Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty and the Car

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned in another thread, where i work you have to declare gifts greater than a value of €50, IIRC - it's not tax related, but simple corporate governance over concerns of the donor gaining influence over decision making. apparently morrissey did run this past the higher ups in RTE and they saw no issue - i wonder how they'd react where i work if i told them i'd been offered something worth ten figures by a customer.

and yes, you could argue that it'd be different if he was a current affairs reporter rather than a sports reporter - but what company would allow a differentiation of staff like that, where some staff are allowed receive large gifts and others aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yeah, what's a 70,000 euro tax bill between friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Where exactly is that figure coming out of ? Surely any liability is between him and Revenue ?

This is really making mountains out of molehills .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So he bartered his time and celeb status for a free car or cars. And gained financially, substantially.

He and Tubs are in the same water, having part of their incomes derived from bartering and either they or companies avoiding tax.

Doesn't wash.

I'd expect Revenue then to be investigating these players and managers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Serious allegation there against Tubridy.

From all accounts that have come out so far, he wasn’t involved in any bartering of his services, and he has stated that all his taxes are up to date.

Do you know different?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

sure after five years its not worth buttons

this is all a smoke screen

The internet isn’t for everyone

Read the words - "having part of their incomes derived from bartering and either they or companies avoiding tax"

Marty has been bartering his reputation and time for a car or cars.

Tubridy has had his fees topped up by barter arrangements between RTE and other companies.

Both have benefited from this type of very questionable practice.

Surely many individuals and companies sweating and looking into their arrangements as matter of urgency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure if i understand you? they didn't hand him a five year old car. on the face of it, they gave him a new car. which he's had for five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Also how can we be sure that it was the same car for the duration of the 5 years, know Ren-alt they would not want Marty to be seen in anything less than a 2/3 year old car. Also would marty be able to tax and insure a car that the didn't actually own............think you need a vehicle reg cert to do the first taxing of a vehicle, so its likely Ren-alt were covering these items also.........?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Marty must have a company to write yx stuff off through. He's able (well able) to charge for doing MC at different events like Strictly and Movie nights around the country, plus he has his Marty's Party side gig.

He's have an accountant I'm sure keeping that side straight unless he's a complete eegit, which, while not out of the question, is probably not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

like i said now it is worth hardly anything after him having it for five years, most gaa managers and players get a loan of a car and it is promotion that helps sell cars

say the car was 25k new if they sold it then it likely cost renault 8k to buy at cost price so that is all the car cost, its not tens of thousands

stupid story to cover up some other nonsense

The internet isn’t for everyone

This is not difficult - the value of the car *now* is not the same as the value of the gift to him.

Otherwise you'd be able to claim the value of having been taken to a posh restaurant is zero a day afterwards because the food you ate now has no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Get Real

Really don't get this one. He's not a publicly elected representative or something.

Whatever private contracts he had with a private company is his business.

Can a fireman not teach a private CPR course on his days off?

Can a solicitor who avails of the legal aid scheme not also provide private advice?

Can my sister who works in an office not work at a hairstylist on Saturdays?

It's prime headline material and immediately creates a "RTÉ, free car, let's get angry!!!"

It didn't cost the state anything. It wasn't on Rte grounds. It wasn't some gift of a car to a politician to influence car policies.

Then when that's pointed out, people go down the tax route when it turns out the private contract isn't actually a scandal at all.

He might be public in the sense that we know him on the telly. But he's a private individual who can make whatever contractual arrangements he wants. And has the same privacy as any example above. It's between him, his accountant and revenue.

Is that you Marty…? Is it public transport for ya today to get to croke park….?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He said he made an error of judgement on this.

That means he has not paid the BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Not if his Private interests conflict with his job. RTE could have used Marty as an employee to promote RTE, not Marty promoting RTE. everyone knows Marty charges a hefty fee for 'appearance' money at functions. How much of that has been declared is a question that should be asked.

A fireman cannot do private work if he/she is a public sector worker without the approval of their employer. I have seen this applied in a different sector in Education where people were attempting to run a 'private' enterprise in conflict with their day jobs. You have to declare, and get approval for outside employment. Not doing so leaves you open for sanction.

Yes, your sister can work as a hairstylist as long as it doesn't conflict with her work as a public sector worker, and not using her profile to get wor5k to the detriment of their employer.

Yes, it did cost the state. He has to pay BIK for the use of the car. That is a direct cost to the state, and the bigger question is has Marty been claiming mileage for a car he doesn't own or has to pay for? That is a direct cost to the state.

Marty's arrogance is well-known within the GAA and RTE. If anyone looks under the carpet theirs plenty more to find.

Think you put ‘Get real’ back in his box there nicely…😀😀

One observation though. Didn’t Marty say he charged no appearance fees for his Ren-alt ‘work’…….? Appears this is just a bit of a joke and in some way trying to lighten the severity of his ‘mistake’….?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

I don't know about Marty Ren Alt (the Clare pronunciation) but everyone knows that Marty has a cost for Dinner Dance appearances etc. I have no doubt that he declares all his income.. cash and cheques...

Marty's statement "Many of the GAA-related engagements I do, I do at no cost" directly implies he has a cost for other GAA-related events, and as an employee of RTE, and he is one of the few employees at that level, he shouldn't be charging for any GAA related event as this is his role. Either RTE pays him to be there or there should be NO charge at all.

BTW Dooley has said it wasn't Marty he has hinted at, and it's another case. Funny how Marty came out so quickly.. Who's getting cover from this?

• Advertisement

would presenting club medals and doing MC at a club function come under his RTE employment remit though…..not so sure..? Wonder Does he charge for this type of ‘appearance’……the majority of his cost would be the travel expenses in getting to a venue/club ground……with his ‘fully expensed car’ now gone his fees are likely to double/triple..?

You betcha he charges......

... and unless he's chartering a helicopter, it's not just to cover travel expenses.

That's his own business in a lot of ways if he treats it like a business and puts a worth on his time and 'celebrity status', either hire him or don't hire him I guess. But he certainly is not doing it for the love of da game or anything but for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Exactly.

Tubs had no knowledge of this, and how can we expect somebody as busy as him to notice a spare €345k landing into his account. Some weeks he even works up to 10 hours. No idea why the PAC wants to question him, or why he refuses the answer questions without his lawyer present.

Nothing to see here, move along….

Always thought he was too ‘wholesome’ to be true/genuine….!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

BIK is leveled on the original value of the car and dooesn't factor in depreciation, so if it was a 30k car on day 1, each years BIK is due on 30k not a sliding scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I saw Marty pull into a service station a few months ago, pretty sure it was silver SUV

Be a fair man if he had a Renault for 5 years, I hope they were covering the repairs or he'd be broke 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

A Kadjar for an auld codger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

My employers wouldnt buy me a pizza

Advertisement