Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E5 "Charades" Warning Contains Spoilers.

Options
  • 12-07-2023 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Can not wait to see what this one is about.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

An okay episode, a bit canon breaking. Spock, Chapel and T'Pring.

And as mentioned in the general thread, size of shuttles.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was brilliant. Definitely a Spock and Nurse Christine Chapel episode. I loved when Spock got angry in the bathroom lol is swashbuckling and then screaming into the cushion lol. I was expecting him to break a mirror but then peopke would be in and know sonethings wrong but I would say he felt like it. Loved the scenes at the beginning too with Spock and all the crew doing there things. Spock finally getting a joke lol. Also loved Nurse Chapel saying she will not apply for the Vulcan Archaeological course again as they did not deserve her and refusing to tell the Vulcan how she had been to that other dimension saying he can read it in the next medical journal just brilliant. As for the Kharskhins I thought they were good too and something different.

Yellow and blue lol. You would have to wonder how many of them there are do if they are all named after colours. How many colours are there in the world. If I were to guess I would say somewhere between 30 and 50.

I would put this as my second favorite SNW Episode after one from season 1 or maybe even the first episode of Season 2.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That was awfully boring. I don't care about Spock's relationship with either woman and Spock as a punchline has been milked dry at this stage.

And why was the Enterprise sent to investigate something right on Vulcans doorstep. Do the Vulcan Science Academy not own a ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Very good, with great performance(s?) from Peck.

I wasn’t able to get a screenshot from Paramount+, came out blank, but is that the NX-01 classic on the screen in the background as Spock cleans up after Kirk around 4 minutes 10 in? 🕵️

Post deleted by me to remove a copyright image.

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Yeah @corkie, that’s the one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm a bit conflicted on my thoughts on this one. It's fairly light weight but they held back from going too heavy handed on the comedy at least. I feared it would be a rehashing of Tuvix, but that was also avoided. It did give some good character insights into those long lacking them, such as Amanda.

They're leaning real hard into the Spock/Chapel thing, which is a little puzzling. We know it doesn't end well, but it doesn't have the same tragic sense of doom that Pike's fate has.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do not know how you found the episode boring. It had everything some proper StarcTrek New Aliens and Humour too.

And why was the Enterprise sent to investigate something right on Vulcans doorstep. Do the Vulcan Science Academy not own a ship.

Yes I agree that was probably the only thing wrong with this episode that made no sense. But hey space is big they could be up from Vulcan or down. The Vulcans were never that interested in exploring anyway so maybe they just never explored there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At least Spock used the handle in the turbolift.

I still want to know did they still play charades, since Kirk and Spock's mum both said it was an important custom and the reveal wasn't until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Another fine episode, it had a very TOS premise, but I wish they'd kind of move on to something involving the whole crew.

@AMKC Colours are all in your head and don't really exist so aliens identifying themselves by colours is very weird. That said there are thousands if not millions of colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought it was good. Not overly exciting but a good story all the same. There are a lot of those types of mid season episodes in both TOS and TNG that aren’t maybe in anyone’s top 10 but are still good solid episodes all the same. Teenager Spock was pretty funny. I thought they did that well. Nice to see some Amanda backstory too. I wish there were 20’episudes per season as I wouldn’t mind a few more like that.

T'Pring and her father confuse me.

He is massively emotional and it screams Romulan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How do *you* know what a Romulan looks like???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And T'Pril knows and is massively overcompensating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought that was a cracking episode, Spock being human was the best part, but aliens, ancient tech etc... - everything you need in a ST episode

And yes @squonk just not enough episodes in a season

Customer service sucks, no matter the race/technology

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

It would have been an interesting subplot for sure. Woman dissing her future son in law for being half human while hiding her own husbands lineage.

I think he was just there to show what a bee-atch she is however.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Actually a good reason why she should want Spock as son in law... muddy the waters wrt any offsprings genetics.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Every interaction with Spock now seems to be about him wrestling with emotion. Either that or laughing at how square he is.

The SNW Vulcan scenes are also trying too hard to be like the Lower Decks Vulcans. It's tedious listening to himself and T'Pring at this stage.

Spock and Chapel is also very boring to me. She is possibly my favourite character other than that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Very enjoyable episode.

Things I Loved:

*it emphatically doubles down on Enterprise's canonical addition to Vulcans that humans stink.

* the montage of Spocks increasingly emotional reactions to minor things 😄

*the reactions of the crew to the situation.

* Spocks realisation at the end of how much **** his mother has had to put up with as a human on Vulcan .

* how it recontextualises her statement earlier in the episode about how she learned to ignore her own pain when she arrived on vulcan as a way to explain how she could carry a scalding hot kettle .

*they continue to make T'pring sympathetic.

Things I didn't like so much:

*while it was funny ,I thought they made the hen pecked husband a little too emotional for a Vulcan. My head canon is that while the upper crust of Vulcan society like Sarak etc are strict logicians , middle class vulcans like T'prings parents don't have quite as right a grasp on their emotions.

*as much as I've enjoyed this and Spock Amok, can we please have a Spock or Chapel episode that isn't dealing with their complicated feelings toward eachother.

Post edited by PhiloCypher on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it even if its canon bending or breaking.

Vulcans have a fleet of ships, why did they need a Starfleet vessel.

Or not notice it until now?

Other than that , grand episode.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I did laugh a lot during that episode.

They never stated their SLA and where was the post support call Trustpilot survey? 👀😋

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Unless I mean they invited Sam to join them after how Spock spoke to him. 😀

But yeah I meant Pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Enjoyed that. That's two episodes soon after each other where they delved into characters and their lives more. I felt connection to Ortegas episode and now coming away from this one with how deeply Spock and Chapel were towards each other.

Ship felt very bigger and fancier in downtime than I had in my head. Kinda felt a bit of a lower decks vibe to the recreation time.

The Kerkhovians.... hmmmmm... now that caught my attention. Felt a bit of a combo of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Borg Transwarp Conduits, Bajoran Wormhole Aliens. Closest to the Bajoran Wormhole Aliens but maybe not to their level yet. Though maybe Pah-wraiths ... hmmm.. not sure, the Pah-wraiths felt further along too.

Cool to see Mia Kirshner over from Star Trek: Discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 30,867 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I imagined it more as something of a universal signifier - to ease communication they identify themselves as universal wavelengths that everyone will have some name for, in the same way as mathematics are often used as a universal language.

A more lightweight episode, but a fun one, and I quite enjoyed it anyway. Felt quite sorry for T'pring by the end, having been the most understanding thoughtful partner he could hope for over the 2 seasons, she's really getting the raw end of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm starting to wonder if Father Dougal received training on Vulcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

A decent episode that tip-toed up to the line of full blown sitcom but managed to avoid crossing it. The bits with Chapel and the other crew trying to interact with the aliens saved the episode from descending into pure sitcom. But I do agree that the the Vulcans would have already thoroughly researched alien archeological sites in their own system. The story needed a small bit of justification as to why Starfleet were conducting the survey and not the Vulcan science academy.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' Ethan Peck explains how Discovery's Michael Burnham helped define Spock's human side.

At this point in his life, [Spock is] really learning how to be human. I think the journey he was really set off on [was] inspired by Michael Burnham in Discovery. She really tells him, "This is an important part of you and essential to who you are and the way you solve problems." Which is what Spock is. He's a great problem-solver.

For peat's sake, will the media sites stop trying to connect things back to the 'Goddess Burnham' :-(

• Advertisement

Can Discovery get the Prodigy treatment next?

Advertisement