Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc V Rim. The Final Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was common for MTB's to have rim brakes on rear and disc up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What was the thinking behind that out of interest?

I'm finding it almost impossible to find any half decent new bikes with rim brakes now. The industry seems to have gone all in on disc. I'm even more screwed as a Campy disciple... pretty much no new bike for sale in the entire galaxy that fits my wish list. Big big change in the market in just a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've no idea - not into MTBing.

I bought a bike with discs recently and I'm converted. When I ride one of my other bikes now the braking feels crap. Chalk and cheese. I won't be going back.

I've got both. I'm perfectly happy with my rim bike once the cable tension is set right and the pads are Swissstop. Nothing against disc other than aesthetics and them being more fiddly for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

2 words...direct mount !! not as good as disk(dont like'em) but better than std single bolt mount

maybe even only on last gen high end frames,...Canyon Aeroad had them , Colnago Vr series(an option)..POG used (uses?) them sometimes, some of the last Trek Emonda and Giant TCR's ?. I think you can still get Chinese frames DM (if you dare)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Partly came out from impoverished riders wanting to move to a disc set-up but not being able to replace the entire frame, so a fork swap-out would allow them to convert the most important brake to disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Didn't Spa cycles or some UK manufacturer release an audax,/touring bike with both in around 2015 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I was in the same boat as you a few months back. Wanted a new frame in rim brake.Just had too many wheelsets to justify a new disc frame.

Ended up getting an ELVES Falath Pro 2022 with direct mount brakes.

However like your good self endowed with excellent taste in Campagnolo ,the eps cables would not fit through the guides in the frame ..not even close to justify the use of a dremel so opted for Force etap shifting with chorus cranks,chain, cassette and direct mount brakes.

The direct mount brakes are deffo a step up from standard but cant comment on how they against disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Discs all the way. I love mine.

But that first grab of the brakes after it starts to rain, the screech always scares the bejaysus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Anyone who says they've changed to discs and wouldn't go back, I'm always curious as to what bikes they have and had. If you had a mediocre rim braked bike around 7.5 to 8kg and you changed to a higher up the range disc bike coming in at similar weight then I could well understand the sentiment. But if you had a top tier, say 6.3kg rim braked bike, cervelo R5, canyon cf SLX, cannondale supersix evo hm, trek emonda slr, etc. And you went from that to a fairly top end disc bike, you're still looking at or around 7.5kg, and there's simply no hiding that kind of a weight differential. Of course they're all great bikes and new bikes are lovely and disc brakes brake really well but there's nothing like the feeling of riding a featherweight bike and disc braked bikes do not offer that. At least not yet anyway.

But I've no doubt but that that will be the next big thing. Superleggera disc bikes. And I'm not convinced that the current crop of 8kg superbikes will age well and be desirable used buys in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Went from disc back to rim.

For a number of reasons

Cost of bikes and value in rim brake frames

Cost of wheelsets

Only time I notice difference is on steep descents tbh especially when it's wet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Some people aren't as focused on weight as you though. To them, an extra kilo when you're not racing is barely worth the difference of having better brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Current disc bike is about 7.3kg

I have/had the following rim brake bikes (~approx weights):

• Cervelo R3 (~7-7.5kg)
    • Cervelo S3 (~7.5-7.8kg)
    • Cervelo P3 (~beats me)
    • Wilier Cento Uno (~7-7.5kg)
    • Wilier Zero 7 (~5.5kg)
    • Specialized Allez (alu frame, so who cares)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I have spare wheels, groupset and frames to keep me in rim brakes for many a year to come.

Real shame that seem to have stopped making higher end rim brake framesets. Luckily I have a taste for retro, plus a couple more modern carbon ones.

Cost of groupsets is mad for disc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Exactly, weight isn't everything.

