Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentation Purchasing a Boat

Options
  • 12-07-2023 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

If i was to buy a yacht between 40 & 50 years old; what documentation would i expect to see? Builder's Cert? Optional Registration? Hopefully previous Bills of Sale or Receipt of Sale etc. I've hearad of Maritime & coastal Agency UK Bill of Sale templates been used in Ireland; is that correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Boats are not cars, there is no registry, no logbook, no paperwork worth talking about. You might get receipts for any recent equipment installed or changed out, engine services etc. You can't even be sure the fella selling the boat is legit! If you want to avoid the doubt, use a well known brokerage, they will at least have as much paperwork as is possible to supply.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

On a boat that old the best bit of paperwork would be a surveyor report, if it hasn't got a recent one you should get one done you will probably need it for insurance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

No formal paperwork. Bill of sale is usually the most formal bit of paperwork to show the sale and new owner. Other paperwork & records really depends on the previous owner/owners and what records they kept and passed on with each sale. You'll need the survey for insurance and piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We bought a boat of indeterminate age (1970's-ish), and got a 4-inch thick folder of every bit of paperwork, research, receipt and notes that the previous owners had kept! But I suspect this is the unusual end of the spectrum.

Def, as Fergal said above, a survey commissioned by you is your most important bit of paper by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

VAT Receipt or documentation showing VAT was paid or you may be liable for VAT again at some stage. Check very carefully with revenue on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Older vessels built before 1985 are deemed VAT paid if they were in the EU on December 31, 1992. You very likely will not have VAT paperwork on a 40/50 year old leisure boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fiachra7

I'm new to this but I think its relevant to the thread.

I'm thinking of selling a barge that I did a lot of work on. However, when I bought her, it was in cash, no documents, no bill of sale and she had no name, number or anything. So I have no documents whatsoever.

So my question is, would a lack of documents put off potential buyers? or is there anything I can do help sell her?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A recent engineers report will be the most important bit of paper you can have , if you don't have one and you are looking for a few quid the new owner will probably request one of their own and have the boat check in and out of the water before they decide to buy.

Depending on age, VAT documentation would be pretty far up the list for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It's down to the buyer generally and how keen they are to buy what you have. A surveyor's report is a must as Fergal mentioned. far better for you to have one done as any serious buyer would ask to see it. That overcomes the first big hurdle. VAT possibly is not a big issue IMO if you can prove ownership for several years in the RoI (steel barges tend not to cross the Irish Sea!). Have you mooring receipts, invoices, etc., that could identify age/lenght of ownership? You can draw up yoour own bill of sale and include a declaration on your ownership, duration, etc. It's not as if we're talking six-figure sums here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fiachra7

A surveyor's report sounds like a must so I can get that done. I don't have mooring receipts since she's on land but I would have receipts for the work that was done on her.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Advertisement