Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty and the Car

Options
  • 06-07-2023 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Has the ‘house wife’s’ choice for gaa commentating gone out of favour/a step too far by taking the car…?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Yes

Ban him for life.

Couldn't give a shíte tbh.

Real silly season stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's ok. He apologised

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭con747

Error of judgement and mental stress is a good way to not have accountability.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Error in Judgement for 5 Years, Returned this Week

RTE sh!te show continues, the freebies, barter accounts are all being revealed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Has he a bank account, i reckon the tax man will be having a good look at all his returns. Renault are getting their moneys worth in advertising in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’m just surprised a Renault lasted 5 years. Surely it must have been replaced at some stage 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If only Tubridy was on air he could create a diversion for Marty, and talk about some sick relative of his

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Wonder was he declaring it (the car) under BIK in his annual tax return…..? If not he could be facing a hefty bill from the revenue especially if they add in all associated penalties over the last 5/6 years…….we may never see or hear him on tv again 😢😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Expunge

He had a BMW before that.

Must have been a bit of a come down heading home to Quilty in a Renault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Wonder did someone ‘sponsor’ the dental work he appears to have gotten done also……he has a serious set of pearly whites…..😀

I’m sure it was a ‘high performance’ Ren-alt that he was given…hardly a bog standard Megan…?

free ‘Ren-alt’ vs BMW…. Fairly obvious choice…..also he may have squeezed tyres, maintenance/ service costs and possibly even a ‘fuel card’ …those Dublin to Quilty round trips would be saucey on fuel ⛽️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the Renault was merely resting in his driveway

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What he also said is that he receives neither a car nor car allowance from RTE, even though he is basically sent all over Ireland commentating for RTE. It's just strange.

And then Renault hand him a car with no requirement for advertising or to be a "brand ambassador", and of course he thinks nothing of it.

And as mentioned by another poster above, I do wonder if he declared this in his tax returns for Benefit-In-Kind tax. He didn't mention it to RTE apparently, so not sure if he mentioned it to the tax office. Hope there aren't other "errors of judgement" at play here or if perhaps further "reflection" is needed here by Marty.

The BIK issue also gets me thinking, what about other GAA stars who get paid for promotional work etc.

Or even intercounty managers, many of whom it is widely believed are getting paid in some shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

I don't feel he has done anything too wrong here, bit nieve. This was nothing to do with RTE, he provided a service and instead of cash he took use of a Renault... In fairness I'd have taken the money 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭shocs07

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's funny that he explicitly stated 'i wasn't being paid for this gig, so renault gave me a car' as if being given a car is not the same as being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

It shows the RTE culture though, he thought it was fine to take it. Would Renault or any company have offered him a car if he wasn't a commentator and presenter with RTE on TV & radio?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife has had some dealings with a minor celebrity and it's gas how companies will - unsolicited - send her stuff. they'd see her posting on instagram, say, think 'oh, her interests mean she might like our product' and then contact her asking how they can get their stuff to her. and this woman would not be a national name in the way morrissey is.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Agreed, that's why imo he is nieve and made a bad choice here. I would not put him in the same basket as those other crooks in RTE who claim they don't even know their monthly salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Nothing story. He walked into the line of fire by handing it back and the interim DG sold him out during the Oireachtas committee by mentioning it.

the DG knew that was eventually going to be front page news, and clearly didn't want more 'why are we hearing about this through the press?' questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

He hosted a number of GAA-related events for Renault, with players etc, didn't take a fee and was offfered the use of a car by Renault instead. That's what his statement said at least. By all accounts the Renault Ireland head is a big GAA fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Loads of people not with RTE get a loan of a car if they are doing a job that requires it.

Also celebrities get free sht all the time. I have seen it first hand.

Taken in isolation from the wider RTE scandal this really is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Seems the Dooley wasn't referring to Marty when he asked about the car. More miles to go on this story by the looks of things.

a five year 'loan' is not a 'loan'; it's a gift worth tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

He didn't have a car allowance though so it's not the issue they discussed yesterday. No car allowance and a company gave him a courtesy car. It's really no big deal. Most well-known intercounty players have the exact same arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's a nothing story if he has paid BIK and kept Revenue informed of the situation. Otherwise it is a story as a public figure failing to pay his taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Was he ever in favour?

He gets more intolerable every year. This car incident changes nothing.

Advertisement