Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K24 (I hate 2K)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The WWE games don't have a great rep either. There's talent in 2K, but they're silenced by suits who only want to implement as much mt's as they can. And like you said, too many idiotic yearly fans spending literal thousands on it. Come on already EA!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say, the pro play animations and ai are just class. I'm playing with the Bulls and they are all so true to life (unfortunately) then in my key games, I'm up against other star centers, last 2 games were against Jokic and Embid, they were so real to life, was crazy, really sucks you into the game, every possession feels like a battle. Shutting them down defensively felt great but then Lavine wouldn't stop throwing up brick 3's costing us the game.

Great session last night. Up against AD and then Wemby, both intense battles like I said in my last post. Really gives a sense of importance to career games when you are trying to get a better performance grade and win the game. Brought Spurs to OT but my goddamn Bulls were doing everything to lose it. Frustrating, just like watching them in real life.

Beat Magic as my Granda Truck, he got 1 more assist than allowed to get 2 stars which meant i missed out on a custom Celtics Truck Jersey so will definitely go back to that one, at least they are replayable. The best flashback is Truck's last game where I'm playing Jordans Bulls.i have to outscore him and win which is gonna be tough but if you get 3 stars, you win a Jordan Jersey which i really want.

Headed then to street ball court to take on the next boss. Ended up shutting the court down (lead by 6 and then pull off some flashy finishes). All the whole earning handy vc from daily and weekly tasks which are much more reasonable this year.

Did all this as a 70 rated player which felt good, the vc has been coming in fairly steady although it's still too expensive to upgrade. Saying that, I tried maxing all the skills i cared about and i went to an 87, saw it would cost 200k to get there. It's weird as there were very few attribs left to increase so no idea how I'd get to 99 but the good news looked that i wouldn't even have to upgrade past 90 for the build i want so there's that i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭BrentMused

I used to love 2K but haven't played in years.

Is it possible to actually be competitive without dropping additional money on the game?

The concept of MyPlayer and the park etc seems really cool, but I don't really have any interest in spending €70 on a game to then realise it's impossible to compete without dropping hundreds extra on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Have to say, the gameplay itself is really good. Playing with the Bulls too for a change, as a 7 foot center. The build is a 2 way inside-in-the-arc threat.

The pro play animations are brilliant. I love the focus on basketball in my career. I just played 10 games in the NBA before exploring anything else. The ability to skip everything bar key games is a great addition in such a long season. Little touches like the pre-game shootaround helping your takeover boost is nice. Same with having a practice arena and gym accessible in the arena where you play games. The streetball stuff is great with a daily challenge and a pyramid of opponents to beat at each court, where you select your teammates and matchups.

The issues with the game are fairly obvious. Riddled with MTX - very high cost to upgrade your player (though at least it's possible to earn a decent amount of VC - more so than I remember last year) I'm not against the badge progression/regression system in theory, but in practice it's impossible to balance. Some badges trigger all the time and never progress. The old system was so much better. The draining of your teammate grade is extremely harsh - e.g. I had 60% contest on a shot, and got a 'defensive breakdown' and most of the meter drained. Not every missed shot is a bad shot, etc.

Cut down the cost of each build by half (or retire a build and get some VC refunded), revert to the old badge system and tweak the teammate grading, and this would be an awesome game.

Can't wait to get into some games online.

• Advertisement

2K giving everyone 10K VC and other goodies of you log in by September 30th. I started a new build as my Big was just not fun to play as this year, very different from last year. Went with an SF 6'8 which I've never used before that has 3's, dunks, passing, handles, perimeter D, blocks, D rebounds and very fast. Even as a 66 rated player, having a ton of fun. Nailing 3's and almost getting triple doubles each game, completely different experience to my big.

Thanks for the heads up - would have totally missed that otherwise.

That 10K VC went straight into myplayer to bring him up to a 78 or 79.

Update today buffed badge progression and nerfed regression, well needed!

Definitely noticed a difference with badge progression, but still finding some of them very inconsistent to trigger.

I actually got a few silver tonight and it's finally worth doing practice drills to boost them as well. Up to 70 at the moment which is good going seeing as it's my 3rd build! Finally happy with my build as well but that's just career games. Need to practice my shot at Gatorade gym and try some online.

Speaking of, Gilberto, if you're reading this, thanks for the add through 2K. Looks like you deleted your account on here and can't message from PS to xbox so not sure how we'll coordinate but me and v3ttel above would be on for park games.

• Advertisement

Ha, this guy is doing a no money spent playthrough which is really refreshing to watch as every other youtuber is an instant 85 with a few 100k to spend.

It'd be great to have another person, rather than a randomer.

Up to 79 overall now and very much enjoying the grind. I've read that builds cost about 110K VC less this year, though just presuming that's right.

Really happy with my build. The mid-range and hook shots are good options whenever a team can guard the rim really well.

I'm up to 69 and agree I'm actually enjoying building him up. Apparently it's much cheaper to get to 85 this year but then starts getting expensive to 90 and crazy from 90 to 99. Checking my stats, I'll have what i want by 85 and maybe 88 will be bonus stuff. After that, it will be attributes i don't use like interior defense so no need to waste vc on them. I don't get 99 builds as the cost of them is way too much for a lot of stuff they won't even use.

Getting nice steady vc from nba games, daily and weekly tasks to keep things going. Have my 3 maxed at 85 and perimeter d at 80 with high speed. Working on getting my passing up but already happy with my low rated build.

