Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE after Tubsgate.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Tow

What is the cost savings is getting rid of the +1 channels. The electricity for a couple of PCs and someone to babysit them. Shutting down a mux saves much more electricity and frees up equipment to be used as backup/spares. In any event, it will not save much money in the grand scheme of things.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

They are going to continue to hemorrhage your tax money for the foreseeable future.

There , happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭RoTelly

More likely there is the potential of selling that space to competition.

I imagine that 2RN could replace those service with commercial services

• RTÉ ONE +1 - Sky MIX
    • RTÉ 2 +1 - Sky ARTS
    • RTÉ NEWS - Virgin Media ONE +1

This allows them to save on the broadcast of these services while bring in money for the Muxes provided by 2RN.

It will be interesting if any commercial Radio broadcast might take a place on Saorview. I am surprised Nova and Classic Hits don't look to do this.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Can't see why Sky Mix can't be added to the platform. There's an Irish version of it FTA on satellite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It (and Sky Arts) probably will be eventually, I suspect. They’re half way there with the other two FTA Sky channels.

But it’s not for RTE or 2rn to decide to add a channel without the consent of its operator - it’s for Sky to make that approach to 2rn seeking to have the channels added and to agree to pay 2rn the tariff charged.

I don’t see that really this has anything to do with RTE’s cost cutting plan, to be honest.

• Advertisement

I am assuming the RTÉ/2RN now have a relationship with Sky.

There are a number of steps that have to occur before RTÉ can axe any of their broadcast services: -

1. The must make a proposal to the Minister
    2. The Department will then seek info from Stakeholders, The minister may decide that the public should be consulted.
    3. The CnaM (AKA BAI) must then make Strategic Impact Assessment (SIA) on the proposal
    4. The minister must then make the decision to allow RTÉ to axe the service
    5. RTÉ will the have to wind down the services in question

Assuming the request has gone in today Mid-Nov 2023, we can expect 2 and 3 to start in the new year, if they rush the process 2 months to gather the information, then a further month to create the document to present to the minister.

And finally we wait for the minister to make a decision in may June of next year.

If we are lucky with that time frame, I doubt RTÉ have even sent in a proposal.

______

Yesterday

Government approves interim funding of €56 million for RTE subject to conditions. €16 million this year, and €40 million next year.

It has been saved.

No need for change.

Great service.

I am sure you will all agree.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes getting rid of the +1 channels seems completely idiotic. Large numbers of people probably watch the programmes this way. They might be out and about during the live broadcast but back home an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,057 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What would have been the point in leaving them dangling until, say Easter? There was no way the government could have waited to see if reform plans were being fully implemented before bailing them out, they were always going to have to take the 'strategic reform plan' on trust...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So rte will 'lose'400 staff through vol redundancy over 4 years . And how many new will be brought in during that time? How many will be relatives of existing rte staff/talents?

Nothing will change. Rte will never change. And the govt will continue to expect the public to support our national broadcaster. Joke.

They could have waited until the cabinet met or at the very least until the public and staff have seen the full strategic plan.

Do you honestly think they are going to reform RTÉ next Easter when they realize that nothing has really changed at the organization, I doubt it some how.

This will largely implement the funding reform, but largely RTÉ will continue as if nothing happened. I am not sure that is satisfactory.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Yeah it is a strange alright keeping RTÉ GOLD but dropping RTÉ Radio 1 Extra.

______

Yesterday

RTE publishes it’s plan. Called a ‘New Direction’. Closure of +1 versions of RTE 1 and 2 confirmed. Also closing are Radio 1 Extra, 2XM, Pulse and Junior (radio version). Seems that RTE Gold survives.

https://www.rte.ie/documents/eile/2023/11/a-new-direction-for-rte-14-11-23.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Pay of RTÉ’s top stars to be capped at €250k under broadcaster’s cost-cutting plan

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/pay-of-rtes-top-stars-to-be-capped-at-250k-under-broadcasters-cost-cutting-plan/a1059404581.html

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think they see Gold as also complimenting their flagship station RTE Radio 1, if that makes any sense! Although Gold is not included in the JNLR figures, it is rumoured within RTE that it outperforms the other digital radio channels in terms of streams.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

“RTE Player will transform to become one of the main ways people watch live programming”.

Yes, because people love the weirdly psychedelic breakfiller, accompanied by that very strange tone*. And the three pre-roll adverts so you miss the start of the show and every time you change the channel - including to RTE News, which ostensibly doesn’t carry adverts. Or worse, your live feed gets interrupted by more inserted adverts - and the show doesn’t stopping running while you watch the adverts like on broadcast platforms so you miss that crucial goal…

Those are my experiences of being driven daft watching live tv via the RTE Player, over the past six months. But RTE, where will you get the money to improve it when you’re broke?

*To be fair they seem to have introduced a new one recently with loads of red triangles flying about the place.

As for the rest of the plan, there’s no real shocks, it has all really been trailed. Wonder what the plan is for schedule clashes on Radio 1 though.

Here’s a interesting nugget of info on page 23 of RTE’s report. I wonder who will be providing the “expanded choice of free channels and on-demand content” if RTE itself is cutting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Caquas

This is a decisive moment for RTÉ. If this Strategic Plan works, it could give RTÉ a fresh lease on life as a broad spectrum public broadcaster . If not, RTÉ could be reduced to a news and sports broadcaster.

Most politicians think the test of this plan is whether top pay is reduced. I say pay talent what it’s worth - €170K for Tubridy is about right. Anyone who deserves €500K should get out of RTÉ and spread their wings, ideally to the U.S. where no RTÉ alum has ever succeeded.

