Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are summer holidays abroad done ?

Options
  • 14-07-2023 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭

With Europe melting in July and August and every tourist spot over crowded ..too many people everywhere..strikes ..airports ..baggage issues...unreal cost..

Is the traditional July and August a thing of the past ?

Has anyone decided ..that is it for me..any new plans ..off season ..any locations the sheep don't go.

Any tips for August..nothing booked...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Istria in Croatia, pity pebble rather than sandy beaches but otherwise lovely spot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You can literally go anywhere you want in the world! You don't need to go to the Amalfi Coast in the middle of Summer and queue up for an hour to get an ice cream

Traditional holidays kinda are a thing of the past with less working restrictions and more destinations available + people putting a bigger value on experiences. Post covid air travel has gone sky high that folks can organise it all themselves

The best touristy places are far better off season anyways, if you can manage to go then. Italy in Winter has a fantastic vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I generally never go away in the height of summer.

May and September have been my proper holiday get aways for 15 years now.

Not stifling heat, that’s drains you and you are able to explore and walk around way more in comfort and have loads more energy in the evening.

south of France in May or September is class…. For not many people and just a more relaxed, warm vibe… will still be tshirt weather up until the AM…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Never really go away in July or August, way better value and quieter in May or September.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you must go during Irish summer holidays, you need to go before the Brits finish. Which they did last week.

If summer holidays were finished, there wouldn't be anywhere full - its the opposite, people want to get away more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Actually most English schools still have another week to go. If you're childless and don't work in education it obviously makes more sense to go in May or September. For everyone else the summer months are still as popular as ever. Packed planes heading for the Med all summer long tell their own story.

Especially with the weather like it is today, people are hardly going to go to Lahinch when you can get a week in Spain for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

This!!

Just back from Tenerife and feck all English families with kids so really quiet with no queues or difficulty getting tables in restaurants or sunbeds at the pool. That said Scottish schools are finished earlier so we see a good few kids in Rangers and Celtic jerseys.

We used to holiday in Cornwall when my kids were younger and we would always go during the few weeks between national schools at home finishing and the English schools finishing. Cornwall at this time would be busy but grand. When the English schools finish it becomes a massive overcrowded traffic jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Well our summer is continuing to be sh*te while the rest of Europe continues to have a fabulous summer so the only option is to get away anywhere once it out of this overpriced country. For me the hotter the better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There’s still a couple of places on the Algarve that are mostly frequented by Germans, some Italians, and the Portuguese, themselves.

Very few Irish or English so you can be sure of a nice quiet “holiday” in the sun. I’ve my holiday booked and will be heading off every year for the foreseeable future.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Depends on your definition of sh*te and fabulous of course. I personally think it's fabulous that we in Ireland don't have weather that will kill you, and sh*te that you can't go to the Acropolis in the afternoon for fear of dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Albania is gorgeous.

After the Spanish Civil war ended the south of Spain was basically spat on and jeered by the rest of the country. investment in the region was appalling until the London crime syndicates saw distinctive opportunity in places such as the Costa Del sol. The locals were not to argue and once Spain and Portugal entered the EU in 1982 the regions future was copper fastened.

Lets go foooookng mental , lets go fooooking mental , da da nah nah da da nah nah.

Aaaaaaaaan gaaaaaaaaaa do do do push pineapple shake the tree.

There is scope to argue that Benidorm may not exist were it not for the miners strike and Thatchers genocide of the British working class. I can imagine most of the time share investment was originally fueled by redundant miners.

Cornwall is gorgeous in August. Fresh Scampi, dry cider, strawberries and cream and whatever else you fancy. Crucially it is difficult to get to, but that is phucking point mortals.

Bon Voyage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,890 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fcuk that, as soon as covid fcuks off, and they reopen the volcano, im outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

Is this a genuine question or using media tactics of indirectly seeding doubts in people's minds for a green agenda? It's a popular method of journalism. Insinuate something by use of a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I had to stick on the fan heater for a short while when I arose this morning. It's the 15th July, slap bang in the middle of summer.

I saw the same title of this thread in a news app today, might have been the Irish Examiner. I really had to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No is genuine..

Was looking at photos and footage of various popular spots be it southern Europe/ cities like Rome .

Between the temperatures and unreal crowds and over tourism. Looked like torture.

Even the Easter break..was in London..Great place and city ..but it was about a 90 min queue to get into everything.

The earth is full ..cities are full ..seems strange wealth out there that enables constant tourism.

Is the fun of tourism done..off season or nothing...

Has anyone been away and gone..not again ..or not at this time..

I think this could be the future of tourism..pick somewhere stupid to get to ..

Anywhere handy to get to..your into 4.99 all you can eat breakfast land..

And a shite beer for 2 euro..

...plenty of places on this planet with fcuk all people around, much cooler to....

northern europe maybe? heading back to iceland myself, hopefully in the next few days, off the richter scale in regards costs, but shur.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Looking at the weather in Dub over the last few days.....NO is the answer to your question. Not a chance.

Did think of Northern Europe ...but I'm sure all them countries have massive domestic tourism..a bit like ireland now, a shack in West Mayo is about 2k + for a family

ah im sure theres many hidden gems around europe, some deep googling maybe. yea irish prices are just off the walls, cant blame people for not staying around....a week in iceland camping alone is costing me about 2.5k or so, so....

We use our holiday home in Connemara during the summer and head off somewhere else come September. Bolivia and Chile this year. Being able to work remotely is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My secret happy place (not secret anymore) is the Aude region in Southern France. But as others have said June or September are the best times to go anywhere now.

Fly into Carcassonne, either hire a car or use the trains depending on the time available. The drive down through Mirepoix, Foix, Ax les Thermes and Cathar country is great. Then if time allows over the Pyrenees via Bourg Madame (the Little Yellow train goes from here way up into the Pyrenees, touristy but stunning), on into Puigcerda in Spain and then to Andorra and back up again. I'm not going to wax lyrical about it all, but for adults and children alike there are just so many things to see and do. A canal boat trip down the Canal du Midi to Narbonne is another option, and a trip to Toulouse up the road to see the Airbus factory amongst other things.

Perpignan and that region is another gem, but I don't like beaches much so will go to please others and enjoy it just the same, not as much as the Aude though.

I think the Spanish Costas are nearing their capacity now. Some of them are dire, some are very nice. And of course I like the nice ones ha ha. Estepona is one fabulous spot. Far enough away from the airport to keep the riff raff out lol. But France is my fave. There is nowhere apart from the bainlieus of Paris and Marseilles that I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

We holidayed in Ireland for 14 consecutive summers 2009-2022. Very enjoyable. We started staying at home because the children were very young and it was easier.

Decided to break with tradition and go to Spain earlier this month. We all had a great time. No bullsh*t with red eye flights, airport parking or queues as I decided to fly from Shannon rather than Dublin. 5.00pm flight out, 3.00pm flight back. No delays at either end (first time that's ever happened to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Some of the Greek islands are really worth a visit. Last September we booked a superb apartment in Santorini with an amazing view. It was within walking distance of Thera main town, and there was some really good restaurants. No mad crowds at all where we stayed, it was really peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,140 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have in the past done a few consecutive euro camp type holidays with the kids, but last was 3 years ago now or so.

We got hot weather. Hot but bearable. I thinking seriously about not doing them again, due to the heatwaves that seem to be an annual thing now. Couldn't cope with that.

Luckily I have seen the likes of Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Milan already, so won't be rushing back.

Perhaps ireland could profit from constant heatwaves? Maybe more Europeans might want to escape the heat for a week or two in our climate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I only go to Europe in May or September.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement