Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E5 "Charades" Warning Contains Spoilers.

Options
2»

Comments

Poor Prodigy. Understood what Trek was/is 100 times more than Discovery ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Which is ironic because the initial reaction to press releases from the "real Trek" brigade was to rip it to sht because the aliens "didn't look Star Trek enough"

Plenty of snobbery about it being Nickelodeon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the first few episodes while quite decent in their own right weren't very "Star Trek". Wasn't until mid way through the season where it started feeling more like a Trek show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Hopefully that's the 'comedy' episode out of the way. Plenty of good bits in there, didn't cross over too far into a sitcom but came close. Still very much on board that SNW is the Trek we've all been dying for, for many years.

"the Trek we've all been dying for"

I wouldn't go that far. Still too nostalgia heavy and set in the wrong century.

All I want is a follow up to DS9 that gives us a bit of something on how the actual timeline is going. Starting with Voyager we have a show cut off from the usual setting then we have had 4 live action shows and a movie series and only 1 wasn't a prequel (Picard). And sadly after about 5 episodes into Picard they abandoned any sort of interesting geopolitical storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the upcoming Lower Decks crossover is sure to be a 'comedy' episode.

Fair point, there's no 'we' in such a large fanbase, especially a cross generational one.

I totally agree that prequels are the worst way to go, but would counter that SNW has worked absolute wonders in spite of that as a starting point.

Ah, I might take that week off, had actually forgotten about that coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think either episode 6 this week or episode 7 next week which is directed by Jonathan Frakes by the way could be the crossover episode and it looks like episode 9 is the singing episode. Could be good could be terrible.

By the way I have all the titles for the last few episodes if ye would like me to post them here but I can not hide them behind a spoiler.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC Their listed on IMDb (warning contains spoilers).

Episode 7 is the crossover episode.

Episode 9 by tittle alone is the musical.

Also for episode 9: -

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' Christina Chong hints at the mysterious 9th episode of season 2 and her role in its creation.

List of episode names below in spoiler.

S2, Ep6 Lost in Translation

S2, Ep7 Those Old Scientists

S2, Ep8 Under the Cloak of War

S2, Ep9 Subspace Rhapsody

S2, Ep10 Hegemony

Don't you know how to spoiler? Also removed links in the list.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I really enjoyed that episode; the Vulcan stuff has been broadly well executed and has skirted the occasional past issue of Vulcans played like constipated monotone àssholes - though in this episode T'Pring's mother was very much an àsshole. I actually quite like T'Pring, which is a credit to the actor's performances - that's not something I'd have thought, given she's kinda set up as a fairly redundant character in the long run.

Yeah the Chapel and Spock stuff is debatably canon breaking, or at least canon stressing, but I can't fault the chemistry and camaraderie on show across the ensemble and it's various match ups - platonic or otherwise. The balance of drama felt right, the conflict between Spock and Chapel earned; the trick now is not to overegg this romantic pudding.

And once more, Ethan Peck excelled - this time in playing Spock being human, playing Vulcan. The emotional discovery was fun, but not as overplayed as it could have been; Peck played it like something out of control, but mostly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,054 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wasn't a big fan of this one.

It seems unrealistic that this strange new life form living within an interdimensional portal didnt cause anyone to think about maybe investigating it?

Do we just accept the Kerkhovians as an alien race and move on with our lives? Considering they whole point of them being out there way to do some archeological survey on them, seems odd that no one is interested by the discovery that they are now energy based lifeforms...

They were basically just the excuse to have Spock transformed. They could have been any number of machines or anomaly. Pity really as I find that side of stuff more fun than the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I liked this one. Ethan Peck was excellent, the chemistry between Spock and Nurse Chapel is what makes this work. Interesting side note, the actress playing Spocks Mother, Mira Kirshner is only about 10 years older than Ethan peck. She was also one of the actresses who came out and accused HARVEY Weinstein of sexual assault in a hotel room when she was 21.

Yeah I would have preferred dual plots of someone investigating the Kerkhovians and then let the "Guinan episode" with Spock continue in parallel.

Just sending the girls off to chat to a new, clearly superior life form about Spock doesnt seem very realistic and didnt stroke my scientific needs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I gotta laugh how all portrayals of Amanda since TOS have tended to hire what I'd struggle to describe beyond the crudity of a "MILF"; cos how many years are between here and TOS when we meet her "first"? All grey-haired and very much presented as an ageing, neutral mother. As opposed to the open cleavage and general glamourous appearance of SNW's Amanda? Not that from what I recall of the Kelvinverse, Winona Ryder wasn't exactly dolled up - but again they hired relatively young and attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Amanda's actress was mid 50's in TOS and the actress in SNW is 48 so it's not a huge discrepancy besides people looking younger for longer these days.

It's like 10 years on Tattooine turning you from present day Ewan McGregor to 1977 Alec Guinness.

Add the several years until Kirk captains the ship and the ages align

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

This season has been disappointing

Ha, looks like I got the episode I was expecting here during Lost In Translation!

Advertisement