Same, I'm having a ton of fun and feel like my build is good enough to perform decently. It's obviously going to be different online with all the people who paid straight to go to 85 on day 1, as they're probably 92+ minimum, but the grind is part of the fun.

Right, brought my 3pt SF online with V3ttel and I couldn't get my shot timing down with the latency, couldn't hit a single shot (all open looks) and my player was useless every where else. He's a lot of fun to use in career mode but definitely not an online build. So, for the 4th time, I started a new build and gone back to my center roots. Using everything I learned so far, I was able to make a center exactly how I want to play and he even starts with good stats in the important areas. My first career game rated a 63, 19 points, 16 rebounds, 4 assists and a block, ton of fun and barely unlocked his potential so i think this one's a keeper.

Look at this bollox. On day 1, they nerfed post hooks for centers as they the green window was too big. All of a sudden, my C couldn't hit any close shots, right by under the basket of there was anyone nearby. Even a 6' guard standing with hands down, my 7' would brick the standing layup. Also, even with 80 standing dunk, he works never dunk it, just awful brick layup animation. 2K said not related to hook nerf. Today, 3 weeks later, they scale back the nerf and close shots start working again. Not only that my C is now doing plenty of dunks, even postering people, it's great. My newest C build is a 71 and I'm finding it very slow to upgrade him so i went back to my original build C which is a 78 and much higher defence, passing and dunk stats. Low close shot but actually making close shots now. Absolutely great fun to play with all of a sudden, i just wish i made him faster but I'll take the speed hit if it means i can get to an 85 faster.

I could have spent 3 weeks building him up, I'd be a 90 by now instead of taking 3 new builds to 70 each to try out. It's so **** they they can wreck a build and not let you respec but the majority online complain and just but vc for their new build.

Anyway, more you live and learn with this game, gotta wait a month before buying.

Right, since they fixed standing dunk, went back to my original build, got him to 86 and ventured online and had a great laugh.... when i wasn't waiting for a game. V3ttel joined on with a class mid range game and the only thing stopping us were iso god guards and awful teammates, badly need a 3rd person. V3ttel, sorry didn't get your middy's recorded in these, next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

Probably pick this up when it inevitably gets put on sale next month.

Its such a pity that its surrounded by micro transactions etc. Under the hood its an incredibly deep game that has so much higher skill level than FIFA or any other rubbish EA pump out.

Yupp, they know they have a great game and have absolutely taken advantage of basketball fans with it, basically blue meth.

Myself and V3ttel on park again last night, found a random who was actually decent, went on a 5 win streak, lost 1 and then won about 7 if not more in a row, such a great game when you have people who pass and have even the slightest basketball IQ.

• Advertisement

For the first time in a few years, we managed to get 3 of us from boards to squad up thanks to crossplay. Had our first games tonight and even though we were treated 88, 84 and 72, we went on a win streak against 90+ players, just a great buzz playing proper basketball.

Been lashing away at this with V3ttel and there's definite trend. If either of us play solo, it's a guarantee **** show and extremely hard to win a game. When we play together, it's easy more fun and we won a few even with a bad teammate. And then we come across a decent teammate, not 95+ or anything, just decent Bball IQ and we go on streaks against other teams full of 95+ players and it's awesome. Couple of highlights from tonight, i tried a new build with 3 pt shooting as inspired by V3ttel hitting so many mid range shots and this is the first 2K ever I've hit a 3 ball playing online. Latency is still awful but getting to learn the lag and shooting takeover definitely helps.

More highlights from tonight, this time with V3ttel's new build that has a 3pt spot and nailing them. Both now able to hot 3's as well play inside, post up, pass and defend, just increased our enjoyment with this something else.

Some more highlights from myself and V3ttel dominating online.

This game has gone down to half price in some recent sales and i can see it going down again for Christmas. If anyone has picked it up or planning to, me and V3ttel looking for a 3rd to play with us. We finally figured out how to shoot online (if you have been paying 2K in Ireland the last few years, you'll know how big a deal that is). Here's some highlights from season 2. Season 3 just started and they buffed shooting to make it easier if you're open but now the randoms who don't pay defense are causing the other team to rain 3's. Gimme a shout if you want to team up with us some night.

I know I'm talking to myself in here but ya never know, someone might see the vids and think 'hey, that looks fun, I'll jump on' so I'll keep em coming. Season 3 off to a great start, myself and V3ttel went on a 13 win streak in Park and only stopped because the server emptied (usually happens if people refuse to play us anymore and switch server. Wouldn't blame em with V3ttel hitting a half court shot an all. And to think, both of us wouldn't even dream of making a 3 in previous 2k's now making em rain.

Honestly some of the most fun I've had playing any game online.

I've gone from 26 straight loses in a row in Season 1, not being able to make a single shot, to shooting 73.4% from 3 in Season 3 (thought obviously not sustainable, but pretty cool to have a night like that) and being most of the way to the purple MVP rating.

If anyone has picked this up in a sale or anything and wants to play, give us a shout. It's so satisfying to play as a team & share the ball.

Few more highlights off myself and V3ttell. Lots of new low level players due to Christmas/sales so if anyone has picked this up and wants to join us online, give me a shout.

Season 4 has now started and me and V3ttel ended up with cracking Season 3 results. Both of us finishing with over 78% win rate on over 300 games. Never experienced anything even close to that in previous 2K's. Between both of us playing and coming across really good randoms that we added to friends list, had a solid 3 man team most nights which really helped. I still hate 2K but loving this game and it's all down to teaming up with V3ttel and finding new people online.

Anyone fancy jumping into this at any time, let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

300 games 😯 That's a lot of games Zero.

Advertisement