark 5mins walk away is a big plus if you're driving.

Hill isn't that bad, all paved steps now and hand rails. If you can walk up a normal hill for 5mins, you can do the WV hill fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Folks, luckily got tickets and will be my first time heading

Any tips on getting there? We're thinking flying in and out of Bristol unless there's a better recommendation?

Driving for us. Flying is too much of a faff with extra baggage, limited gear, bringing tents and other camping gear through airports, taxi to supermarket en-route, taxi to the site, carrying ALL your stuff in one go, organising pickup on Monday etc.

Our usual thing is driving over on Tuesday afternoon ferry, staying within about 45min drive of the site on Tuesday night, do a supermarket shop that night to get supplies, go to the festival early(ish) Wednesday.

For your first time, I'd highly recommend going over on the Tuesday, so that the next day you can get to site and have as much of Wednesday as possible to explore.

Normally Id fly into Bristol on Tuesday, stay in a hotel close by and head down early Wednesday morning. Up at 6am.

But with the queues usually being a mess Im done with arsing about in a zigzag queue for 5 hours on Wednesday morning in favour of flying into Bristol at midday and getting a taxi down to the festival and go in after the queues have died down.

I might stop off in Tesco for a bit of booze but generally just bring the tent in one rucksack and the missus has a smaller rucksack with some clothes. Will have a taxi ordered to bring us back to the airport on Monday, late morning.

If the queues are a mess, you could be in the queue at 7am and not be pitched up until 3pm. But if you arrive at 2pm you'll be pitched up by 4pm.

My advice is to travel as light as possible and buy as much as you can on site. Shitload of bars, winebars, loads of food options, a co-op, camping shop for fiddly bits etc.

These are great btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Same boat here. Really debating the ferry/driving option vs flying into Bristol and getting a bus/taxi. Have no interest in queuing for hours - would be more than happy to arrive Wednesday around 3 or 4pm if it meant less of a queue. Would probably prefer the driving option but wouldn't fancy being the driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

They are awesome, have a single and a double and both are so convenient and better than a blow up bed.

• Advertisement

If theres 3 or 4 or you an Uber from the airport will cost 20 quid each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Always envious of those that can travel light. When weather a factor I'd not be arsed tho have to admit. In 2016 for example you would need the car and all potential bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Thanks for the inputs, folks. Definitely a trade-off between flying and driving...the thoughts of a 5+ hour drive back after 4-5 nights on the sauce just doesn't seem feasible!

Has anyone stayed in the pre-pitched tents? Think this might be a handy solution. We have friends who are trying in the resale in March , so won't know the full numbers to book until then is the only issue so hoping they don't sell out before then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I also recommend those airbeds. Comfortable, light and pack up remarkably small.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That's what has always put me off driving. I like to get the most out of the festival, including Sunday night and realistically I wouldn't be fit to be behind the wheel of a car until Tuesday. So I just fly over and back to Bristol and get buses. I've got a big rucksack I can find everything in so no messing around with multiple bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

All BS.

1. No one from Glasto goes and talks to the Fail like that. Especialy since the Price episode.
    2. There was no way Madge as ever going to do the Legends slot.
    3. Theres no way shes performing her current show outdoors anyway.

The Daily Fail is a form of cancer and nobody that has anything to do with the festival would go anywhere near them. You should really stop reading that nonsense it rots your brain.

I think it's quite fanciful to think no-one at the festival would speak to the Daily Mail, as **** as it is. People speak to the media. Glastonbury is a massive media organisation with dozens of people on the payroll.

That said, the story is probably bollocks for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Probably isn’t tbh. The Madonna tour is a big production and Glastonbury is famous for paying a fraction of artists normal rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis has been knighted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

eFestivals full of rumours that Stevie Wonder is to be the third headliner. Would have much rathered Madonna personally but Stevie Wonder wouldn't be the worst substitute.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Liam G confirmed that mine and Squire will be at Glasto this year

We have 2 threads on the go now. Maybe we should use this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭rubick

Great news that the Genosys stage will be back to Block9 after two years away, apparently been refurbished after being in storage during the pandemic.

Great to see, that bus stage wasn't quite cutting it. A bus replacement service, if you will.

The main West Holts booker created a playlist that seemingly has the WH lineup, it was titled WH24 before the title was changed. Still public though. Did the same last year too apparently but no-one seems to have noticed.

Heilung

Matthew Halsall

Masego

Cymande

Danny Brown

Squid

Sugababes

Balming Tiger

Jessie Ware

Sofia Kourtesis

Asha Puthli

Jalen Ngonda

Jordan Rakei

Corinne Bailey Rae

Birttany Howard

Alogte Oho and his Sounds of joy

Noname

The Skatalites

Dub Terror

Jungle

Nia Archives

Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Northernsoul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭rubick

Ah, yeah it was still a great stand for a bit but lacked the spectacle. Definitely missed it the past couple. It'll feel more roomy around there too with the new layout.

Justice back on West Holts, yes please! That was one of the best gigs of 2017.

• Advertisement

Really was. And means theres defo one headliner Im looking forward to. Pyramid headliners shapingup to be a bin fire

Advertisement