Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are summer holidays abroad done ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

You can get a direct flight to Athens from Dublin now but to get to one of the islands you would need to take a regional flight from Athens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Wales is lovely I have been a few times.

I love London walking around Westminster Cathedral is like walking into history, but London is crowded and expensive

History would be my thing so we went to Cambridge to explore the college, and did a 3-day trip, it's amazing if you like history.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Did whole London thing this year ..but I didn't know ( even more so now) , how the tourist loop has become such a global thing.

Unbelievably packed..probably first time since probably Venice..that I went ..you know what tourism is actually out if hand...could hardly enjoy museums or stuff in them ..People literally doing a walk by to say they were there ..but they weren't really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Europe is getting boring, everywhere is the same these days.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lol..in what way.

Kinda a different buzz in say

Berlin

Munich

Paris

London

Rome

Dublin

Is that not the beauty of Europe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Canaries over Christmas period is a dream to break up the winter. That's my summer.

Ireland is full to the brim of price gougers, can't blame anyone for going abroad. No value..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if your idea of a holiday is heading to the hottest part of Europe at the height of the tourist season when everyone in Northern Europe heads south, then yes you will have issues, especially as the locals have gotten fed up of the tourists and are introducing taxes and other restrictions, so facilities won’t be improving any time soon.

On the other hand there are plenty of places in Central Europe with good food, great scenery and good weather to be enjoyed if you try stepping out of your comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Places like Canaries are really nice but middle of July and August surrounded by drunk Irish teenagers and bald tattoo 40 year old Brits sounds like my idea of hell lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Aren’t we in Europe, and it was 14 degrees today????

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

fabulous as in the health emergency declared in a number of countries across the southern part of the continent???...people are dropping dead like flies including the acclimatised locals!

the village in la palma where i proposed to my wife was evacuated on friday when a forest fire engulfed the place. loads of homes destroyed, peoples lives ruined.

your wish for hotter the better is happening, unfortunately its getting too hot for many to handle though.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

A load of hassle and worse ... that is what going foreign is all about these days ...

Passports? a load of hassle and mugshot style photos ...

Popular destinations?

Spain/Portugal/Italy/Greece/Turkey (Turkiye) = too hot ...

Eastern Europe = too near Ukraine ... Ukraine and Russia are totally out of the question ...

France? Riots and strikes everywhere ...

Iran? The government could kidnap you ... plus heat and awkward money exchanges ...

The rest of the Middle East = war and terrorism .... and heat ...

India = more heat ....

Africa = more heat plus war ...

USA = a country where there is a clear problem with gun toting terrorists and where it is legal to bring guns almost anywhere !!!

Everywhere else = too far away!! ... but prob too hot anyway ... Australia anyone ?? ..

So .... it is either Ireland or the UK .... plus Nordic countries .... and the climate is wrong for non-heat reasons here and there ....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Southern US getting it super tight too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66195722

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

My post was more me feeling frustrated that we don't get the great weather other countries get but your right, what those cities are now experiencing is scary.

Just did.

Humans and lighting strikes are the causes of forest fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

There are direct flights with Ryanair or Aer Lingus from Dublin to several Greek islands including Kos, Crete, Rhodes and Santorini which in turn opens up others that are a shorter ferry hop away than the sometimes long voyage from Athens.

the islands vary quite a bit in character and can offer more than just sand and sun. A cliff top apartment with balcony in Santorini can be pricy but a definite bucket list experience.

and yeah, go in early June or late August/September to any of the islands and everything is open, busy but not crowded and the weather will be likely to be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The more common droughts and dry conditions are making fires larger and harder to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the media are blowing this out of proportion as usual, my family just came back from Sardinia and while it was hot there was nobody collapsing or crowds being cooled down by fire hoses, they drove 200 miles each side of their destination in a rental visiting various place and had a great time.

the money being charged for europe is quite high since covid and dubai is even working out cheaper with flights from dublin at €650 return and accommodation for €40 a night

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Did I just read that “people are dropping like flies” above. Has the complete over reaction to covid not thought some people anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We visited Rome in mid-June this year and the weather was hot but bearable (low 30's), the must-see attractions like the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps, The Trevi Fountain and Vatican City were heaving of course but we practically had Ostea Antiqua to ourselves when we visited that and the waterpark while busy wasn't so much so as to make it unenjoyable for our teenagers.

That said, I'm glad myself and Mrs Sleepy did Venice in February (a treat for our 10th anniversary) rather than the middle of summer, can imagine 30 degree temperatures there being a nightmare with humidity and given how busy it was in winter, the crowds in summer are probably horrendous.

I can see rationing of flights happening in the near future due to climate change but I'd imagine most will be saving their "credits" for such for the annual family holiday and the reduction will be in weekend breaks and business travel.

Holidaying in Ireland is simply too expensive to be a viable option for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Cornwall and the south west of England is marvellous, very pricey for accommodation though , it’s an expensive part of the UK , second after London

We are going to Montenegro at the end of September, hopefully not too late for reasonably nice weather

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

The Bay of Kotor is up there with Iceland and the Cape of Good Hope for me as the most scenic places ive ever experienced. Montenegro is a great place to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Either you've never been to Europe or you need to spend more times in rural areas and not cities.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

We are staying in Kotor but hope to also visit Budva

Scandinavia is lovely in summer without getting too hot - like 25-30 at the most. Can be expensive though - not sure it would work for drinking binges with the mates, but might be nice for famliies. Especially the outdoorsie types.

I have been all over Europe, rural places too.

Living the life

Sweden is nice in the summer, they get higher temperature than us. Would love to see Norway really,which I haven't.

I found Lapland boring. Will have to go again in Finland as we have relatives living there but definitely would never go to Lapland again.

Living the life

• Advertisement

Then what exactly is it that you feel is missing?

Never had the pleasure :) - furtherst north I got was Kuopio (which still had snow in April, but is 23 degrees now...

Advertisement