The test of this plan should be whether it can rejuvenate the creative areas where RTÉ has struggled and failed over many years. The plan says RTÉ will

prioritise support for Irish drama and scripted comedy through the establishment of dedicated development funds, aiming to become a significant originator of series that attract international investment and providing a platform to bring that drama to the world. We will increase original Irish drama to 60 hours per year by 2026 (around a 50% increase), with development starting immediately.

This is an ambitious goal, especially in light of RTÉ’s dismal record in this area. But where will the money come from? I have one simple proposal - replace Fair City with a series of dramas reflecting varied aspects of Irish life.

The history of drama in RTÉ is reflected in the decline of its soap operas. The Riordans was a groundbreaking, technically innovative family drama which gripped the nation in the 1960s. Glenroe carried on in that tradition - Biddy and Miley were bywords - but RTÉ couldn’t cope with a real star like Gabriel Byrne.

And then came Fair City which had an urban setting and contemporary themes but it has dragged on for over three decades. It never matched Glenroe or the Riordans for national impact and it has dwindled into irrelevance. There is a thread for its fans here but it is barely mentioned anywhere else. I think the era of soap operas died with the rise of reality TV. Who wants Carrigstown when you can have the Kardashians? When was the last time the plot of Fair City sparked a national debate? What great actor has been nurtured by it? Of course it gets high ratings- anything would at that time slot. I say - Sell off the set to the fans and let a thousand dramas bloom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DeedsStyle

Gold outperforms Lyric and RnaG, and sometimes even 2fm. Nobody is listening to Junior, nobody is listening to Radio 1 Extra, nobody is listening to 2XM and nobody is listening to Pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If RTÉ had Saorview Connect on new TVs then closing the +1 channels would make no difference to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

@Maigh Eo Exile RE: Page 23

Assuming this will be IP delivered content. There a growing number of channels available on freeview in the UK that form part of the EPG but don’t require a whole lot in terms of mux data.

The loss of RTE R1 extra is a bit daft. Can’t imagine it costs much in terms of programme content, just a body or two to make sure it’s programmed up.

Given the penetration of sky, only having the FM RTE stations carried on Astra seems a missed trick. Surely maximising audience of retained stations must be key to growing audience/ad potential.

And as for the RTE player… scrap it and start again? Monetise it for the international market and make some revenue from the diaspora!

Yes, can’t understand why R1 Extra is to be closed. It’s as near as you’d get to a PSB station IMO. Way more so than RTE Gold or Chill which survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

You are correct, getting rid of RTE Radio1 Extra is a mistake, it has the RTE Variations that MW and LW had, Mass on Sunday's and GAA matches and whatever else. Hope they'll stop and think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Confusion on this too. 4 (2028) years I have seen, others state 2 years?

RTÉ will do little for drama KB knows that they've largely been so bad with Drama that they had to put that.

I will take a deeper look but largely it is uncosted, and goes with much of what they wanted in Strategy 2024, I don't see anything really very new in the plan.

Independent drama accounts for just 2% of RTÉs total budget in 2022, a 50% is contingent largely on other co-producers. Both VMTV and TG4 could do what RTÉ are doing, indeed both have, last week TG4 aired an locally produced English language Drama called Northern Lights, co produced with other European broadcasters and Screen Ireland.

______

Yesterday

So hear me out, largely IMO in terms of services RTÉ plans is much of a muchness to splitting the broadcaster up. The closure of services is really the same a splitting up the organization, though I suppose both plans need government backing and as I have said RTÉ really are not in a position to get government backing for obvious reasons (though I am sure plenty this thread will disagree, hence why I am posting here).

But in relation to the RTÉ +1 channels why close them rather than sell them on? Is there not some good will towards them? again hear me out.

RTÉ ONE +1 has an audience share of between 1% and 1.3%, while RTÉ2 +1 as a part-time channel has 0.3% (it is also not available on Virgin Media Cable AFAIK). Already in todays world you have at least 1 established broadcaster. Surely selling both would more sense considering that 2RN would continue to receive income from both, and there is goodwill to both.

Now clearly you couldn't keep the branding or even the +1 service around for very long ... so could RTÉ come to an agreement with the new owners as part of the sale...

• Branding and Advertising moves to the New service on takeover
    • both +1 schedule remain the same for a month
    • News and sport is taken of both in the second month
    • Irish programming is removed in the third month
    • Finally in the forth month imports are removed
    • The new service enters an arrangement with RTÉ for News and some sports coverage (e.g. News programmes replaced by the new services news but using RTÉ News reports and sports highlights, largely a repeat of those news services on RTÉ just rebranded), again this secures some commercial funding for RTÉ for a few years.
    • RTÉ could also come to an arrangement where the new service take on some of the imports e.g. First run BBC programmes on the new service e.g. EastEnders moves over to the new service while RTÉ repeats it on RTÉ2 the following night at 7pm.

Would there not be some business sense in this rather than simply pulling the plug? RTÉ had wanted a broadcast partner. It is likely with the new owners that RTÉ 2+1 would increase its hours (and most like go on the Virgin Media, which I suggest would increase its audience share) while the new service would have to have an on demand service.

RTÉ could always continue to rent facilities to the new service operator, again bringing in some commercial money into the organisation.

The initial sale might be worth little but future agreements with the new service could provide something on a short term basis at the very least. (and there is the potential the throw the Digital Radio services in with the sale).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

What's planned now is planned with no objections from the public either, so let'em at it.

• Advertisement

No objections from the public, really? Where have you heard that?

Also RTÉ still need to make a proposal to the government to axe RTÉ ONE +1, RTÉ2 +1 and the Digital Radio stations, are you telling me the Department has carried out the review of this proposal, that they have seen the proposal and that the Authority (CnaM) have carried out their Strategic Impact Analysis (SIA) of the proposal.

What was it the current board said about previous plans from RTÉ it was it if was a "fait accompli".

______

Yesterday

Advertisement