Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound of freedom

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was in the Light House one Friday evening a few months back and a fire alarm forced the evacuation of the cinemas and entire building. Everyone stood outside in the chilly spring weather, but ultimately had to leave as there was no indication when things would get back up and running.

Didnt think it at the time, but “they” were clearly trying to suppress Evil Dead Rise, the film “they” didn’t want you to see 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The first woman who screamed at staff was middle aged. The other women were, if I had to guess in their late 20's/early 30's and all involved had strong Dublin accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Really well made movie that i enjoyed. Would recommend anyone to park their bias and go see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah ok, cool. Wasn't quite the demographic that'd I've guessed but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I really enjoyed this review (it's not Kermode and Mayo, both must be on their holiers), the issue is very eloquently put. I particularly liked the beginning and how the critic explained how a review can't be objective, it gave me a new perspective on something that I have found particularly frustrating lately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reminds me of the time back in 2004 when myself and some friends went to the cinema to see Starsky & Hutch. Would’ve been 15-16 at the time.

We were standing outside the cinema afterwards having a chat when a friendly guy around our age came up to us and started casually chatting to us. He asked what we thought of the film. It was Starsky & Hutch, so we were like ‘eh, it was grand I guess’. Then the guy’s mum came up and started chatting to us too. She was like ‘oh, we’re part of a church group and we’re all going back for tea & biscuits to have a chat about the film after if you’d like to join’. This naturally left us very confused, and we politely declined.

Only twigged looking at the schedule after to figure out what was going on that it was also The Passion of the Christ opening night 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

...the critic explained how a review can't be objective...

Honestly, be it film games or whatever, it's remarkable how this still needs to be outlined. A truly subjective review would be a very dull, perfunctory thing.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I get what you're saying, and a review from one specific angle I would find hard to get through. But I found it to be a good insight into the modern critic; put it this way I won't be getting as wound up about it now as much as I used to. She was transparent about it at least.

For sure; the comments were frothing for Mark to review it but as much as I like the guy, and would broadly share his political alignment, his polemics are often more than a bit juvenile and reductive. The replacement in that video, she put it elegantly, honestly and a good summary of the main problems of the film's background. While still outlining the film doesn't appear to be that good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,289 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cinema that decides to show a film secretly doesn't actually want people to see it.

Yeah, these people are certainly not the sharpest knives in the drawer!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭santana75

So i went to see this earlier and overall I think it's a good enough movie. Taking the film on its own merits I'd have to say the screenplay is poor. The dialogue is over ripe, like the line "God's children are not for sale" made me cringe. Someone in the production dept needed to call that one out before it got anywhere near being Committed to film. And there were plenty of other examples of desperate dialogue, which for me personally is something that I find difficult to overlook. The writing was contrived aswell. I feel that in the hands of a pro screenwriter, for example Tony Gilroy, this would've been an amazing film because the story is very strong, but bad dialogue makes it ham fisted. The cinematography is actually quite good and the child actors are excellent, they really put in exceptional performances. I found though that it got better as it went along and by the end I was quite invested in how things would turn out. All in all its a decent movie but could've been so much better in the hands of high calibre screenwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'd suspect a fair portion of the audience consisted of Irish "patriots" of the type who harrass library staff and picket new housing developments on the perceived basis that they're being built to house "unvetted military age men".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,203 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

if they are on twitter, they definitely have an Irish flag or two flag on their bios

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched it this week. I enjoyed it overall. Got quite tense towards the end. Some scenes dragged a bit. I don't think Jim Caviezel did a great acting job. He seemed a be overacting in parts of it - seems a bit too intense. And this has nothing to do with political views. I know very little about that other than the posts which have taken up 90% of this thread.

Caviezel was easily the weakest actor in Person of Interest and that's saying something

Advertisement