Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing TV and Sky Sports Racing may be affected by new gambling bill

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I saw that. I don’t want to belittle the concerns by dismissing it as much ado about nothing, but at the same it shouldn’t affect channels who are licensed in other jurisdictions and broadcast into Ireland under the EU Audiovisual Directive. In other words it would be RTE, VMTV, TG4, and Premier Sports that would be affected, rather than Sky Sports or TNT. Premier would probably the hardest hit, as it has the double whammy of both being Irish licensed and showing mainly events from outside the jurisdiction. An option would be for it to relocate to another EU jurisdiction and broadcast into Ireland that way.

Most U.K. based broadcasters did not take up an Irish license after Brexit, they instead took out licenses in the likes of Germany, Luxembourg, or the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Bookies dont help themselves bombarding people on racing channels with ADs of how to sign up every 5 minutes , free bet offers to lure people in.

If someone has a brain or some bit of a clue then they shut them down , the ADs should say we only want Mug punters or people who havent a clue .

Too much silent gambling online destroying homes .

It wasnt too bad one time when people who wanted a bet went to the races or the dogs at night or went into a physical bookmakers & met a few but nowadays bookies want you to lose your household income in your own bedrom/sitting room .

PS The racing industry shouldt have to rely on bookie ADS income, theres a share of people making huge money breeding & Selling horses who seem to pay no tax on profits out of horse racing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

Fully agree, the bookmakers have a lot to answer for. I suppose I'm a bit unusual that I follow racing closely but seldom, if ever, actually bet. So I purely watch it for enjoyment. Yes the online aspect of betting also needs complete overhaul and some form of proper safeguards is badly needed.

Further update in The Irish Field this week:

NEWS: Racing channels under threat from gambling legislation 14 July 2023 Free (theirishfield.ie)

We might try to concentrate on the broadcasting aspect rather than the rights and wrongs of gambling itself, I know people may have strong feelings but the substantive discussion is simply off topic for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

In the Committee hearing during the week the Sky Rep said it would not affect soccer Broadcasts to Ireland aldo some TDs said in the meeting that sky had made submissions that it would. Its hard to know what the truth is.

In Regards to the racing ads could they not just have the channel behind a pin lock like sky have for some shows during day time hours?.

I also belive the British are intending to bring in simlar laws in regards to gambling ads

• Advertisement

Yes I thought the Pin lock would be a good solution to the problem as well. I expect we will hear more about this in the autumn, all the racecourse managers are contacting TD's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's a ban on bookmaker ads then all Lottery advertising should come under the same criteria, it should be across the board. Some pensioner pumping €50 a week in to scratchcards and lotto slips is as bad as someone placing bets on the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

If those racing channels go off air in Ireland surely punters will end up watching the races online?

Further update on this, HRI had a meeting with the Minister of State which while described as 'constructive' did not achieve any progress on the issue of gambling adverts between 5:30a.m. and 9 p.m. One source in the racing industry thinks it will now be an 'uphill struggle' to maintain access to the racing channels.

NEWS: Live racing pictures remain under threat 08 September 2023 Free (theirishfield.ie)

• Advertisement

Simlar article below. The ban is not as strict as i taught as the jockeys sponsors will not be blocked and it look like it is more around the adds during the breaks and when the horses are loading.

Think the state is over reacting here still as i cant see to many kids watching racing during the day.if The two stations pull the plug how they stop watching streams from the UK using VPNs?

Nope it's not that strict at all expect for this block on gambling ads, and as the UK have not put a similar provision in their legislation the broadcasters aren't going to do it. Though At The Races (now Sky Sports racing) used to have an Irish ads opt-out when they showed Irish racing, so they could have probably done it alright.

Surely there’s a complaint to the EU Commission to be made here - how can the State purport to regulate broadcasters not licensed here? Surely the whole point of the the AVMSD is that broadcasters only need to be licensed and regulated in one EU jurisdiction?