Anyway no point to this thread as the rim brake bikes are just a thing if the past now. Discs are the now and here to stay. I still ride a rim brake but have long accepted their progression, it's over 10 years now, time to move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Pinarello Dogma F, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Trek Emonda SL, as well as StanderTriebwerk and old style Colnagos are all available as rim brake frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Love my disc brakes on the good bike, just far better at stopping, and I'd rip down descents on the hydraulic discs knowing I can slow much later going into turns etc. Definitely wouldn't have that confidence my carbon wheel rim brake setup on the older machine. I do like the bike, it even looks lighter. The braking still does the job but not nearly as efficiently. Plus it's annoying how expensive carbon purpose brake pads are in comparison to how fast they wear and they're getting increasingly difficult to find. Soon as my 2 rim brake wheelsets wear out I'd probably retire that frameset.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's a bottle of water. Who cares.

My argon 18 x road is around 7.5kg , and that's old tech really. I could make it lighter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I say above as someone who has both. 3 of each,. Hydraulic discs are just better for stopping.

Plenty bemoaning their tyre clearance too on their rim bikes too. Rarely a problem with discs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Stopping isn't everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Stopping isn’t everything, weight isn’t everything, pure performance isn’t everything.

Each to their own, just frustrating the choice on rim/disc isn’t always there in some brands.

Choice for consumers is good, regardless of preference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

S-Works Aethos disc comes in around 6.5 kg or lighter (if you have 13000 spare)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

N+1 will be disc for me - I was a bit more on the fence until I got a gravel bike with hydraulic's (having had mechanical before that). Wider clearance an added plus, and while disc wheelsets maybe more expensive, there isn't the same issue of wear.

My cycling would be more helped by me losing the weight of any of the bikes quoted above, rather than being concerned with a kg either way on the actual bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when disc first came in a lot of frames didn't have rear disc mounts. but forks were redesigned quicker. even though they didn't cope very well with rotational forces from brakes on on side.

Choice is great. Remember the furore when disc was first going to be introduced - how it was going to cause carnage, sever limbs, cause 1st degree burns etc. And that it was an unnecessary change driven by greed of manufacturers etc. Turns out it's actually great tech and suits a lot of people. It's just a pity that it's gone 180 degrees and now what suits a lot of other people - rim brakes - isn't being offered. At the risk of going off topic, as well as the lack of choice, the cost of mid-range bikes also seems to have sky rocketed since 2019. It could just be perception on my part, but there seems to be very limited options out there at the moment. Possibly things have been distorted by the surge in popularity over the same timeframe of 'gravel' - meaning that stock capacity for road bikes has been reduced to allow for more gravel bikes.

TLDR? I'm a very grumpy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I got some sort of contaminant on my disc brakes on my hybrid commuter around a year ago. Still has not worn off, presumably it is on the pads not the disc itself. Screeches every time I brake. it's great!

I will be gutted when i eventually lose this warning mechanism. So handy when a pedestrian is walking in front of me glued to their phone or something and tapping the brakes alerts them to my presence without feeling as aggressive as calling out to them would. I have some parts of my commute which are either officially shared between bikes and pedestrians or another part which is a quiet cul de sac (for cars - cars and bikes can pass through it) where the footpaths are narrow and pedestrians routinely walk along the road.

Just this morning I had a 5/6/7 year old pumping along on his little bike straight towards me with his head down. A tap of the brakes and he looked up, saw me and moved to his own side of the road (on that quiet cul de sac).

That howl drives me mad on my CX bike in the wet. Don't know how you live with it!

Possibly things have been distorted by the surge in popularity over the same timeframe of 'gravel' - meaning that stock capacity for road bikes has been reduced to allow for more gravel bikes.

TLDR? I'm a very grumpy man.

A grumpy man who hates "gravel"! 😀

Price of complete bikes seems to have gone up massively between bike to works for me anyway, just wouldn't be convinced it's down to Gravel!

LOL. No, don't hate gravel at all. Have a CX bike that I switch to gravel in the summer. I just find it really interesting how quickly it was embraced by the entire cycling industry - from UCI, to bike manufacturers to 'road' cycling magazines. I think there's an element of the manufacturers figuring that there's more money to be made there than with mid-level road bikes. Could be completely wrong, just find it curious that at the same time as there's an upsurge in availability of gravel bikes there seems to be a drop off in choice on the road scene.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more drop off in sales of endurance bikes, and the move to wider tyres. If someone new asked me for starting off with no intention to race (so looking for a relaxed geometry), gravel bikes offer greater flexibility.

Advertisement