Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc V Rim. The Final Word

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

As @Macy0161 says, gravel bikes themselves are ideal for someone who wants to get out on the bike, and may not be interested in racing, FTP etc.

"Gravel" as a cycling concept has flourished for more or less the same reason, I think. Removal of the competitive end of cycling, no 'roadman' nonsense, less rules about the clothing, the type of bike etc. etc. The idea of 'rides over races', and the more ( perhaps perceived) egalitarian nature of it appeals to people who may be new to cycling, or may have been put off by the sport aspect of it.

As regards the price increase, a huge part of it was driven by shortages during COVID. I ordered a (gravel) bike during the pandemic, and over the 6 months it took to arrive, I watched the price increase by 200 quid. Just like the price of petrol and electricity, companies are quick to add on costs, but not so quick to take them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Front brake super important on mtb, so the benefit of disc over rim is massive with extra stopping power and modulation. Even a poorly setup v-brake should be well capable of locking up a rear wheel so the disc isn't as important on the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I looked at this as a possible winter bike, unfortunately a bit too small for me but it's really nice, rides and brakes very well, it's like new and someone will get a really good bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I don't miss cleaning aluminium slurry off my road and mountain bikes when they had rim brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ottolwinner

I’ve only disc on my mountain bike good and all as they are I’m happy out with rim breaks on my other bikes.

Coppi San Remo and a Litespeed

I never like stopping on a pin unless it’s mtb. Always prefer to surf a route that doesn’t require too much braking.

eventually I’ll have to make the change but happy to hold off. The added service time needed puts me off right now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What are people’s experiences with disc brakes squeaking when wet? They make some racket when it’s wet! What causes this? Is it down to lack of maintenance or do they all squeak when it’s wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

No they all don't. If a disc brake is quiet in the dry and starts squealing in the wet it may be that it has picked up contamination from the wet roads. Its usually worse riding in a group where spray from the wheels in front gets on the rotors. The problem is then that once you get some oil on the pads, it can be difficult to remove it and people don't always bother.

I don't tend to ride in groups of any great size and generally don't have noise issues with the brakes, wet or dry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

First grab of the brakes and they make noise, but if you release and then grab again the water clears and they are OK. Sometimes, maybe.

I've cleaned my rotors and pads but I don't ride in the rain much. The other week I got caught in a few showers and there was no noise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Have had v little or no noise from my ultegra discs, tho I don't ride the bike in the wet much and clean it every month or so. The pads on my carbon rim brakes are noisier, make a whoosh electric car type noise when pulling slowly at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I find the best solution is a couple of taps on the earphones to increase volume cures it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I always found that the pads on the rear got contaminated quicker, but there's obvious reasons for that, the spray from the front wheel ends up on them.

Advertisement