And yes, absolutely even if it’s legally sound, surely an Irish opt out with no gambling ads would solve the issue, if it only applies to advertising and sponsorship actually sold by the broadcaster and not on-track sponsorship that happens to appear as part of the broadcast. Sounds like the two broadcasters have decided that won’t pay?

Yes you would think that the AVMSD is something that could be brought up, I presume RTV has it's EU licence in Luxembourg or the like. And yes the Irish opt out would solve it in one stroke, but both channels say it's not commercially viable, RTV are quoting a cost of €2 million to do it.

I have to say I’d be more accepting of that if Sky didn’t already sell adverts on behalf of 30 UK satellite channels with Irish opt outs already. Some of these stations are niche in their own right: Are they saying that each of these channels individually earn enough advertising revenue in excess of €2m pa to justify their existence - a combined €60m pa? Is the Irish advertising market really that lucrative? (Edit: apparently all TV advertising combined is €265m pa, but RTE and VMTV must make up the lions share of that).

I find it hard to believe that Sky Sports Golf justifies an opt out but Sky Sports Racing doesn’t, given the interest in racing here.

Interesting article with the CEO of Horse Racing Ireland, apparently the minister has said he will accept a 'legally workable' solution if one can be found.

'We can't let that happen, we have to find a solution' - HRI chief speaks out about possible loss of pictures | Racing Post

I think there is a big mood switch in government and they have the support to push it through. You could end up with Racing TV with just UK rights and irish tv with the standard free to air rights on rte or virgin

I like the quote below:

An RMG spokesperson said: “We did initially write to Minister Browne and the Department of Justice in March and April to request a meeting, but we never received a response

This ban seams to be getting a little closer. Is there any viewership numbers of what these channels get?

• Advertisement

I've heard that Racing TV has around 30,000 Irish subscribers. Sky Sports Racing is available to anyone with the right Sky Entertainment package, the same one that has Eurosport I think. SSR used to have an Irish ad opt-out but it closed about 2 years ago.

It has stalled its parliamentary passage since last July, read into that what you will, but this is legislation that’s been before the Oireachtas since 2022 and we are now in 2024.

Article on this issue in The Sunday Times this week (behind a paywall), apparently will be back in the Dáil in April, then Seanad in May for enactment into law during the summer if there is no more hold-ups. Mentions consistent talk of a possible racing channel ad exemption but the Minister is steadfast against this.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/will-the-irish-government-fold-on-gambling-crackdowns-rf0hmb2kz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Just looking at this in the context of elections coming up etc. I have a feeling it will be postponed and let the next Government take the issue up

I was listening to Ivan Yeats podcast and he had a good ramble about this bill and saying if it gos through we wll be looking at the closure of race tracks.

I know everything he says you take with a truck load of salt but i have been to normal meetings in fairyhouse and the curragh with work and only for our group know one would be there. The numbers attending are very poor so maybe there is some truth in what he says.

He is right there, the sport has changed nowadays that outside of the big days it's generally watched off-course. 80-90% of the fixtures are run for media rights money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Belta_TVwiz

It's time we had a chat about the relentless "Cash Machine" adverts blaring through the waves on Today FM. I don't know about you but I'm feeling like I'm stuck in the gambling zone with no way out.

Every time I tune in, it's a barrage of "Cash Machine" DJ chatter assaulting my ears. I can't even enjoy my tunes without dodging these relentless pitches for phone in gambling cash.

The bill is at report and final stages in the Dail next Wednesday 10th April.

The state seams to think the horse racing will have no problem getting other ads?

Broadcasters and licensees will be obliged to comply with the obligations concerning advertising and sponsorship. In the case of broadcasters in particular, it has been shown that they have the capacity to replace advertising intended for other jurisdictions with Irish focused advertising. Therefore they should be able to comply with the obligations being introduced in the Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Keep the gambling adverts to the racing channels and all will be ok.

Advertisement